Turn on thread page Beta

Has Labour ruined Britain? watch

• View Poll Results: Has Labour ruined Britain?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    We all read the mishaps in Private Eye.
    Private Eye :coma:

:suith:

ReputationRep:
    No. We have a large amount of debt, but to say that Labour ruined Britain is very naive.

Labour has done an awful lot of great things for this country as well. A Minimum Wage, a effective system of land registration, a new Family Law Act, Civil Partnerships, an independent Bank of England, the first legal protections for privacy, the widening of access to university, expansion of apprenticeships, NHS maximum waiting times from 18months to 18weeks, ban on fur farming, refusing to license for research on the great apes and the Human Rights Act are just some of the things that come to mind.

Frankly, whatever people think of Labour, if they think Cameron would solve any of this they need to learn a bit more about politics. The man is so intellectually bankrupt its frightening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff Hunter)
    The problem is, people are reading ******** in The Sun and voting for Prime Ministers not for local representatives.
    People's voting patterns are understandable though. Britain is politically one of the most centralized countries in the world so it's understandable that people are going to vote for the person that represents that power and not going to be very enthusiastic about voting for local representatives who are perceived as having (and frankly do have) so little clout.

In my view Britain needs to be broken up with the counties and even towns being given far more autonomy and power than they have now. If Stevenage Town Council decide they want to put a tax on sales of Mars bars and Monster Munch in their town to raise money to put more police on the streets of Stevenage they should be able to do so. It's none of London's business.

Greater autonomy at regional, county, and city level is the tonic that Britain needs. However, the political class in Whitehall "who know best" will NEVER relinquish that power - too much is at stake for them.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, they haven't. The Prime Minister is just crap at PR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    To the point whereby the next government will find it extremely difficult to fix their mistakes and improve Britain?

In terms of: social/cultural factors, economics, immigration, legislation, military, and so on.
    yes, it is. for these reasons:

- Blair and now Brown never had the balls or the decency to admit they inherited a strong economy from the Conservatives. Claiming good macroeconomic management is easy when in the year you come into office, economic growth was above trend, unemployment was falling, and inflation was low. :yes:

- They tarnished the image of the UK overseas by joining Bush's war in Iraq.

- They messed up constitutional reform. We need more codification and modernisation, but they made a deal with peers to keep some of the hereditary peers, and have not brought into play a Bill of Rights and an end to parliamentary sovereignty.

- They were corrupt in office, while scolding Major's government for being corrupt.

If Labour was a student at uni, they wouldn't even come near to a 2:1.

I do believe though that a Cameron Conservative government wouldn't be much better.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, people are reading ******** in The Sun and voting for Prime Ministers not for local representatives.
    This is what I find confusing about the present system; on what grounds should we be voting on:
    a competent person
    a person who will represent the locals best
    a governing party
    a governing cabinet
    a governing PM

????

That can potentially make for a lot of trade-offs. Also, how should cabinet members be selected? Gordon was desperate for any old fodder to run departments last month, after Labour party infighting, isn't that reason enough for the Queen to have called for an early election!?

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher ruined Britain, asked what her greatest legacy was she replied "New Labour" and she meant it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    :dontknow: I don't know but I feel sorry for Gordon Brown sometimes. I actually think he IS trying, but just isn't getting very far.
    Bottler Broons biggest problem is that he is in no way a 'new broon sweeping clean' given he was Tony B Liars chancellor throughout

the open disdain the zanuliarbore government has shown for the staff in the NHS , the police force and service personnel has not helped , combined with a culture where pointless metrics which are not actually related to the quality or quantity of service provided are deemed more important than service provision and a repeated failure to tackle the inadequacy of Social care and Education - especially within the pervading culture of pointless metrics , bullying and coercion that has driven the public sector under the Great bleader and the dear bleader in the glorious reign of zanuliarbore

brown's current leadership style looks to be more in common with bob mugabe than any of the european leaders since Honecker ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limon Fanta)
    Thatcher ruined Britain, asked what her greatest legacy was she replied "New Labour" and she meant it. C*nt.
    Please calm down, Mr. I-hate-Maggy-Cliché.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    'Ruined' is too strong a word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    :dontknow: I don't know but I feel sorry for Gordon Brown sometimes. I actually think he IS trying, but just isn't getting very far.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: Mass ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    ITT: Mass ignorance.
    Then do enlighten us... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No. Although they could have done a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    There are some things that a new party can 'fix', and some that they can't.

For example, it'd be quite easy for the conservatives to stick to the pre-election campaign to scrap the ID card scheme and the national database as soon as they get into office. It would save the country billions of pounds, decrease the threat to our civil liberties, and free up resources for tackling real issues.

However, when it comes to the recession, I think that's something that will ebb and flow naturally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frenchcat53)
    Well the credit crunch was inevitable. We end up like this about every 10 years so this isn't too much of a problem. I admit it is one, but one that can be fixed. I feel Gordon is really trying and really believes he can fix things but I'm not sure whether he can.
    None of this can't be fixed, I just think that the next government most likely Conservatives will have to take each problem one at a time and fix them slowly.
    I think Gordon could do this but he's trying to fix too many at once and getting no where.
    Yeah but i dont think any previous government spent anywhere near as much money trying to get out. We're going to be in debt to this till something like 2018.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    In my view Britain needs to be broken up with the counties and even towns being given far more autonomy and power than they have now. If Stevenage Town Council decide they want to put a tax on sales of Mars bars and Monster Munch in their town to raise money to put more police on the streets of Stevenage they should be able to do so. It's none of London's business.

Greater autonomy at regional, county, and city level is the tonic that Britain needs. However, the political class in Whitehall "who know best" will NEVER relinquish that power - too much is at stake for them.
    I agree with this.

There is far too much centralised power in whitehall. It has turned the whole country into just a suburb of London. Arguably, it was Thatcher who started this all, but Blair and then Brown haven't reveresed it - but increased it.

Certainly not this political class, but perhaps a future Prime Minister could give power back to local government and create a greater sense of commuinity - like there is in most continental countries.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is it Thatcher did to local government? I understand she got rid of the GLC, but is doing that not decentralising power to the bourgh councils?

It was Labour that introduced the top down one size fits all policy iirc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.