Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep this anon, as I have friends who use this site and I am aware this the following is placed in a wrong forum, I apologise.

I have taken the theory test, three times already, twice last year, once this year, and I keep on failing. I keep on failing on the multiple choice questions. The hazard Perception, I keep on getting 75, which is a pass. The multiple choice questions is letting me down, first time I got 30, second time 32, third time 35. I got the theory test this Wednesday, I am worried that I am gonna fail again. I don't want to. I have the book and the cd, but I keep on failing. Any tips so I pass this time please?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Revise for it? A friend of mine treated it like an exam and got full marks.

(Original post by Rape Me)
    Revise for it? A friend of mine treated it like an exam and got full marks.
    I must be doing something wrong, how do I revise? There is over a thousand questions.

ReputationRep:
    Have you gone through the entire book? I think a lot of it is common sense to be honest....how much time do you normally have left over once youre finished? Maybe slow down a little if you have time to and think through the answers carefully. Just go through the book, its exactly the same questions that will come up, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Why anonymous for this?

Just go through The Highway Code book which is revised every now and then. Learn it cover to cover, make yourself some flash cards and do lots of practice questions (Google and software).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I must be doing something wrong, how do I revise? There is over a thousand questions.
    Well most of it is just common sense. I managed to pass and only skimmed through the book once but I was pretty lucky to pass so it will probably require a little more effort.

Just keep doing the mock tests and look over the book a few times and pick out the stuff you have to know, opposed to the stuff that common sense dictates.

ReputationRep:
    I used the CD and did every god damn question on it Didn't take me long.

It's pretty much just common sense really, with some added knowledge which you can learn from the highway code.

Go revise!

ReputationRep:
    It's almost all common sense. You really shouldn't have to revise at all if you have had any lessons on the road (so that you are familiar with lane discipline, signs etc etc).
    The only things you really need to learn are things like stopping distances, but it's usually fairly obvious from the question (and times you should know anyway), but there won't be more than a few questions like this.

thanks everyone. There are over a thousand questions...yes the ones I am getting right are educated guesses, i am gonna have to try harder to revise. I have not had any lessons yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    It's almost all common sense. You really shouldn't have to revise at all if you have had any lessons on the road (so that you are familiar with lane discipline, signs etc etc).
    The only things you really need to learn are things like stopping distances, but it's usually fairly obvious from the question (and times you should know anyway), but there won't be more than a few questions like this.
    your sig makes me feel all warm and happy inside :cute:

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone. There are over a thousand questions...yes the ones I am getting right are educated guesses, i am gonna have to try harder to revise. I have not had any lessons yet.
    You'll do better in your theory having had some driving lessons, I would say. You end up with practical experience of the questions that you're asked in the test, and your hazard perception will increase due to passive experience also

(Original post by FluffyLion)
    You'll do better in your theory having had some driving lessons, I would say. You end up with practical experience of the questions that you're asked in the test, and your hazard perception will increase due to passive experience also
    I am alright on hazard, not worried about that, it is the questions.

ReputationRep:
    you keep getting 75 on hazard perception? Isn't that full marks?! :eek:
    I got 46 or something xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    your sig makes me feel all warm and happy inside :cute:
    Why thank you :cool:

Check: http://cartoongirl7.deviantart.com
    Amazing artist.

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling to just memorise multiple choice questions - and let's face it, over 1000 is one hell of a task - you need a different approach. Learning to drive isn't all about memorising answers to set questions, it's about learning the background information about driving, the rules of the road and various techniques. In theory, once you know your subject, you can answer ANY question thrown at you; not just the ones set for the test.

To help you get your head around the subjects in the theory test, look at this book: http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.a...7772&DI=603453

Everything is in a narrative format, giving you background information so you can digest the info one chapter at a time, then (and only then) try tackling the multiple choice questions based on that chapter.

ReputationRep:
    I used the computer practice test DVD I bought and found it really useful. When I first started I never passed the multiple choice but always the hazard perception. I found the more I drove, the more I learned the multiple choice without having to actually learn anything.

The DVD also has the advantage of knowing your weak areas and then you can practice those the most. If you get a question wrong, go back and re-do it. Do about 5 or 6 practice tests, including tests based on the questions you do wrong... and you should be fine.

I passed my theory first time with that.

ReputationRep:
    theres not really. its laways the same few that come up. get a book and in the back will have all the questions and jsut learn the answers to them. it gets so repetitive and boring but you do remember it! good luck

ReputationRep:
    what you should do is buy the cd. take the tests and on the sections you get wrong then revise the whole section in the 1000 word question section. keep repeating this process.

ReputationRep:
    you need to revise over and over again, take repeated practise tests on cd-rom, so much that you have practised every possible question that comes up and so nothing new takes you by surprise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.