Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m considering of applying for BDS as a mature student. However what course’s would increase my change’s of getting on to a dentistry course as a mature student.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Do you already have a degree or are you planning on doing a degree to apply as a graduate? Any biomedical related degree is acceptable.

This is taken from the UCLan website:

A list of commonly accepted degrees is given below but it is not meant to be exhaustive. It is helpful if you make the biological components of your degree clear on the UCAS form.

* Anatomy
    * Biochemistry
    * Biomedical Sciences
    * Biomedical Engineering
    * Diagnostic Radiography
    * Genetics
    * Health Sciences
    * Human Biology
    * Life Sciences
    * Medicine and Surgery
    * Medicinal Chemistry
    * Microbiology
    * Molecular Biology
    * Nursing
    * Occupational Therapy
    * Orthoptics
    * Pharmacology
    * Pharmacy
    * Physiology
    * Physiotherapy
    * Psychology (BSc)
    * Radiotherapy
    * Veterinary Science
    If I studied for dental hygienist would it increase my ability to get on to the dentistry course rather than doing Biomedical Sciences etc ?? Thnx for the help

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Not necessarily. For example at Peninsula, if you applied with a Biomedical Science degree you would NOT have to take the GAMSAT. Whereas if you applied with a Dental Hygienist qualification, you WOULD have to take it, as there wouldn't be sufficient biological/sciency components in the qualification. Obviously you'd still be considered though with a Dential Hygienist qualification, which is what counts at the end of the day.
    thnx for the help

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Similar sort of question for you but opinion wanted too. I'm interested in becoming a dentist and was wondering if I could avoid the pre-dental year? I'd also like to know whether in anyone's opinion whether it's a sound move?

I graduated in 92 with a degree in Chem Eng (Two one Hons). I read one year Biology at Uni before this. I have Chem, Phys, Bio A-levels. Here's the bit for soliciting opinion. I am a long haul airline pilot for a very large London based carrier and formerly RAF officer and pilot. I am 39. Would it be crazy to make a career change now? What's the shortest and most direct route? Will I ever recover an average salary of around 85-90k bearing in mind I'll earn nothing for 5-6 years?

A lot there I know but I feel like if I don't do it now I never will. My life has taken a turn after divorce although free with no kids.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mate, I'm making the move at 31, currently packing the house to move to glasgow. Sure you can do it, I was by no means the oldest person at the Aberdeen PG interviews. I think its the loss of earnings and change in life that is the biggest thing, I would look to a 4 year course, for me I took the 5 as I am relying on my wifes family's help during the course in Glasgow.

With regards to income, yes you can make mor e then that I have a freind who's brother earns far more then your currently salary. I think you'd have to be smart in choosing the direction after graduation and I think PG dental course could become a further reality. Who can really say its the wrong or right move? All I know is if I didn't do it i'd spend the rest of my life questioning 'what if?'.

regards

rich

ReputationRep:
    Hi !

Are you studying at Glasgow dental school ?
    I also applyied as mature student at the age 30; I had the interview, waiting for answer.

Could you give me your impression ?

Thanks a lot,

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hello Emma, yes I am here in sunny Glasgow. Personally I think its great, maybe the building doesnt look the best but the teaching is very good and very well organised. Myself like the other 14 PG's and matures settle into the new role ok, get used to walking and spend little money but its ok. The pace of the course is far greater than my UG or MSc but its no big deal I just get on with it, its absolutely flown by, 5 weeks to easter then exams then the long BDS1 summer holiday that you dont get in the other years - which is good as I will work to buid up some savings in that time.

cheers

Rich

ReputationRep:
    Hello Rich,

Thank you for your reply !
    How many 'mature students' are there at Glasgow Dental School ?
    Do you find easily a non-expensive flat ?
    Do you think 'mature students' are effectively chosen ? How many people come from other countries in Europe ?
    Does summer holdays last 2 months ?

Cheers,

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

I am also a PG and applied to Glasgow and had my interview last year, hopefully we will here soon!

Cheers,

Leigh

ReputationRep:
    Hi in our year BDS1 its about 11 PG's/MS , chap from Poland, mainly scottish, we have students from Malaysia, Iraq, UAE.

BDS1 summer is 3.5 months, after that the clinical years dictate a 4 week summer hol. I live with my wife and were very luck in a our flat situation. The mature students are def effectilvely chosen I'd say, but as a PG etc you are making the choice from a far more informed perspective on live as a whole as I'm sure you'll agree.

ReputationRep:
    Just for the record what do you guys mean by 'mature'?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptKernow)
    Just for the record what do you guys mean by 'mature'?!
    21 or over when applying is considered mature

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.