A-Level Options Watch

tomlaurenson12
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am planning to take Maths, Economics, Physics and Chemistry. I am keeping my options open as much as possible. At university, I plan to take either: Medicine, Physics (Medical Physics), Economics or Computer Science. I am willing to study extremely hard and achieve good grades. I want to be a Doctor, GP, Medical Physicist, Optometrist, Dentist, Economist or Accountant. Is that a good selection to take and can I do those degrees with these a-levels. I have heard that I should take Biology as well, as it is preferred by some universities, but not all. However I don't want to take biology, as I know if I do I will not enjoy, therefore not good grades, it and would have to replace it with a different a-level option.
u_dun_noe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you should only take subjects that you're actually going to enjoy.

But it is worth saying that taking further maths will be of great benefit to you if you study economics/physics/comp sci at university - so give that some thought.....
ronaldo91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i took maths,bio,econ,chem

had i gone back in time, i'd have taken further maths,chem,physics,econ

... such is life
tomlaurenson12
(Original post by u_dun_noe)
I think you should only take subjects that you're actually going to enjoy.

But it is worth saying that taking further maths will be of great benefit to you if you study economics/physics/comp sci at university - so give that some thought.....
Teacher doesn't think I should take it because its extremely hard!
frenchcat53
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think that's a good selection for the courses you want to take at university, but like it's already been said, make sure you enjoy them. No point doing something you hate, it makes it a lot harder
Ben77mc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tomlaurenson12)
I am planning to take Maths, Economics, Physics and Chemistry. I am keeping my options open as much as possible. At university, I plan to take either: Medicine, Physics (Medical Physics), Economics or Computer Science. I am willing to study extremely hard and achieve good grades. I want to be a Doctor, GP, Medical Physicist, Economist or Accountant. Is that a good selection to take and can I do those degrees with these a-levels. I have heard that I should take Biology as well, as it is preferred by some universities, but not all. However I don't want to take biology, as I know if I do I will not enjoy, therefore not good grades, it and would have to replace it with a different a-level option.
Umm, what's your question?
u_dun_noe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tomlaurenson12)
Teacher doesn't think I should take it because its extremely hard!
Do you think that you're capable of taking it? And do you think that you'll enjoy it?

If so, ignore the teachers!!
tomlaurenson12
(Original post by u_dun_noe)
Do you think that you're capable of taking it? And do you think that you'll enjoy it?

If so, ignore the teachers!!
Nope I don't think im capable
tomlaurenson12
(Original post by Ben77mc)
Umm, what's your question?
Are these a-levels ok, for what i want to do at uni?
JayAyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They are fine if you want to keep your options open. However, I'd suggest you make up your mind about what you want to do at uni at the end of year 12, because if you want to do economics, then further maths would benefit you significantly.
Greg.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes they're fine.
Fudge Cream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most unis require Biology at an AS Level if not given at A2!
.:excel4100%:.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel you really need to make a choice about what career path you would really enjoy in the future and go for it. At the moment you have an array of careers which all require different a-levels other than the obvious maths, unless you would like to do 5 a-levels, i could tell you what a'levels i think those courses would be suited for:
Economics: Further Maths, Maths, Economics (Physics or something like History/English)
Medicine: From what I know...Maths, Physics, Chemistry (something else maybe FM or some people have said Biology at AS may be required)
Physics: Physics, Maths, Further Maths (another relevant a'level)
Computer Science: Maths, Further Maths, Physics (another relevant a'level)

You can notice that in almost all of those courses, I feel Further Maths is suited better to prepare for the courses in university but if you don't like maths that much it would be harder to choose FM and succeed at it! However you still make a definite choice or narrow down your choices to help in deciding better suited a'levels for your course
Hibz123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some universities do require Biology to do Medicine though. Nevertheless your options seem fine
tomlaurenson12
Thanks for the advice people, I feel I cannot simply do further maths, it is only offered to those who are extremely clever at maths, and I would have to study it in my spare time!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?