ReputationRep:
    Now, we all know some topics are just a tad embarrassing to discuss with everyone knowing who you are. Hence the useful option of posting anonymously in the H&R forum. But is there really any need for every person creating a topic to post "anon or delete plz"?

Do the mods really have that bad a reputation of unveiling who's posting under anon? I didn't actually think they did it a lot...

ReputationRep:
    I think it is just used as a get out clause for a 'just in case' situation.

ReputationRep:
    Siigh I was hoping for anon fail.

No, but I guess people just want privacy on the internet, it's understandable as they get advice either way.

ReputationRep:
    like adream failed in the sex post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    Do the mods really have that bad a reputation of unveiling who's posting under anon? I didn't actually think they did it a lot...
    They used to do it. H&R policy has changed to always delete now, but a lot of people don't seem to have realized.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the ADREAM sex post was hilarious! Maybe we can post about this on every thread just to make people aware lol!

ReputationRep:
    I think this has been addressed before in about, it stems from the days when mods frequently de-anonned anonymous posts in H+R and from what I've read in other threads this very rarely happens any more, if it even happens at all. I'm guessing the posters just feel more reassured by posting anon or delete plz in case a post is de-anonned or the poster forgets to use the anon function.

ReputationRep:
    I got warned for this thread? That's just beyond the ******* joke.

moderators will never really de-anon a thread. when people start misuisng it the threads tend to get deleted anyway. there migth be the odd case that someone is actually geuinely needing to use the anonymous posting but on the whole its just used so people aren't embaressed about what they are posting. the moderators are able to see who the anon posters are so can usually determine whether or not its needed. but as a member of the mod team I wouldnt de-anon

and @ Dinendal... doesn't look as if you've been warned. and here isn't the place to discuss it... if you want to dispute it head over to AAM and you'll be able to deal with it there.

ReputationRep:
    They used to in the olden days apparantly and when people see others writing that they follow suit :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I personally think warnings should be doled out to those who start a thread "Anon or delete" on the grounds of sheer idiocy. The policy is pretty clear on use (and abuse) of the anon function. If people haven't cottoned on by now that anonymous users don't get de-anoned anymore, they're clearly imbeciles. :p:

Seriously though, it's really irritating that people are incapable of reading the forum guidance. I mean, this "anon or delete" garbage it's almost a viral meme, or as standard as writing "Dear Sir/Madam" at the start of a letter. Hell, if MS hadn't done away with it in Office 2007, I'd like to think that clippit would have been on hand to assist:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

It's quite true I think that people are putting down "anon or delete" now as they see it as typical forum etiquette. Whether that etiquette is nonsensical or outdated is obviously up for discussion. Personally? The reasons why de-anoning is not really done are, I believe, legal. You have to be completely and utterly sure, and even then, you're simply going to remove or lock the thread aren't you? I seem to remember something in that direction. I'm guessing as a result it fell into disuse and the message survived as mere convention.

Perhaps it's about time to have the members made explicitly aware that they will not be de-anoned, but instead, as is almost always done anyway, warnings and removals will be the result of abuse of the facility. In time the convention will subsequently die out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.