Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since training I have certainly noticed an improvement in my cardio workout when running at a steady pace for 10-20mins or even a mix of speeds with HIIT.

The problem is that in everyday life, if I got from standstill to sprint (even a short sprint) and then back to a standstill my heart races. Is this normal? I've never actually tried to continue running as that kind of defeats the object of the burst speed.

Any ideas on how this can be improved or is it, as mentioned, normal?

ReputationRep:
    I would just try the standard lying down get jump spirt 5-10m then lie down again and repeat
    should help burst speed and with time quicken the period until your heart is back at rest-rate

ReputationRep:
    It's normal.

The only 2 things that are trully affected in terms of heart rate through training, is your recoveryrat (increases) and your resting heart rate (decreases). other than that, the rise to your MHR might be a bit smoother.

Generally however when going to intense exercise your heart will shoot upwards. even if you just start a steady slow jog, it's common to see a jump from 70 BPM to 140 BPM in a space of seconds. it only really stops rising so quickly at ~150-60 dependent on age. (might be higher, been a while since i read up on this)

ReputationRep:
    My personal trainer put me on a cardio workout which on the treadmill involves pacing and running.

Twenty minutes broken up thus:

3 minutes at 6.5 kmh
    2 minutes at 13 kmh
    and repeat till twenty minutes are up.

This really gets my heart racing and well, I haven't been on it for long, but it gets me suitably exhausted, and if I didn't have a malteaser complex, I would probably see the results by now. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ixthus)
    This really gets my heart racing and well, I haven't been on it for long, but it gets me suitably exhausted, and if I didn't have a malteaser complex, I would probably see the results by now. :P
    Just had some of those myself

Burst speed is something I really want to get sorted, as a secondary goal. However, can a person be trained to run endurance races and also be optimal for burst speed?

ReputationRep:
    It's natural to get out of breath quickly when you sprint - for longer distances, it's aerobic work that you're doing so your muscles are using a sustainable amount of oxygen. When you sprint, it's anaerobic so you need to get in a load of oxygen afterwards to compensate for the deficit you created when sprinting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.