Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I want to go to a top university to study Economics next year.

And, I've been accepted to two colleges so far. Those are:
    1. Birbeck (University of London) [Higher Education Introductory Studies Course] - Politics|Psychology|Sociology|Ma ths for Social Scientists

2. KCC (Kensington&Chelsea College) [Access to Social Sciences] - Psychology|Sociology|20th Century History|Antrhopology

I have an interview for one last College on Monday - That course is Access to Social Sciences - Psychology|Sociology|Politics

I REALLY cannot choose which one to go to... and I haven't visited my third choice yet...

KCC:
    -relatively high number of students went to cambridge, LSE from there
    -hard to get to compared to others (a little expensive to travel to- £9~/day)
    -course is not perfect... not SO keen on history or antrhopology, although I don't mind them. It's still a slight negative.
    -courses are in the mornings (great for me!)

Birbeck:
    -Perfect course subjects
    -Very Worried about if the qualification is accepted by the top universities (I've heard many people say it is, and that many got into cambridge, oxford etc... The prob is I do not know myself)
    -cheap to get to (1 bus)
    -classes start late (8pm) this is bad, don't like traveling at night

Morley College:
    -going there on monday for an interview (will ask how many people went to cambridge etc from here last/this year)
    -Good course subjects for me except I may have to take 'social policy' which I'm not too keen on.
    -(I should find out if I have to take extra subjects, and if I can take large amounts of lvl3 credits)
    -2 8pm night classes

I would be grateful if people could somehow help me decide lol
    Or if you could give me more questions to find out from the next place I'm going to.

I appreciate any comments I can get

ReputationRep:
    You should choose which ever access course has the most topics and modules which are relevant to your chosen university degree.

So possibly NOT KCC, but its completely up to you.

Also i believe you should be looking for a Kite Marked access course, this was one of the conditions from the offers i received.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robdoo)
    You should choose which ever access course has the most topics and modules which are relevant to your chosen university degree.

So possibly NOT KCC, but its completely up to you.

Also i believe you should be looking for a Kite Marked access course, this was one of the conditions from the offers i received.
    What is Kite Marked?
    I'm guessing they are all kite marked since they have links to UCL, SOAS and other good London unies?

Well, actually NONE of the courses are relevant to my course (except birbeck maths) lol - The unies just say 'social science' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Robdo is correct there are two types of access course one is QAA accredited (the kite mark) and not QAA Accredited. For a full list of QAA accredited Access courses see this link -
    http://www.qaa.ac.uk/access/full.asp

It might also be worth looking at some of the universities you want to apply to, to see which type of access course they prefer/require and any courses you must have done on entry to a particuliar course. Some are more lenient than others but it is worth checking now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)
    Hi!

I want to go to a top university to study Economics next year.

And, I've been accepted to two colleges so far. Those are:
    1. Birbeck (University of London) [Higher Education Introductory Studies Course] - Politics|Psychology|Sociology|Ma ths for Social Scientists

2. KCC (Kensington&Chelsea College) [Access to Social Sciences] - Psychology|Sociology|20th Century History|Antrhopology

I have an interview for one last College on Monday - That course is Access to Social Sciences - Psychology|Sociology|Politics

I REALLY cannot choose which one to go to... and I haven't visited my third choice yet...

KCC:
    -relatively high number of students went to cambridge, LSE from there
    -hard to get to compared to others (a little expensive to travel to- £9~/day)
    -course is not perfect... not SO keen on history or antrhopology, although I don't mind them. It's still a slight negative.
    -courses are in the mornings (great for me!)

Birbeck:
    -Perfect course subjects
    -Very Worried about if the qualification is accepted by the top universities (I've heard many people say it is, and that many got into cambridge, oxford etc... The prob is I do not know myself)
    -cheap to get to (1 bus)
    -classes start late (8pm) this is bad, don't like traveling at night

Morley College:
    -going there on monday for an interview (will ask how many people went to cambridge etc from here last/this year)
    -Good course subjects for me except I may have to take 'social policy' which I'm not too keen on.
    -(I should find out if I have to take extra subjects, and if I can take large amounts of lvl3 credits)
    -2 8pm night classes

I would be grateful if people could somehow help me decide lol
    Or if you could give me more questions to find out from the next place I'm going to.

I appreciate any comments I can get

Hi,

I was in a similar kind of position myself last year, looking for the perfect Access course. I ended up at Birkbeck and I couldn't be happier with my choice. :yep:

I studied for a Certificate of HE in Legal Methods, which was an Access course, as is Higher Education Introductory Studies. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but the latest class times are 6pm-9pm, and you can also do some 2pm-5pm and some from 10am. My classes were every Monday
    6pm-9pm and it really did not feel like it was too late. You've said it's close to travel too as well, so maybe that just make things a bit easier :yep:

I finished my course two weeks ago with an overall mark of approx. 85%, which means I made my offer and will be going to Oxford to study law in October. I also have an offer from KCL, which is my insurance choice.

In terms of Birkbeck's courses reputation, I'd say it is very very good. I know of at least 5-6 people who went on to study at Oxbridge ( subjects such as law, PPE, English Literature). Some got offers from LSE, UCL, KCL and the like. I wrote to many universities asking if they accepted my Certificate of HE and the only university that didn't was Warwick (which wasn't really one my favourites anyway). All of the others, including Durham, Manchester, UCL, KCL, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. , came back to me saying they did indeed accept Birkbeck's Access courses and would be happy to receive an application from me.

Another thing to consider is that Birkbeck is a part of University of London, which adds to its reputation. My tutors and course leader were very supportive with my Oxford application as well.

What universities are you looking to apply to, by the way? I'm guessing that, since you want to do Economics, LSE will almost certainly be on your list Keep in mind that they ask mature students to sit their Entrance exam. You can access some past papers on their website.

I have done a lot of research on applying to top universities as mature student last year, so if there's anything i can help you with, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Hi,

I was in a similar kind of position myself last year, looking for the perfect Access course. I ended up at Birkbeck and I couldn't be happier with my choice. :yep:

I studied for a Certificate of HE in Legal Methods, which was an Access course, as is Higher Education Introductory Studies. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but the latest class times are 6pm-9pm, and you can also do some 2pm-5pm and some from 10am. My classes were every Monday
    6pm-9pm and it really did not feel like it was too late. You've said it's close to travel too as well, so maybe that just make things a bit easier :yep:

I finished my course two weeks ago with an overall mark of approx. 85%, which means I made my offer and will be going to Oxford to study law in October. I also have an offer from KCL, which is my insurance choice.

In terms of Birkbeck's courses reputation, I'd say it is very very good. I know of at least 5-6 people who went on to study at Oxbridge ( subjects such as law, PPE, English Literature). Some got offers from LSE, UCL, KCL and the like. I wrote to many universities asking if they accepted my Certificate of HE and the only university that didn't was Warwick (which wasn't really one my favourites anyway). All of the others, including Durham, Manchester, UCL, KCL, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. , came back to me saying they did indeed accept Birkbeck's Access courses and would be happy to receive an application from me.

Another thing to consider is that Birkbeck is a part of University of London, which adds to its reputation. My tutors and course leader were very supportive with my Oxford application as well.

What universities are you looking to apply to, by the way? I'm guessing that, since you want to do Economics, LSE will almost certainly be on your list Keep in mind that they ask mature students to sit their Entrance exam. You can access some past papers on their website.

I have done a lot of research on applying to top universities as mature student last year, so if there's anything i can help you with, let me know.
    Hi,
    I just got into the Cert to HE at Birkbeck, but am looking at City Lit college too. As you went to Birkbeck I thought you may be able to give me some insight. I'm wanting to go to Oxbridge hopefully next year if I can get the right marks etc, but did Birkbeck help you out enough with your uni app? As the course starts at the start of October and UCAS apps are due on the 15th I'm concerned about getting a reference etc etc. How did you go with all of that? And do you feel that the study skills prepared you enough for the rigours of full time uni? I'm 26 and have been out of education for 9 years, so want to prepare myself as fully as I can!
    Thanks for any advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.