Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level maths do I go over GCSE stuff? watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    What counts as an educated person at GCSE level?
    Well, quite. I know Cambridge undergraduates who'd struggle to get a C at GCSE maths because frankly they don't give a toss about how high the tower is if Ahmed is 1.5m tall, standing 70m away from it and notices that the top of the tower is at an angle of elevation of 30 degrees from the top of his head. Conversely, I challenge any 16-year-old who's recently got straight A*s to call him-/herself 'educated' - smart maybe, hardworking probably, but educated? **** off.

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP has every reason to be concerned about A-Levels.

I think someone needs a reality check. How can you have such predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    I think the OP has every reason to be concerned about A-Levels.

I think someone needs a reality check. How can you have such predicted grades?

Check the third degree out. I've actually done my a-levels I say ABB predicted but I'm hoping for AAA. Need to brace myself for the worst.

I'm actually doing a-level maths in a foundation year at uni. 40 % pass mark. 1 hour exams every 8 weeks x 2 and 2 3hour exams. Looks a tad bit easier than the a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)
    Check the third degree out. I've actually done my a-levels I say ABB predicted but I'm hoping for AAA. Need to brace myself for the worst.

I'm actually doing a-level maths in a foundation year at uni. 40 % pass mark. 1 hour exams every 8 weeks x 2 and 2 3hour exams. Looks a tad bit easier than the a-level.
    I have read through your thread and don't understand what your position is. It now looks as if you got a Grade C at GCSE and are hoping to pass A-Level in one year ! What modules are you going to do?

What Grade A-Level counts as a pass?

Edit:
    What is the deal about 1 hour exams.... the Module exams are 1hr 30min

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    I have read through your thread and don't understand what your position is. It now looks as if you got a Grade C at GCSE and are hoping to pass A-Level in one year ! What modules are you going to do?

What Grade A-Level counts as a pass?

Edit:
    What is the deal about 1 hour exams.... the Module exams are 1hr 30min

I did my GCSE's in 2005/07 thats when I got GCSE "C"

I went on to do A-Levels in 07/09 I got AAA at AS Level now I am waiting till August 20th to get my A2 results

I applied for physics with a foundation year which requires me to do a-level standard maths at the university. The content is the same as the typical a-level but the exam format is slightly different. Alongside that I do a-level chemistry and physics.

ReputationRep:
    OK I understand.

Congratulations on your results so far.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C at GCSE and I'm doing it next year.

What should I go over? Its not that I'm bad at it, I just never tried.

Does it rely on GCSE principles?

Any tips for a new maths student?
    You could try using this self study to brush up/expand the pure maths that you should have learnt at GCSE and will need to succeed at A level
    00 Starting AS with confidence 2008 booklet.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You could try using this self study to brush up/expand the pure maths that you should have learnt at GCSE and will need to succeed at A level
    00 Starting AS with confidence 2008 booklet.pdf

Thanks for that! I just left you some rep. I was going through my GCSE guide. But this seems better. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    You can't do maths at A-level with at least a B at my school and I think there's only one of them and they're getting like an E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TigerJack)
    You can't do maths at A-level with at least a B at my school and I think there's only one of them and they're getting like an E
    Yeah same here, ours will only let people that got A/A* at GCSE and those that got a B have to do some extra "bridging unit" (or something like that) and they have to get a certain percentage to be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you can do quadratic equations and simultaneous equations as they're pretty important in the first year of A levels.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You will Die, with a C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    is it possible for any educated person to get a C in gcse maths? didnt think it possible
    Educated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    You will Die, with a C
    I don't care if it kills me. I will get 70% +. I don't care if I have to work all day every day until my eyes bleed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if it kills me. I will get 70% +. I don't care if I have to work all day every day until my eyes bleed.
    It's good to hear your motivated to do, but I dont think doing it to prove to everyone you can is the best motivation for it. But that's just me, just dont compromise your other A-levels to achieve it as that's a fatal error.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It will be a waste of your time!

Do another a level, maths ain't everything.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got a good grade at GCSE but hadn't done it for just over 2 years when I started AS so although not the same position you're in a similar one...

I revised a lot of algebra over my summer before starting A Level to make sure I was up to scratch and ensured I already had memorised all the appropriate formulas and equations. This helped a lot, particuarly the algebra work.

Well done on your Uni offer and if you're prepared to work hard I'm sure you'll do it -- if its a foundation year I'd expect there will be a lot of people in your position. It would certainly be a good idea to go over some algebra though but remember to enjoy your summer too

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE level maths and took on AS level maths and failed hard, it's a huge leap from GCSE to AS. Read up on Dijkstra's algorithm, Prims algorithm, other things on graph theory. Learn to differentiate and integrate, simple calculus stuff. I recommend the video lessons by "Khan academy" > http://www.khanacademy.org/ < they have some really helpful videos on stuff you'll be covering in AS level maths.

Hope it all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Hey, I got a good grade at GCSE but hadn't done it for just over 2 years when I started AS so although not the same position you're in a similar one...

I revised a lot of algebra over my summer before starting A Level to make sure I was up to scratch and ensured I already had memorised all the appropriate formulas and equations. This helped a lot, particuarly the algebra work.

Well done on your Uni offer and if you're prepared to work hard I'm sure you'll do it -- if its a foundation year I'd expect there will be a lot of people in your position. It would certainly be a good idea to go over some algebra though but remember to enjoy your summer too
    (Original post by DMed)
    It's good to hear your motivated to do, but I dont think doing it to prove to everyone you can is the best motivation for it. But that's just me, just dont compromise your other A-levels to achieve it as that's a fatal error.
    (Original post by Cowboy Dan)
    Make sure you can do quadratic equations and simultaneous equations as they're pretty important in the first year of A levels.

I've been over some of the GCSE stuff. And some AS level stuff.

But I checked the foundation year and in the first eight weeks I actually go over everything that forms "basic" knowledge.

Should I just relax in the summer or should I go over it again just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Should I just relax in the summer or should I go over it again just in case.
    Id choose the relaxing option, but it's down to how confident you feel, and you're the only on that will know that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 28, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.