Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    edit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    the disk was stuck inside the console so my stupid brother took the ps3 apart to take it out, thus the seal is now broken so thats the warranty gone down the drain. The console wont turn on anymore too.

anyways, can someone recommend what to do with it now?

thnx
    Kill your brother?
    you could try changing the hard drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    Kill your brother?
    you could try changing the hard drive?
    edit.

ReputationRep:
    Is the ps3 not meant to shut down when it's overheating?

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking that too, but i dont think its a hard drive problem because Ive tried opening the PS3 without the hard drive in it and it still doesnt work.

Is it under warranty? that is all I can say if you have a SATA - USB cable you can back up your ps3 HDD to your pc so you won't lose anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omegaweapon1987)
    Is it under warranty? that is all I can say if you have a SATA - USB cable you can back up your ps3 HDD to your pc so you won't lose anything
    Her brother broke the warranty seal so it's void now...

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking that too, but i dont think its a hard drive problem because Ive tried opening the PS3 without the hard drive in it and it still doesnt work.

these guys in london are offering "cheap(ish)" repairs!

http://www.free-press-release.com/ne...237991816.html

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

my 60 GB PS3 has has the flashing light problem whilst my brother was playing Call of Duty 4, the disk was stuck inside the console so my stupid brother took the ps3 apart to take it out, thus the seal is now broken so thats the warranty gone down the drain. The console wont turn on anymore too.

Ive searched on the net and many have said that this is a harddrive problem or an overheating problem. I tried switching it on without the hard drive to see if that is the source of the problem but it still flashes so i think its something to do with the motherboard.

anyways, can someone recommend what to do with it now? should i send it for repair or sell it on ebay without the hard disk drive? is there anyway that i can remove the info from the hard drive because it contains personal info?

thnx
    They don't honour their legal obligations anyway so I don't think you'd have been covered by their warranty. I didn't open mine up when it went (after six months) but told me the fault (stopped reading discs) was repairable but not covered in the warranty so they wanted me to pay more money. Got a flashed 360 instead because of this.

ReputationRep:
    so my brother bought a new 80 GB ps3 today, anyone know how to transfer the data from the old hard drive to the new one? Ive tried putting the old 60 gb hard drive into the new 80 gb one but it deosnt work?

also what should i do with the old broken ps3 now? should i sell it on ebay? ive heard that some data stays on the RAM but i have personal data such as bank details which ive left on the ps3.

thnx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.