Turn on thread page Beta

A Level combinations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to chose my A levels for next year and have many different ideas floating through my head, but im not sure if the are good combinations. For example, I know i want to do music, but what would it go with? I fancy business studies and perhaps englsih (although i hear its very hard!!) can any one help me by giving me ideas??!!

ReputationRep:
    When I chose my A Level(now upper sixth) I had no idea what I wanted to do. I just chose the subjects I enjoyed at the time. I chose, Computer Science, English Lit and Lang, History and Business Studies. Obviously A Levels are harder than for example GSCEs(particularly A2) but IMO it just depends on what you feel you wanna do and keep an open mind perhaps you wanna do beyond that. For your choices, English-is hard but with hard work it won't be as much. Likewise Business Studies is quite easy AS but I find it a bit harder A2. I can't really judge Music though but some of my mates do it(well Music Tech) and it seems like a doss really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXmoiXx)
    I am trying to chose my A levels for next year and have many different ideas floating through my head, but im not sure if the are good combinations. For example, I know i want to do music, but what would it go with? I fancy business studies and perhaps englsih (although i hear its very hard!!) can any one help me by giving me ideas??!!
    Any idea what subject you'd pursue at university? Music based? Presuming you'd want to go of course...

Try and pick subjects that compliment music, if that's the route you’d want to go down. Admittedly though, music is somewhat out on a limb when it comes to associative subjects… Physics perhaps?

If you've got no idea, pick what you enjoy - perhaps a broad subject base would be advisable.

ReputationRep:
    thnx! thts sum good advice lol

ReputationRep:
    thnx again! i do intend 2 go to university - and it'l probably be music based as that is where my heart lies! as for sciences - don't even go there, they r bad enough at GCSE!!! but i will try to keep an open mind

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies perhaps? It seems associative in a round about way.

It isn't a respected A-Level in all quarters though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXmoiXx)
    Music, English always go well together...Maths A-level would be nice if u wanna apply to oxbridge !

ReputationRep:
    There are two students in my school applying for music at uni - they both went down very different routes when choosing A-levels. One chose the sciences and maths whilst the other chose english, french and maths. Both of their applications are equally strong because pretty much any subject is compatible with music. Just choose ones which you will enjoy and maybe think about choosing subjects which will give your choices breadth

(Original post by SOAD)
    Music Tech) and it seems like a doss really.
    Music tech is much more a doss than ordinary music.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    music and maths are a classic combination...very common at university level. But if you don't have the natural aptitude/liking for maths then it's probably not worth pursuing.

Pick subjects you enjoy and think beyond the usual suspects when looking into university courses (music and linguistics?, music and history? etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    They like a modern language with music i think

Dont do maths unless you are committed to it - loads of people in my class dropped it cos they thought it would be easier than it was - but if you like it then it is easy cos youll enjoy practising and getting better...P.S No-body in my class who got a B or lower passed maths - just a word of warning

History and Music would also be a nice combination me'thinks

ReputationRep:
    French, German, History, Art, Drama, Philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    A Science, History, French and Music is a nice combo

ReputationRep:
    wow! i didn't expect so many replies!! Thnx to all of you, many of you seem to say maths - but i will tell you now, there is NO WAY i am taking it!! but its a good idea anyway. Histpry sounds good and i thought of it my self but am not taking it for GCSE...is that a problem......? anyway you may intrested to kno i got an A in my music MOCK!!! (had to get it in!! sorry!!)

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.