Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the aftermath of the Second World War we saw a different type of "storm cloud" spread over Europe. Only, when previously this analogy was applied to the impending threat of large-scale military combat, now it can be applied to degenerate architecture.

In other words, a series of intolerable eyesores; staining the skyline and encouraging the legitimacy of Bolshevist communes. Our future king has expressed discontent at the subversion of British architectural prowess, and I'm inclined to agree. Furthermore, in several cases, many are also hotbeds for criminal activity, drugs sales, and unhygienic conditions. Indeed, I'm sure those living in tower blocks wouldn't feel like they'd lost anything by moving into a small bungalow, or terraced house.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    They take up a lot less space.

ReputationRep:
    oh I don't know.

Some have a certain sort of charm. And concrete in itslf isn't inherently evil.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how they're perceived. In some parts of the world, living in flats [or 'apartments'] is pretty normal, whereas here it's become associated with poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Commieblocks:laugh:

they're pretty ugly, but people still live in them:hmmm: so it will have to wait

ReputationRep:
    Demolishing could take up to ten years, if not more. A lot of paper work needs to be done and in some places it's not possible as they stand too close to other buildings.

A lot of them could to with interior and exterior transformations though, to make them match a city's landscape or colour scheme.

They don't always look bad, and their greyness can blend in neatly. There are hundreds of them in places like London and Birmingham so the cities would look a bit flat if they weren't there.

And this is always possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEraLnJgUE

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, self-parody or what. I mean seriously, that whole using-the-word-Bolshevist thing is just old now.

Traditional two-up-two-down terraces are pathetically small. I'm living in one right now. You do not want more of these things. Interesting though, as the kind of thing you're suggesting is of the exact same notional character as the one you'd project onto the people who built the tower blocks in the first place. You don't like something in particular because you don't like the social effects you think it has (as well as its ideological implications), so you're going to decide for everyone else what would be the best way for them to live and then put that in place to encourage conformity to your particular social standard.

You guys really are all the same. You're "sure" the people who live there wouldn't mind, but have you asked? It doesn't sound like it. After all, tiny bungalows or discrete little family houses are hardly the best way of encouraging community spirit, are they? Maybe some people like sharing balconies. Maybe they don't. (Criminal activity, drug abuse and unhygienic conditions tend to happen wherever there are a lot of poor people. Perhaps look into the "lots of poor people" part rather than the "living in concrete blocks" part.)

ReputationRep:
    There is always a need for dirt cheap housing. But, need it be so ugly?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Jeez, self-parody or what. I mean seriously, that whole using-the-word-Bolshevist thing is just old now.

Traditional two-up-two-down terraces are pathetically small. I'm living in one right now. You do not want more of these things. Interesting though, as the kind of thing you're suggesting is of the exact same notional character as the one you'd project onto the people who built the tower blocks in the first place. You don't like something in particular because you don't like the social effects you think it has (as well as its ideological implications), so you're going to decide for everyone else what would be the best way for them to live and then put that in place to encourage conformity to your particular social standard.

You guys really are all the same. You're "sure" the people who live there wouldn't mind, but have you asked? It doesn't sound like it. After all, tiny bungalows or discrete little family houses are hardly the best way of encouraging community spirit, are they? Maybe some people like sharing balconies. Maybe they don't. (Criminal activity, drug abuse and unhygienic conditions tend to happen wherever there are a lot of poor people. Perhaps look into the "lots of poor people" part rather than the "living in concrete blocks" part.)
    I enjoyed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)

This strikes me as an intelligent answer.

ReputationRep:
    They could atleast put climbing holds up the side of them and let people get some fun off it! What with the obesity problem and all...

ReputationRep:
    My legs would turn to jelly if I lived right at the top.

I'm surprised most of them haven't been turned into private apartments or offices yet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.