Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

going to uni, and worried about my parents Watch

ReputationRep:
    edit: nvm

ReputationRep:
    Ask 'em to move to Warwick with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    so i was considering posting this as anon, but i decided against it seeing as it's nothing im ashamed off anyways.

i'm going to uni this fall, university of warwick, and basically i'm worried about how sad my parents will be with me gone. i really don't want to come off as arrogant or anything, but i'm close to my parents, and i have a fair idea of how much they love me. they've also done so much for me - sacrificed a lot of stuff and brought me up as best as anyone could. and now it just feels like it's unfair for me to just leave them and go off to uni on a different continent.

it's also partly this place (tanzania) - it's like, I know it might be presumptious of me to think like this, but I dont know what they'll do once i'm gone! i suppose that is a pretty arrogant thing to say isn't it, but I really don't want them to be sad all the time. i'm also not planning on coming back after uni, and they dont have the savings to just pack up and move to, say, canada or the UK, where they have more family/friends to keep them company and generally live a better life.

I think i sort of just spewed my thoughts all over, hope it makes sense to anyone reading. basically i'm just worried about my parents being sad and lonely once I go to uni, and it just keeps bugging me
    I would buy an international calling card or get skype so you can make regular calls home to them.

ReputationRep:
    Flip it the other way around, would you "survive" without them? You'd be lonley, that's a given. But you are able to keep yourself occupied, and your world wouldn't come to a standstill until you got to see them again Right?

ReputationRep:
    to be fair you have to fly the nest sometime, i know it be a big step to take, but your get there and forgot

sure once you have your degree, your see that it was worth it

if your family at home have a computer get skype, on both yours and there's, make sure they have a webcam and you, free internet calling

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any brothers or sisters?

ReputationRep:
    I think they will be fine. Somehow I think they have always thought of this day and have been waiting 18 years for this day to come. Most of uor parents although hate the day that their children leave they also will enjoy being alone again and being able to do what they want rather than be parents 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    My parents at uni with me? hell no :p:
    but, i wouldnt mind them moving to the UK (they lived there for 20-30 years anyway). with what money though?
    Heh, was the response I was waiting for. :P
    I think deep down you know it'll be a real life changer for you but you gotta go for it, just enjoy the time with your family now until you go uni and you can stay in touch through phone, email, maybe set up web cam chats if that'll help and then there's always visiting them in the holidays when you can afford to. I'm sure they'll understand, after all, they'll want what's best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents seem like heroes, make sure they repay thier faith in you on this island and hopefully you can get a good job and be able to pay for them to visit you in the future. I think it's best to talk to your parents about how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to this. Maybe the distance isn't as much as an issue for me but it is not like I will be able to get home to see them regularly. My Mum was sad enough when my brother left, bursting into tears all over the place for weeks - and he was only going an hour away.

She keeps on saying how she won't be able to cope when I leave, and she smiles and acts like she is joking but I know that she really means it. I have a really great, affectionate relationship with my parents, and I know how much I am going to miss them but at least I will have the distraction of uni and new people and new things - all they will see is that I am not at home anymore.

I'm trying to come to terms with the idea that my Mum is probably going to be relatively depressed for a while when I leave, but I'm sure my Dad will be able to keep her together. I'm just going to make an effort to call home regularly, which is something my brother didn't do as much when he left and it did upset my Mum, even if she could understand why he didn't.

I guess it is just important to keep in mind that as sad as parents may be about their children growing up and moving away, they'd probably feel far worse if they knew that their children wouldn't enjoy the new experiences and opportunities offered to them because they were worried about how upset their parents are

ReputationRep:
    You're right, but I'm going off to uni, with a new life and lots of new friends all ahead of me. It's more like the opposite for them :s.
    Hehe no I meant If they were going to uni and you were left at home; if you were in their shoes. You'd be ok You're an autonomous human being, you could keep yourself happy with other things

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.