Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will sixth form be different? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends.
    Last year, although I moved with a friend group, I spent alot of time alone at college. All out of choice, cos my friends turned out to be boring people who held me back anyway.

College will only be different if you make it different. It will be the same if you let it be. It's all about a choice you have to make, whether you make a bit of an effort to converse with people and join clubs (School Play is ALWAYS good) or whether you sit back and see what happened like at school...

You just have to choose...

I "ghosted" through the first few months (sept-feb ish) and was still quite quiet in the last few months of my 1st year of college and regret it - but I'm going to put a lot of effort into making sure it doesn't happen again. The only thing I'm worried about is my past reputation from last year holding me back, but I'm guessing people will just see it as "transforming over the summer" or whatever?

ReputationRep:
    I've finished sixth form this term, and found that out of the friends I started with, I am now still friends with only one of them - my other friends are either those who stayed on at the school or people who, like me, moved in from a different school and therefore had to make new friends.

I think because class sizes are generally a lot smaller and much more informal than in secondary school, it's easier to make friends in class, as long as you get involved with discussions and banter etc. I also found that going into the common room when I had free lessons and didn't know anyone else who had a free was quite daunting at first, but just having the courage to sit down with other people and start talking to them was definitely worth it - people are generally quite friendly and often just as scared of not making friends as you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i came to a new sixth form last year and i had the exact same worries. I'm sure i posted a thread very similar to this too ha. Well my advise is to not get so worried about it all and try and enjoy the experience as much as you can and really put your self out there and make an effort as it will really help you meet people.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well I finished Year 11 and I'm going to a sixth form but not my school's, it's another school's sixth form. I was really happy to get accepted there because it's really good but now I'm slightly worried.

During these 5 years in my secondary school I've had quite a few friends but none that I would really class as "close friends". They are simply "school friends" and the few that I think or thought were "close friends" usually turn out not to be. An example, and I know this will sound sad, would be that a lot of the times they don't even tell me about things that they're going to do like go out and maybe go to the cinema. We do have some fun times though but it seems like it's really rare.

However, now that I'm going to sixth form I'm happy but also really worried. I'm the sort of person that is only confident once they know people quite well - then it's really weird because I feel very confident but if I don't know the people well then I'll be really shy. I know it's easy to say just "be more confident" but it's obviously not that easy to do. I'm worried that I might never feel comfortable around the people at the sixth form and then I'll just not make any real friends.

I'm hoping this will be a change and I'll be able to make some close friends because we'd all be older and I'm hoping that will mean it'll be easier - is that true or is it only at uni that it's when you make great friends? Also, I'm worried that because it is a sixth form people will have known each other for ages and there will be like groups that will be hard to get into because they're already so established. I mean, in my school it probably took me 3 years to become quite confident as I got to know all the people in my year and then it was fine but the friendship circle I was in remained the same throughout more or less - I'm worried it'll be like that and I won't be able to fit in!
    get to know people in the subject classes you are in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    One boy who started new didn't say anything for the first year, except when we were discussing maths! It was only in U6 that he actually made some proper friends, it would have been so much easier for him if he just talked to begin with.
    that would be me in my year 12 History class; bad memories.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.