Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has Labour ruined Britain? Watch

• View Poll Results: Has Labour ruined Britain?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    To the point whereby the next government will find it extremely difficult to fix their mistakes and improve Britain?

In terms of: social/cultural factors, economics, immigration, legislation, military, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow: I don't know but I feel sorry for Gordon Brown sometimes. I actually think he IS trying, but just isn't getting very far.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by "ruined Britain"?

ReputationRep:
    Well the credit crunch was inevitable. We end up like this about every 10 years so this isn't too much of a problem. I admit it is one, but one that can be fixed. I feel Gordon is really trying and really believes he can fix things but I'm not sure whether he can.
    None of this can't be fixed, I just think that the next government most likely Conservatives will have to take each problem one at a time and fix them slowly.
    I think Gordon could do this but he's trying to fix too many at once and getting no where.

ReputationRep:
    social/cultural factors
    Mainly beyond their control - most political parties go with the flow as the Tories eventually had to do on gay rights.

economics
    Most of the mainstream political parties would have done similar to what Labour did up until the bust.

immigration
    Difficult to see what Labour could have done to stem the global movement of people. That said, they could have done much more to "manage" the issues that arose once people got here. The problem is that there are two competing pressures - employers like hard-working migrants who will work for low pay, while there are significant elements of people who do not on the grounds of competition for jobs, housing, culture etc. The Home Office's planning for the post 2004 influx was lamentable.

legislation
    Too much too poorly targetted legislation. Blair (being a former barrister/lawyer) worked on the assumption that if something bad was happening, you pulled a legislative lever to stop it happening. His style of government was ultimately destructive for the relationship between people and politicians. (A small inner cabinet, unminuted sofa briefings, contempt for Parliament, guilotining of legislation, the massive expansion of consultants in government and the politicisation of the civil service...)

ReputationRep:
    Not really, the whole political system as it stands is ruining Britain.

-The mass media have way too much influence on elections that it means winning public support is valued more than making sound decisions.
    -The FPTP system has resulted in negative politics: power bounces between Tory and Labour, who have no incentive to risk making real changes because they know they'll both have their turn in the hot seat.
    -The FPTP system doesn't allow new parties with new ideas to get much of a say. Labour and Tory are so out of touch that nothing relevant will ever get done.
    -Power is overly concentrated in Westminster and as a result, local areas don't have much of a chance to sort out the things which affect them. You can't govern Cornwall the same as you govern Newcastle, it's a whole different ballgame and local representatives need more independance.

ReputationRep:
    Democacy ruined Britain. Giving the working class yob the vote was a devastating move for this country but poor policies (eg privitaisation under Thatcher) most certainly cannot be forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, no, maybe so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJB 91)
    Democacy ruined Britain. Giving the working class yob the vote was devastating for this country.
    Not necessarily. Everybody deserves the right to vote and dictate their own future, however only on issues which directly effect them.

The problem is, people are reading ******** in The Sun and voting for Prime Ministers not for local representatives.

The system needs to be changed so that parties are only allowed to run in 1 region in the UK and nowhere else. This way, the mass media is unable to effectively dictate who to vote for, and the electorate are forced to make decisions based on local matters: the ones which effect them.

As for national policy, there really doesn't need to be much of it. Just have regional leaders meet up now and again to keep infrastructure, foreign policy and taxation all coordinated.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm fine. So Britain isn't ruined. It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    They've certainly antagonised terrorism.

In any case, I think they ruined Britain when they ratified the Lisbon treaty.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not to the point where it's unfixable. The next government wouldn't do badly to repeal most of the laws passed since 1997

ReputationRep:
    If the Tories had won in 2001 or 2005 how would things be different...?

ReputationRep:
    The Good:

Minimum wage
    Cutting Third World debt
    Civil Partnerships
    EMA

The Bad

Foundation Hospitals
    PCSOs
    ASBOs etc

The Ugly

University tuition fees
    ID cards
    Continued privatisation, e.g. in railways, NHS, post, etc
    Continued cosying up to the EU, EWTD etc.
    Terrorism act
    PFI/PPP
    War on Terror
    Academy Schools
    Blairism

I wouldn't say they've ruined the UK however, let's have some perspective. But they could have done a lot more, it's frankly been very disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The Good:

Minimum wage
    Cutting Third World debt
    Civil Partnerships
    EMA

The Bad

Foundation Hospitals
    PCSOs
    ASBOs etc

The Ugly

University tuition fees
    ID cards
    Continued privatisation, e.g. in railways, NHS, post, etc
    Continued cosying up to the EU, EWTD etc.
    Terrorism act
    PFI/PPP
    War on Terror
    Academy Schools
    Blairism

I wouldn't say they've ruined the UK however, let's have some perspective. But they could have done a lot more, it's frankly been very disappointing.

What's a foundation hospital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    What's a foundation hospital?
    Essentially lessening the regulation and government involvement in better performing hospitals. Reasons to dislike it include...

http://www.unison.org.uk/foundation/...ew.asp?did=433

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Essentially lessening the regulation and government involvement in better performing hospitals. Reasons to dislike it include...

http://www.unison.org.uk/foundation/...ew.asp?did=433

:mmm:
    Unless you think overall private healthcare isn't a bad thing. :awesome:

PFI and contracting are a joke though.

ReputationRep:
    The countries biggest single expense is social security - ie dole money, tax credits, child support etc etc. Shouldnt it be health or defence, or something more important than helping people who cant be arsed to help themselves? Yes, I know many of them need it, but its got to a level where the incentive to go out and work to better yourself has dissipated, you can get more money for doing nothing than working for minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Unless you think overall private healthcare isn't a bad thing.

PFI and contracting are a joke though.
    Well obviously

And I know, it creates a hideous hybrid of a private-public system which at the end of the day benefits no one :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously

And I know, it creates a hideous hybrid of a private-public system which at the end of the day benefits no one :sadnod:
    We all read the mishaps in Private Eye. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.