Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely convinced this shouldn't be in health, but there you go...
    Ive just been diagnosed with glandular fever - quite a bad case, i just came out of hospital yesterday. Im supposed to be starting uni in september, but i've been told that recovery will be something like 6-8 weeks and then i may not feel completely better for months, won't be able to exert myself or drink etc. Im usually a very out going person, i love going out and having fun and generally wearing myself out (which probably was a bad idea in hindsight!), so im wondering if it would be worth my taking a gap year instead? i really want to get everythign i can out of uni, and i cant see that happening if i feel so i'll for the first like 6 months. has anybody got any experience of this or have any advice? i know its a couple of months off but anything would be appreciated! thank you

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been officially diagnosed with glandular fever, however last summer I became ill with a virus type illness. When I got back to college I found out glandular fever had been going around so there is a possibility it was that. I've felt terrible all year and am only just starting to get back to normal to be honest (I took the last term off college) so if you want to get the most out of it I'd take a gap year

ReputationRep:
    I started university with glandular fever, so basically had it from September to December.

All I'm going to say is that all you can do is keep perservering, and that you shouldn't take a gap year because of it IMO. I still managed to exert myself and drink (albeit you really shouldn't :blush: ), despite the fact I felt more lethargic than normal and was getting sick much faster than my friends. I'm not sure if there are varying degrees of it, but if it was something like mine, you should be able to survive. But after you've been to all the clubs, had your drunken times and met some friends who'll understand, just don't go out that often and rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LdnShmoo)
    Not entirely convinced this shouldn't be in health, but there you go...
    Ive just been diagnosed with glandular fever - quite a bad case, i just came out of hospital yesterday. Im supposed to be starting uni in september, but i've been told that recovery will be something like 6-8 weeks and then i may not feel completely better for months, won't be able to exert myself or drink etc. Im usually a very out going person, i love going out and having fun and generally wearing myself out (which probably was a bad idea in hindsight!), so im wondering if it would be worth my taking a gap year instead? i really want to get everythign i can out of uni, and i cant see that happening if i feel so i'll for the first like 6 months. has anybody got any experience of this or have any advice? i know its a couple of months off but anything would be appreciated! thank you
    I'd go with the gap year. Email your University and ask if they'd be willing to let you defer. Naturally they'd prefer you coming next year rather than going this year and running into trouble.
    I have heard the experiences of lots of people who had this or something similar, and if you don't allow your body to fully recover then it can drag out for years and give you serious hell.
    Going to Uni will be straining on your body. You might not consciously realise it but major life change plus new demands and so on can take it out of you.

Its up to you obviously, but you might regret it if you found that the condition lingered and affected your ability to achieve your full potential at Uni.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Seriously, I'd defer. Feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys i'll probably wait and see how i'm feeling by the end of august but i reckon a gap year looks imminent

ReputationRep:
    Do what's right for you. If it means that much then I think you should take a gap year. Talk to your parents about it, see what they think.

ReputationRep:
    I had a gap year partly because of Glandular Fever, i was diagnosed in May 2008 and it took 8 months to recover. I found that you just have to 'give in' and rest. The more you try and get on with life the longer it takes to recover. I feel so much better now and ready for uni in september

Hope you get well soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.