Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a bad idea to go from dark blonde to dark brown hair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As my title says really.

I had platinum blonde hair, which got dyed to a dark blonde (its not very nice).
    I want brown hair but i dont want light brown, I know the colour that I want, and its a rich dark brown.

Im just wondering, is this a big no? Because some people will have seen me with blonde hair and then all of a sudden I will be dark brown, is it bad to jump between such different colours?

My appointment is in for tomorrow. x

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's a bad jump, it might surprise some people, but unless you get it dyed pink or something, I can't see any reason it should be bad xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geordiebabehh)
    As my title says really.

I had platinum blonde hair, which got dyed to a dark blonde (its not very nice).
    I want brown hair but i dont want light brown, I know the colour that I want, and its a rich dark brown.

Im just wondering, is this a big no? Because some people will have seen me with blonde hair and then all of a sudden I will be dark brown, is it bad to jump between such different colours?

My appointment is in for tomorrow. x
    I think as long as you keep some warm tones in it, it will look good :thumbsup: Keep the richness and the darkness, but by going for a shade with some warmth you will avoid making your skin look too fair.

I think it will make your blue eyes stand out But do as you are doing, and have a hairdresser to it, DIY can lead to disaster :p:

ReputationRep:
    keep some warm tones in it and dont go too dark if your skin tone is very light

ReputationRep:
    the only problem i may see, is if you decide to go back to your natural hair colour... because when you put a dye on blonde hair, it can sometimes mean that you will never be the same hair colour that you naturally are. As long as you're fine with that maybe happening, I don't see a problem

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm dark brown hair is gorgeous and much less damaging for your hair than blonde is, I'm sure everyone will love your new look

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same dilemma. Post some pics if you get it done.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure it will look great, i have naturally darkish blonde hair and i dyed mine dark brown for a few months and i liked a change. people get used to it after a day

you've dyed your hair before so you can always change it again if you dont like its its not like you're dyeing it for the very first time.

ReputationRep:
    do it!
    i did and it was the best decision i ever made. its been 2 years since i dyed it brown and burnettes definately have more fun!

its a big change but you might aswell give it a try
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea OP. I went from light blonde to dark brown and it looks alright, a lot darker than I asked for though so make sure the hairdresser knows what you want!
    I think whether or not it suits you depends more on the shade of the colour, and making sure if suits your skintone, rather than how big of a difference it is to what you have now.
    I saw go for it! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My friend had platinum blonde hair for years, then a couple of weeks ago, went dark brown/almost black. Everyone was completely shocked, but we're used to it now, it really suits her. She's one of these lucky people who suits anything :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Give it a go! I loved having dark hair. Just be aware that depending on how dark you go, you might need to wear basic makeup (concealer, mascara) if you don't already, since it can be quite a harsh colour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.