Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got a C at GCSE and I'm doing it next year.

What should I go over? Its not that I'm bad at it, I just never tried.

Does it rely on GCSE principles?

Any tips for a new maths student?

ReputationRep:
    There letting you back in with a C? Surprisingly you do need principles such as quadratic formula and such for A level. If you plan on getting a good grade at A level you have a lot of work to put in.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to really struggle with only a C, C1 has some GCSE stuff at the beginning, after that you go over some new stuff like differentiation, integration, some series stuff. It gets more difficult at C2.

Just revise indices, factorisation, quadratic formula, linear algebra and that's all I can think of right now, C1 is non-calculator so boost up your mental maths.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)
    Well. In the same way learning to multiply "relies on" addition, yes, maths is cumulative. You will be expected to know GCSE maths inside out sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    Im quite suprised at you been let back in.

I got a B at GCSE in Maths and I struggled with AS maths, so expect to have to go to compulsory tutorials and the like. I dropped out of AS Maths (mainly as I was doing it in second year, and it meant I struggled with my other subjects (to the extent I resat Chem 4, and went from an E to a B).

If your willing to put in alot of work for it you'll be fine, but yes it does rely on alot of higher tier maths. Id advise you make certain it's what you want before you take it

ReputationRep:
    Do lots of algebra work, quadratic equations, surds, simplifying etc. Speaking from experience (and I got an A in GCSE maths) your algebra needs to be as good as possible before starting or you will definately struggle. You need to know the quadratic formula off by heart too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Do lots of algebra work, quadratic equations, surds, simplifying etc. Speaking from experience (and I got an A in GCSE maths) your algebra needs to be as good as possible before starting or you will definitely struggle. You need to know the quadratic formula off by heart too.
    Thanks for that. I'm going to work through GCSE higher maths. And look up quadratic formula. I know a maths tutor and he can help me go over a lot of the stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Im quite suprised at you been let back in.

I got a B at GCSE in Maths and I struggled with AS maths, so expect to have to go to compulsory tutorials and the like. I dropped out of AS Maths (mainly as I was doing it in second year, and it meant I struggled with my other subjects (to the extent I resat Chem 4, and went from an E to a B).

If your willing to put in alot of work for it you'll be fine, but yes it does rely on alot of higher tier maths. Id advise you make certain it's what you want before you take it
    I am willing to put in 100%. I'm on the level that I'd rarther die then fail in maths lol . So I'm going to speak to my tutor and go over all the GCSE stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at GCSE and failed AS maths! I know I could have done better if I'd have put the work in but I didn't enjoy it so there was no hope really!! If you enjoy maths and you're going to work hard (I mean seriously work your ass off) then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I am willing to put in 100%. I'm on the level that I'd rarther die then fail in maths lol . So I'm going to speak to my tutor and go over all the GCSE stuff.
    Well you're on the right lines there, if you're that into the maths at this stage then you should be alright, but make sure you dont compromise your other options to get a passing grade in your maths, it's not worth it

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad, just work as you go, any gcse maths can be quickly learnt and you basically do all you need again (eg you'll probobly do completing the square in AS lessons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Do lots of algebra work, quadratic equations, surds, simplifying etc. Speaking from experience (and I got an A in GCSE maths) your algebra needs to be as good as possible before starting or you will definitely struggle. You need to know the quadratic formula off by heart too.
    Is this the quadratic formula?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80J2dAUUyI

ReputationRep:
    I found the maths at A-level really different to at GCSE but obviously you need to know the basics and the teacher will assume that you do.

Having said that my simplifying, surds, fractions stuff etc. was really dodgy but once you get started doing stuff you use it all so often that you pick it up really quick.

Going over it during the summer would definitely help you a lot though.

ReputationRep:

Yep that's the one, it shouldn't take much to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C at GCSE and I'm doing it next year.

What should I go over? Its not that I'm bad at it, I just never tried.

Any tips for a new maths student?
    GCSE has hardly no mathematics worthy of the name IMO.You need to pretty much make sure you're familiar with stuff like completing square , simplifying algebraic expressions , trigonometric ratios etc - you need to be able manipulate stuff an awful lot with extended working which can take a page or so.

Please don't tell me this is the first time you've dealt with it , it would be worrying if you've not dealt with it at GCSE in some form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    GCSE has hardly no mathematics worthy of the name IMO.You need to pretty much make sure you're familiar with stuff like completing square , simplifying algebraic expressions , trigonometric ratios etc - you need to be able manipulate stuff an awful lot with extended working which can take a page or so.

Please don't tell me this is the first time you've dealt with it , it would be worrying if you've not dealt with it at GCSE in some form.
    I don't think I did it at GCSE. But it looks aright. Should take 10 mins learning it lol.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think I did it at GCSE. But it looks aright. Should take 10 mins learning it lol.
    No offence, but perhaps if you'd taken those ten minutes a bit more frequently over the year you wouldn't have got a C. Not that that really matters, but it does leave you with a lot of catching up to do. I seriously recommend you get yourself a revision book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    No offence, but perhaps if you'd taken those ten minutes a bit more frequently over the year you wouldn't have got a C. Not that that really matters, but it does leave you with a lot of catching up to do. I seriously recommend you get yourself a revision book.
    I've been going over GCSE maths and I have some past maths papers I will go over with my tutor.

After that I will do some of the a-level stuff just to get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    is it possible for any educated person to get a C in gcse maths? didnt think it possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    is it possible for any educated person to get a C in gcse maths? didnt think it possible
    What counts as an educated person at GCSE level?

OP: As others have said it would be best for you to go over the material in GCSE over summer particularly algebra. You may face a bigger jump than most between GCSE and AS-level but it's certainly surrmountable

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.