Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am going africa and i was wondering if i need a yellow fewer? suppose i dont take it then will i not be able to take the fight??

ReputationRep:
    Which country in Africa are you going to? Also, do you have any connecting flights?

ReputationRep:
    i am going tanzania

ReputationRep:
    http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/...-tanzania.aspx

Yes, you do need it. If you don't have your certificate of vaccination they'll refuse you entry to the country.

Just a word of warning.. make sure you get it at least 3 weeks before you go. I had mine on Wednesday 1st July and I'm still feeling the affects of it. It's a live vaccine so you can get some feverish side-affects that can last around 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    i dont have time now. i a travelling next week. would they really ask about it??

ReputationRep:
    Y'know, the NHS just publish those website for fun :yep:

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah, they would ask for it :rolleyes:. As somebody's already said, they can refuse you entry if you haven't had the necessary vaccinations. You might just have to have the injection and not feel 100% for part of your trip...though you should have thought about these things earlier really..

ReputationRep:
    "Yellow fever is spread by mosquito bites. It is a serious often fatal illness. Vaccination is recommended for those who travel into risk areas. View yellow fever risk areas. "

ReputationRep:
    Yup i went to Kenya and went to Tanzania border and we had to have it! Expensive but better being safe than sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yashradia)
    i dont have time now. i a travelling next week. would they really ask about it??

*ahem*

YOU WILL BE REFUSED ENTRY TO THE COUNTRY IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE A VALID CERTIFICATE OF YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION

For heaven's sake. How thick are you?! They're not going to ask you about it darling, they're going to demand to see documentation that you've had the vaccine.

Actually, scrap that. If you're travelling in a WEEK then you've had it. As it's a live vaccine it takes 10 days for you to become immunised so they'll refuse entry anyway if you've had the injection less than 10 days before you try to enter the country.
    Or so I was told by the nurse when I had my vaccine.

So you're buggered honey. But it's your own stupid fault for not doing the first thing anyone who is going to be travelling: go to your doctors and see what vaccines you need because, sweetheart, you need yellow fever to entry the country but you also need: diphtheria, tetanus, hepatitis A, and typhoid to stay healthy and not get any nasty tropical diseases which can be FATAL. Oh and you also need antimalarial tablets as Tanzania is also a high malaria risk zone.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Tanzania at the start of the year.

They didn't actually check our yellow fever certificates but if they decided to, they can either refuse entry to their country, or vaccinate you on the spot and charge you $50 for the benefit.

They also recommend a week for the vaccination to become effective and it is not uncommon to feel unwell for a few days after the injection.

Quite frankly, you haven't thought this through very well at all. Not only do not have time to build up immunity, but you are risking yourself to a incredibly dangerous and incurable disease.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.