Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys, I'm sitting here the most scared I've ever been.

I'm a guy, and the other day I noticed a small amount of blood in my semen. It wasn't a lot, and only turned it red a tiny amount, but this has never happened before. I've looked it up, and it says it could just be a one-off for someone of my age (17), but I'm afraid to masturbate now because it was the worst experience of my life when I saw it. People say one-off, others say cancer. And it's the latter that has me almost shaking with fear, I'm really worried.

I've had tingling sensations in my testicles before, but I never thought much of it as I thought it was normal because it didn't cause discomfort, just made me feel a little weird. Now this comes, and I'm properly worried. For a note, I don't have the main symptom of cancer of the testicles, a lump in one of my balls. I've checked and I don't believe I have one.

But I'm extremely worried, and I want to see a GP. The next problem comes with the fact this is a weekend, and Monday is a bank holiday. My GP will be closed, and I also don't want my parents finding out until I get a definite verdict. I go away to Egypt on Thursday, and I will get a doctor's appointment either Tuesday or Wednesday. I now have a list of questions, sorry for this lengthy post but there's a lot that is on my mind at the moment:
    Is there any way I can get checked out before then?
    If I can't remember my GP's name, can I still ask them to book me in at my GPs?
    Would I get a definite verdict on the day of the appointment?

I'm not bothered about the appointment for the moment, I'm a pretty confident guy and I'm not bothered about tests, I'm so scared I don't care what she does lol I just want a definite conclusion.

Sorry for the long post, help me guys

ReputationRep:
    You could go to a local pharmacist. He/She would tell you if you need to see a doctor. Or they may recognise it and give you something to treat it. It could be cystitis, although this happens mainly in females it can happen in males. If your pharmacist refers you to a doctor, then get an emergency appointment. This means you will get an appointment on the same day. Seeing as this doesnt happen when you urinate, i personally wouldnt be too worried. If you have any other queries feel free to contact me, as i work in a pharmacy and have done for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Monday's a bank holiday?! ****. *plans out the window*

You can just ask to see a GP if you don't remember the name. You might not get the one you usually see, depending if they're on duty that day or booked up. You might get asked "with Dr. XYZ, is that ok?", which might ring bells. Or you could just be honest and say you don't remember the name but want to see the one you saw before!

In the mean time try to do things to take your mind off of it - like packing and planning for your holiday, reading a guidebook/websites about where you're going to and what you're going to do and concentrate on being too excited about that to worry about anything else!

Thanks man, it means a lot to have some help, and a little reassurance

If I go to a pharmacist, is there any one that would be better recommended? I haven't (luckily) ever had to go to a pharmacist myself before, I don't get ill easily. Not sure what the procedure would be - would they check everything is ok or what? And are they open today and tomorrow or will I again have to wait until Tuesday?

ReputationRep:
    I would've thought the pharmacy would be shut Sunday/bank holiday. Big branches of Boots will be open but I don't know if they would have a pharmacist in on these days. My local pharmacy has the same opening hours as the GP surgery. Pharmacist would generally ask you questions and then advise about medication (though I don't imagine there's medication for this case of a one-off)/seeing a GP.

ReputationRep:
    England doesn't get a bank holiday til the end of August. Booo.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's alright then. How does anyone ever know when bank holidays are?! No one ever tells me these things and I don't have a calendar They just seem to be a massive inconvenience. (Erm, bringing it back on topic... a massive inconvenience for example for the OP not being able to see the doctor.)

(Original post by pikaboo)
    England doesn't get a bank holiday til the end of August. Booo.
    I'm in England, I thought I saw it as a bank holiday in my driving instructor's planner.... so I presumed that as correct. If that's true then hopefully I could get an appointment with my GP tomorrow or tuesday, right?

No matter whether it'll happen again or not, I want to be checked out as this is a wake up call of epic proportions for me, it's one of those things I never thought could happen to me and this scare makes me think it may well have, I need to get checked out no matter what, basically.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bank holiday in Scotland I think, or somewhere like that...and they're usually already printed in diaries. But yes, get an emergency appointment for tomorrow.

(Original post by pikaboo)
    It's a bank holiday in Scotland I think, or somewhere like that...and they're usually already printed in diaries. But yes, get an emergency appointment for tomorrow.
    Can I say it's an emergency and they'll book me in that day? Cos surely that could be abused....

Do I have to state what the problem is over the phone or not?

ReputationRep:
    You want to be seen tomorrow, so don't feel bad if it turns out not to be urgent (frankly being this worried over it warrants a quick appointment). The receptionist will probably ask you what you want to be seen for so they have some idea of how long your appointment needs to be - just be honest, they've heard it all before!

ReputationRep:
    Emergency doesn't mean you're dying, it just means you can't wait for a later appointment, which is perfectly true as you're going on holiday so it would be ages before you can be seen. And no you don't have to state the problem.

Thanks guys, you've all been so helpful

I'll try and get an appointment for tomorrow or Tuesday, and then I'll hopefully get a verdict.

I hope and pray it's a one-off, not only because of the possibility of having a real problem down there, but also the fact I could find out a couple of days before I go on holiday. If it's really serious and I have to tell my parents Wednesday night or something...I don't know how I'll cope tbh.

But yeah, thanks again guys.

ReputationRep:
    With the disclaimer that I know very little of men's health or cancer or any other problems this could signify, if the doctor does think you should be checked out for anything, I would think you'll be referred to a hospital unit and won't know anything or have any tests before your holiday, so it's best just to relax and enjoy yourself because you can't do anything sooner. Chances are (*refers back to initial disclaimer!*) the doctor will just reassure you and tell you to come back if it happens again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slender Loris)
    I would've thought the pharmacy would be shut Sunday/bank holiday. Big branches of Boots will be open but I don't know if they would have a pharmacist in on these days. My local pharmacy has the same opening hours as the GP surgery. Pharmacist would generally ask you questions and then advise about medication (though I don't imagine there's medication for this case of a one-off)/seeing a GP.
    They would have a pharmacist in. It is a legal requirement that a pharmacist has to be present during open hours in any pharmacy. If the pharmacist wasnt there then no medicines would be allowed to be dispensed as a pharmacist has to check the meds before they go out. Two pairs of eyes have to check the prescription and whether the correct medicine is being given out. First the dispenser checks it, then the pharmacist. So it would be pretty pointless opening a pharmacy with no pharmacist, as you wouldnt be able to give out any medication at all.

ReputationRep:
    I meant I didn't know if the pharmacy counter would be open.

ReputationRep:
    Hope you got an appointment alright, OP

I haven't been able to today, due to an unexpected trip out for stuff for the holiday ¬_¬

I'm feeling loads better though, especially after last night when I ahem'd again, and everything was fine... I should get an appointment just to check, but everything seems to be ok atm so I can wait until tomorrow.

Ok I went to the doctor today, and he didn't even check, simply saying this sort of thing happens as a one-off to a lot of guys, and just to come back if it happens again.

Very happy man right now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.