Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    pe
    history
    bio
    classical civilisation
    chem
    film studies

if any1 could give me info on these subjects, and which would be best for me to take, how hard r they etc
    my predicted grades at gcse, do u think i could cope with the sciences and what could i do in the future with these, which 4 r the best to take?
    pe-A*
    history-A/B
    bio-A/B
    classical civilisation
    chem-A/B
    film studies-B in english if thats any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imagine)
    pe
    history
    bio
    classical civilisation
    chem
    film studies

if any1 could give me info on these subjects, and which would be best for me to take, how hard r they etc
    my predicted grades at gcse, do u think i could cope with the sciences and what could i do in the future with these, which 4 r the best to take?
    pe-A*
    history-A/B
    bio-A/B
    classical civilisation
    chem-A/B
    film studies-B in english if thats any help!

well it really depends what you want to do in the future, none are particularly 'better'. Though some are better 'respected', and can perhaps give you a greater range of options. It is far more important to do what you enjoy rather than what you think is 'better'. As there is a great chance that if you were to choose subjects due to their perceived worth, you may not enjoy them and sacrifice possible better grades by not doing other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    i would take biology and chemisrty but it depends about wot u wanna be!

ReputationRep:
    if you're planning to study anything like medicine/physio/pharmacy/biomed/biochem etc at uni you will DEFINATELY need chemistry and bio at a-level. Without these, it will be impossible (med) or will severely limit your choices of unis and courses.

I took chemistry simply because I had to to go to medical school. I hated it up until a-level, but really enjoying it at a-level. I was by no means 'a natural chemist', but hard work got me the A I needed. I found biology much easier than chem. Also took geography. These were all the old a-level system though.

A-Level chem is a well respected a-level, whatever you plan to do in the future,

ReputationRep:
    i would take history and chemistry, both well respected levels that will serve you well whatever you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imagine)
    pe
    history
    bio
    classical civilisation
    chem
    film studies
    Any apart from PE and Film Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Any apart from PE and Film Studies.
    yeah film studies, like media=doss course

ReputationRep:
    physics, chemistry and biology always go down a well with the uni's!!!

Also maths is good and economics and buisness studies. if you do stuff like english and media, film and **** like that they are viewed as easy subjects,......but depends on what u wanna do it life...

ReputationRep:
    If you are thinking about doing a degree in something sciency, then bio, chem & history would be a good combo. Or if you are heading for a degree in arts subjects then classical civ, history plus one of the sciences would be good too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    yeah film studies, like media=doss course
    Media is harder than maths - ive done both

Tek .. ur an idiot! What do you know you havnt even done your AS-Levels yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    physics, chemistry and biology always go down a well with the uni's!!!
    You know what else goes down well with Universities? Knowing how to use the apostrophe correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    You know what else goes down well with Universities? Knowing how to use the apostrophe correctly.
    See above ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    So, everyone who has 'yet to do their AS Levels' is an 'idiot', are they? How exactly can one quantify this on the basis of taking - note the word taking, not doing well in - exams? Richard Branson never took any exams, but his business sense has proved that he is exceptionally astute. Furthermore, not only do I believe that my correct use of the apostrophe is an indication of the fact that I am not actually 'an idiot', but I also believe that my GCSE results reflect the fact that I am somewhat intelligent. Moreover, I am perfectly entitled to correct your abysmal grammar; you have ignored the fact that I am right on this issue. Why should I not be entitled to argue and correct people who have done their AS Levels, just because I haven't?

It's also interesting how you say I know little *because* I haven't done my AS Levels yet. You seem to neglect the fact that knowledge is not necessarily acquired through the traditional education establishments, but then, you've probably never bothered to read a book in your life (if you had, you might be able to use an apostrophe correctly, or even articulate coherent sentences).

So, I have once again proved you wrong. In fact, I have managed to prove you an idiot. Although, I didn't really need to prove it; it's a truism. So go and play with your bric - a - brac until you grow a brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    So, everyone who has 'yet to do their AS Levels' is an 'idiot', are they? How exactly can one quantify this on the basis of taking - note the word taking, not doing well in - exams? Richard Branson never took any exams, but his business sense has proved that he is exceptionally astute. Furthermore, not only do I believe that my correct use of the apostrophe is an indication of the fact that I am not actually 'an idiot', but I also believe that my GCSE results reflect the fact that I am somewhat intelligent. Moreover, I am perfectly entitled to correct your abysmal grammar; you have ignored the fact that I am right on this issue. Why should I not be entitled to argue and correct people who have done their AS Levels, just because I haven't?

It's also interesting how you say I know little *because* I haven't done my AS Levels yet. You seem to neglect the fact that knowledge is not necessarily acquired through the traditional education establishments, but then, you've probably never bothered to read a book in your life (if you had, you might be able to use an apostrophe correctly, or even articulate coherent sentences).

So, I have once again proved you wrong. In fact, I have managed to prove you an idiot. Although, I didn't really need to prove it; it's a truism. So go and play with your bric - a - brac until you grow a brain.

It wasn't even my grammar you were correcting lol - egg on YOUR face tonight! LOL

I was saying 'what do you know' in that you were saying how little value an A-Level in Media Studies was ... when in fact you don't have the right to say things like that ... ok?

ReputationRep:
    If you had a brain cell, you might have written:

"Tek: you are an idiot! What do you know when you haven't even done your AS Levels yet?"

But you are an idiot. So you didn't write that. Instead you wrote some incoherent junk of which any 5 year old would have been ashamed.

And I'm entitled to my opinion too:
    • Film Studies - not Media Studies - is a waste of time and a fundamentally useless A Level (mainly because no half decent University will accept it for entry)
    • *dave* is an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

One - Its a bloody chat board - its informal - god some people are so annoying they think they have to type perfectly with every word arrgh!

Two - I have good results and Im proud of them but Im not going to boast about them cos thats not my style.

Three - get that stick out of your arse and stop trying to show off cos its just making you look like a silly little boy - calm down boy its only a chat board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

"Tek: you are an idiot! What do you know when you haven't even done your AS Levels yet?"

But you are an idiot. So you didn't write that. Instead you wrote some incoherent junk of which any 5 year old would have been ashamed.

• Film Studies - not Media Studies - is a waste of time and a fundamentally useless A Level (mainly because no half decent University will accept it for entry)
    • *dave* is an idiot
    Thats smells of pre-teen angst!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

• *dave* is an idiot
    Its a chat board mate ... calm down its not the end of the world when someone doesnt spell something right

ReputationRep:
    One - Its a bloody chat board - its informal - god some people are so annoying they think they have to type perfectly with every word arrgh!

Two - I have good results and Im proud of them but Im not going to boast about them cos thats not my style.

Three - get that stick out of your arse and stop trying to show off cos its just making you look like a silly little boy - calm down boy its only a chat board
    One - Do Not Use the Lord's Name in Vain. Oh, and how does one 'type perfectly with every word'? Do you mean 'perfectly type every word'?
    Two - An "A" Grade in Film Studies is worth nothing.
    Three - You provoked this discussion, so do not warn me to back off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    well it really depends what you want to do in the future, none are particularly 'better'. Though some are better 'respected', and can perhaps give you a greater range of options. It is far more important to do what you enjoy rather than what you think is 'better'. As there is a great chance that if you were to choose subjects due to their perceived worth, you may not enjoy them and sacrifice possible better grades by not doing other subjects.
    What are you talking about?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.