Turn on thread page Beta

Pushed into going on holiday with family and sister's boyfriend, help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Me and my boyfriend have been kinda pushed into going on holiday with my parents, my sister and her loutish, horrible loud boyfriend. My dad really wanted me to go and I kept saying I wasn't really bothered and I didn't want to go with my sister and her boyfriend because I wouldn't feel comfortable. Basically I don't really know my sister's boyfriend but what I do know he's loud and rude he's 27 and has been with my sister and has gotten her pregnant within a few weeks, she's only 17.

All they both do at home is scream and shout and talk loudly and I never get any sleep all holiday my parents and him will be getting drunk and then because the caravan we will be going to only has two bedrooms I can probably predict that me and my boyfriend will be on the sofas due to the pecking order where we won't get to sleep until early hours and be woken up early morning and get no sleep (I don't drink due to medication and I need sleep as tablets make me sleepy). I really can't be doing with getting 3 hours of sleep a night and feeling completely uncomfortable but I feel like I have no choice now I always feel they push me into it because I'm quiet, if I pull out now they will be mad because I haven't paid the money but will still demand it, I really didn't want to go anyway

*sigh* I don't want to go, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Open your mind, give this guy a chance and try to rebuild some bridges with your sister.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go, just tell them straight that you can't and don't want to. But maybe it is a good chance to really meet your sister's boyfriend and get to know him...and hey, you could always give them a taste of their own medicine if are made to feel uncomfortable out there, or don't get any sleep.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a caravan holiday I'm sure you can get out of it.

You need to tell your parents straight though, and not hint. Parents don't get hints, they get what they want, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds awful. Just don't go.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell your parents you don't want to go! Say you want some independence or to try going away yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Go on holiday or a long weekend with your boyfriend instead. Say you want some alone time with him or something, they should understand

ReputationRep:
    Just don't go, it doesn't sound like there is enough space and holidays tend to push people to breaking point with people they like let alone those they don't. However I would advise you to try and be courteous at home as if they're having a baby then he is probably sticking around for a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewrong_girl)
    Just don't go, it doesn't sound like there is enough space and holidays tend to push people to breaking point with people they like let alone those they don't. However I would advise you to try and be courteous at home as if they're having a baby then he is probably sticking around for a little bit.
    Yeah, I agree and they're probably having a pretty hard time of it - it sounds as though this boyfriend coming on the holiday might be trying to integrate him as part of the family, and if that's what they all want you spitting fireballs at him won't help anyone - so try to be nice about not going (but still direct): "I'm not coming, but you guys go and have fun, it'll be too cramped and stressful with all of us..." etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice everyone.

He has integrated himself into the family pretty quickly I'd say, he slobs about the house and uses my mum as a taxi and is always staying over as well as always being sat downstairs with them and going out to the pub with my parents.

I have tried to be friendly towards him despite preconceptions I had about him, i.e. planning to have a baby with my sister after three weeks because he thought she was 'fit', basically forced my sister to make ME and my boyfriend walk about 2 miles to the shop for him to get him booze once, always smoking around my pregnant sister, is always drunk too. I am really shy and I have tried to make awkward conversation with him and even say hello on numerous occassions but he just stared at the TV or stared blankly at me :s

Last night they kept me up arguing until about 3am and woke me up again at about 8 or something , I have a medical examination in a few days and I need the sleep or I'll be worse grrr! I can't be bothered with this!

I told my mum and she told her to be quiet because it's bothering ME even though it wakes my mum up too, because she knew my sister would have a go at me and not my mum because my mum wants an easy life so basically I got insulted earlier just for asking for a bit of consideration!

Might just give them the money and not go! I'll go crazy if I do go.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to force yourself, show that you really mean that don't like this situation, showing a bit of aggression is in my opinion actually good as it shows you mean business and your not going to shy out. Tell your mum straight or make some kind of ultimatum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    I think you need to force yourself, show that you really mean that don't like this situation, showing a bit of aggression is in my opinion actually good as it shows you mean business and your not going to shy out. Tell your mum straight or make some kind of ultimatum.
    I've showed annoyance but that hasn't done any good obviously . I'm going to my boyfriend's house for a few days where it will hopefully be quiet for a few days, yay! I'm going to say to my mum that I don't want to go on holiday because of my sister and that I'm fed up of her (my mum) not sorting out my sister's inconsiderate behaviour and instead trying to be her best mate and treating her as the favourite daughter as usual. If she doesn't listen, I'll just go into my uni flat and ignore them, they annoy me so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waffles)
    I've showed annoyance but that hasn't done any good obviously . I'm going to my boyfriend's house for a few days where it will hopefully be quiet for a few days, yay! I'm going to say to my mum that I don't want to go on holiday because of my sister and that I'm fed up of her (my mum) not sorting out my sister's inconsiderate behaviour and instead trying to be her best mate and treating her as the favourite daughter as usual. If she doesn't listen, I'll just go into my uni flat and ignore them, they annoy me so much.
    Thats what I'm talking about girl, ultimatum

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.