Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a clear out, and want to sell some of my professional makeup kit. Just had a look on ebay and they prohibit selling used makeup - the vast majority of my makeup has been tested, so it's pretty much all 'used'.

Any ideas how I can shift it? To buy new it comes to £560, so I would like to sell it all for a decent price, but since I can't use ebay, I'm stuck for ideas....

ReputationRep:
    gumtree? Make up forums? it is pretty iffy selling used make up

ReputationRep:
    ...here?

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope this doesn't effect results

Men

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people will want to buy it because of all the health and safety stuff to be honest I guess you could give it away but thats not much use

ReputationRep:
    well like people said people probably won't buy it cause it's used - do you have a 'friday ad' in your area? cos that is a good place to sell stuff. if not i think you're screwed!

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty sucky really. It's such an extensive kit too some of it was only used on a couple of jobs. I'll offer to sell it to a mate who's off to uni in Sept to do a makeup degree...

Ta for your input girlies.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are you selling? I might be interested in a bulk job lot.

ReputationRep:
    It's a mixture of theatrical, stage, fashion and special effects makeup and some misc items.
    Some hairdressing stuff too, like mannequin training heads with long human hair, hairbrushes, rollers, tongs etc.

ReputationRep:
    some of it would sell well on blogs etc, but if you want to keep it all together as a kit then the friend option sounds good
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sterilise what you can with alcohol, you can dip lipsticks in it and it works with powders too because it just evaporates off.... then put it on a blog, where you have to comment to reserve an item and then accept payment by paypal. A lot of the Beauty Gurus off Youtube do it, just advertise on forums you belong to, twitter, facebook etc.

That's just another idea if you reconsider I suppose, or for anyone else

ReputationRep:
    You can try selling it on here :awesome:

To me :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    gumtree/ads? or here? :p: if people know you're a trained make up artist and are hygienic (i'm guessing you used clean brushes/washed between uses) then they might be more inclined to buy.
    training heads and stuff would prolly sell easy in september.

ReputationRep:
    I've bought used makeup from ebay before, which suggests they don't really police it. If you just put it in small print I reckon you'll be fine.

However, if that doesn't float your boat, try a car boot sale, where you can personally explain to people what's been used and how etc.

ReputationRep:
    Local paper maybe? Selling it as one lot together to a student is probably your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    ebay aren't super strict on the used makeup front. i've sold used makeup on there before, i just sanitize it if possible and state that, also how many times it's been used. believe it or not, people *are* willing to buy used makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I'm having a clear out, and want to sell some of my professional makeup kit. Just had a look on ebay and they prohibit selling used makeup - the vast majority of my makeup has been tested, so it's pretty much all 'used'.

Any ideas how I can shift it? To buy new it comes to £560, so I would like to sell it all for a decent price, but since I can't use ebay, I'm stuck for ideas....
    Hmm...You could swap online at makeupalley, if there was other make-up you were after. It would save money.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll put it on ebay... try it anyway. I just don't want my account to be suspended or owt, got a lot of stuff to sell right now lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of putting some stuff (clothes, shoes, hats, lingerie) on ebay, I'll post the link when it's all on!

ReputationRep:
    You could always stick an ad up in your local college and hope a student notes it

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.