Turn on thread page Beta

Is this undoubtedly the most 'exciting' time to be living? watch

ReputationRep:
    Has there ever been a century like the 20th century in all human history? In fact, in the history of all life on Earth?

We've seen the clash of two different economic/social ideologies, communism and free market/democracy,

We've seen more people killed than ever before in warfare which took place throughout the whole world,

We've seen momentous technological and economic development. Compare the start of the century and the end; they're almost completely different,

We've seen huge advances in political rights and freedoms (although it looks like the future will almost certainly entail a step backwards),

We have for the first time explored space, visited the moon, mapped the human genome, widespread literacy and common education,

And plenty more,

All within the past 100 years which, in the span of humanity is a shockingly small period of time, and in the history of life on Earth is barely any length of time at all.

We are truly lucky to be alive at this point in time. There is so much change, progress, opportunity, development. Everything seems to be happening now. You may have spoken to people in your lifetime that were born before it all happened.

As for the future, I can foresee huge developments yet still, but will the rate of change ever be as great? I can't imagine any bigger change. It is as if going digital was the 'giant leap' that opened the world to a whole new different age/era.

Circumstances of time aside, you are also lucky enough to be able to have internet access, literacy, freedom, education and a developed lifestyle to appreciate it all. Not even everyone alive now is as privileged. Which makes us even more special.

It's a great time to be alive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feral Beast)

As for the future, I can foresee huge developments yet still, but will the rate of change ever be as great? I can't imagine any bigger change. It is as if going digital was the 'giant leap' that opened the world to a whole new different age/era.

The biggest change there will ever be is the colonisation of other worlds/ the building of gigantic ships which will function as moving worlds.

Fast interplanetary movement let alone intergalactic travel will change everything.

ReputationRep:
    I think the baby boomers had it best. Final salary pensions are all but extinct ("The end of retirement" was a frontpage headline in the economist recently), there's been a massive reallocation in wealth towards the elderly (partly house prices) and the fertility ratio is below replacement in most western countries, meaning less workers per dependent. Not forgetting the levels of government debt to be repaid.

ReputationRep:
    It would appear more exciting, because we have a much wider knowledge of what is happening all over the world. A few hundred years ago, your average individual would be a stuck in a bubble only a few miles across.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this modern day is Rabid, so was the 90's tbf with acid house etc

ReputationRep:
    The future will be more exciting.

But so far, yes, this is more exciting. Or maybe caveman times were more exciting with wheels and fires and things.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting times to be sure. Seeing how the developed countries will cope and change with an aging population is going to be a huge shift in lifestyles. Don't know if I'd necessarily say exciting though, there's going to be plenty of trouble ahead with continuing growing populations and global warming.

Whether we will actually get to other planets is another matter, I doubt we'll manage it in our lifestyle, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a moon base towards the end of my life. Apparently they're planning to build a moonbase and use rockets leaving from the moon to get to other planets since there's less problem with using so much fuel to get out of the atmosphere. But that sounds like too much of a task to be finished in a lifetime.

EDIT: Damn, why did I answer so seriously? Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    You probably need to look up a little more history :cute:, there have been some pretty cool times on the past. I.e, when the British empire was awesome, and 'knowing' that the world was flat mustv'e been fun

ReputationRep:
    i believe i just said 'On' the past. O Well.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter was on today and it made me think that the absolute coolest job ever would be to be a magician about a few hundred years ago or so. Do a few convincing tricks for some medieval idiots, and a few centuries later even the big shot futuristic people (us today) are spending millions making films because we're still imagining what these mysterious magician guys' awesome secret lives might have been like.

ReputationRep:
    C19 was pretty darn revolutionary too.

ReputationRep:
    I think we have too much of everything now, though - too much choice, too many developments. I think that we lose sight of the simpler things and become spoiled children who constantly need new things to amuse us. I think it would have been exciting to have lived in the 19th century, to experience the major changes as a result of the Industrial Revolution, and the exciting imports from across the empire. Many things, that after such simple lives were unheard of. Today they can do pretty much anything and it barely raises an eyebrow.

ReputationRep:
    well its the 21st century now - can you define 'now'?

I daresay a lot more in terms of new knowledge/inventions was going on in the 60s and 70s - so those times were possibly more exciting if you wanted the brekaing of new barriers etc

ReputationRep:
    No, 70's ftw

ReputationRep:
    In the 1800s where the industrial revolution was at its peak and new factories were popping up everywhere, people probably thought they were in the most exciting time ever for technological development and urban expansion. Small villages were turning into big towns and cities in the short time of a couple of decades.

The Cold War brought the advancement of weapons that could destroy our own planet, and the looming threat of proliferation could have destroyed the world or allowed one person to control of it within a matter of minutes.

The 60s brought space exploration and the moon hasn't been reached by men for decades.

Though no doubt the 21st century is exciting. We could see the further production of antimatter soon, as well as holidays to Mars.

ReputationRep:
    I would say this is the best time to be living..the future looks a little bleak imo

Has there ever been a century like the 20th century in all human history? In fact, in the history of all life on Earth?

We've seen the clash of two different economic/social ideologies, communism and free market/democracy,

We've seen more people killed than ever before in warfare which took place throughout the whole world,

We've seen momentous technological and economic development. Compare the start of the century and the end; they're almost completely different,

We've seen huge advances in political rights and freedoms (although it looks like the future will almost certainly entail a step backwards),

We have for the first time explored space, visited the moon, mapped the human genome, widespread literacy and common education,

And plenty more,

All within the past 100 years which, in the span of humanity is a shockingly small period of time, and in the history of life on Earth is barely any length of time at all.

We are truly lucky to be alive at this point in time. There is so much change, progress, opportunity, development. Everything seems to be happening now. You may have spoken to people in your lifetime that were born before it all happened.

Circumstances of time aside, you are also lucky enough to be able to have internet access, literacy, freedom, education and a developed lifestyle to appreciate it all. Not even everyone alive now is as privileged. Which makes us even more special.

People will be saying the same in another hundered years, about their time.

Look up "intelligence explosion."

ReputationRep:
    (although it looks like the future will almost certainly entail a step backwards)
    What do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:

This has happened throughout time. The crusades is one example but there are many many more

In number we have seen more due to more advanced weaponry ,however, a lower proportion of the population has died in warfare.

This is a continual process. We continually see momentous technological and economic development. One could argue that what we have now is nothing more than and extension of the industrial revolution and that that was a far more momentous technological and economic advancement.

Again politics has been continually adapting and changing throughout time.

In the past we discovered new continents and explored then. We explored the poles and the mountains. Now this has been done space is just the next step.

And plenty more,

A person alive in most century's could argue these things. I'm sure in 200 years time we would be seen as backwards just as medieval societies are seen as backwards by us today.

He I agree, the rate of change is faster but that is because of technology. The more of it you have the easier it is to advance and the faster it happens.

Still a good time to be alive but not that much different that other century's. Just the result of continual change and advancement.

ReputationRep:
    No. There's nowhere to explore anymore, the world is so small. I wish I could be an explorer or a pioneer

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.