Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Determining True friends vs Not so true friends Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently went to a party and drunk too fast beforehand which meant I turned up and within 20 minutes I was lying on the floor.

My friend and her boyfriend (and his friend) stayed behind with me while the others went off clubbing and said they'd catch up later.

The friend of the boyfriend ended taking care of me for most of it, I hardly remember my friend being there much except saying slightly unsurely "I'll stay here because I'm sure you'd do this for me." The friend went on to say to me at one point that if it wasn't for him and his friend I'd probably be there on my own..

She seemed a bit distant before we even started drinking and she sounded slightly weird the next day on the phone too. She seemed okay when I saw her in person though to pick up my stuff.

But I've text her since and she hasn't text back. Basically shows who your true friends are, or rather aren't. Doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? You drank too much and ended up on the floor because of it. Drinking that was your decision. These people then hung around with you rather than leaving you on your own.. Now they're slightly pissed off afterwards. I don't see what's unusual about that.

If one of my friends got completely wasted, passed out and I had to look after them all night therefore missing out on going clubbing too, I'd be pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, you ruined their night and now you're complaining about them.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I think the key thing here is that your friend did stay with you. And it probably even more of a good friend because she had her boyfriend and his friend with her, so she cared enough to put a downer on their night too.

Although to be honest if I was your friend I would have just got you a taxi home, and then made sure you got in safely.

Also, have you apologised for the state you were in & whatnot? If you havent then that might be why she's been a bit funny with you..

ReputationRep:
    I once fainted and the person out of all my friends I least likely expected came to see how I was doing afterwards, and none of the others did.
    I'll never forgive them for that. D:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but what has your freind done wrong? Your the one who put her in a difficult situation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)

If one of my friends got completely wasted, passed out and I had to look after them all night therefore missing out on going clubbing too, I'd be pissed off.
    Well that's the point he's making . If you were a 'true friend' you wouldn't be so worried about your night being ruined. I agree to an extent. It does show who really geniunely cares for you and is actually concerned for you. I've been out with 'friends' who tbh I'm not so close to and don't really like (more friends of friends to me at least) and they've got stupidly drunk I don't really look after them, those friends I actually care about I'd stay with them all night/ take them home. :yes: I said to extent because sometimes drunk friends just piss you off and you get angry that they drank so much, can't be assed to deal with them.

On the rare occassion I've been stupidly drunk I note who were the ones who looked after me ... top guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcake♥)
    Yea I think the key thing here is that your friend did stay with you. And it probably even more of a good friend because she had her boyfriend and his friend with her, so she cared enough to put a downer on their night too.
    Except, as I said, I don't even remember her being around. It was the boyfriend's friend who was looking after me the wholetime. He also seemed to think that she'd of ditched me if it wasn't for him and the boyfriend.

Also, have you apologised for the state you were in & whatnot? If you havent then that might be why she's been a bit funny with you..
    Yes I did, I called up the next morning and apologised to both her and the girl who's party it was. The latter seemed way more care free about it too.

(Original post by ChosenOne)
    Well that's the point he's making . If you were a 'true friend' you wouldn't be so worried about your night being ruined. I agree to an extent. It does show who really geniunely cares for you and is actually concerned for you.
    This basically. I ended up like this once before a few years ago and my friend at the time stayed with me the entire night and even called me next morning. I'm now starting to wish I'd kept them as a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChosenOne)
    Well that's the point he's making . If you were a 'true friend' you wouldn't be so worried about your night being ruined. I agree to an extent. It does show who really geniunely cares for you and is actually concerned for you. I've been out with 'friends' who tbh I'm not so close to and don't really like (more friends of friends to me at least) and they've got stupidly drunk I don't really look after them, those friends I actually care about I'd stay with them all night/ take them home. :yes: I said to extent because sometimes drunk friends just piss you off and you get angry that they drank so much, can't be assed to deal with them.

On the rare occassion I've been stupidly drunk I note who were the ones who looked after me ... top guys.
    It depends how often it happens, if it happens once or so in a blue moon then yeah I wouldn't be too bothered and hope the friend'd do the same for me depending on how close they were etc.. If it was pretty frequently though I'd begin to stop caring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    It depends how often it happens, if it happens once or so in a blue moon then yeah I wouldn't be too bothered and hope the friend'd do the same for me depending on how close they were etc.. If it was pretty frequently though I'd begin to stop caring.
    It's the first time I've ever got like this with her. It happened to me once before 4 years ago but we weren't even friends then or even in the same social circle.

She's basically just a fair weather friend. I'm just a little annoyed it turned out that way.

ReputationRep:
    You can't expect your friends to be complete stepfords surely?

Why can't you look on the positives? Someone looked after you so you should be pretty thankful for that.

ReputationRep:
    You stop her from getting sex'd up and expect her to be nice to you the next day?

Did I miss something or does the OP have downs?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.