Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a clear out, and want to sell some of my professional makeup kit. Just had a look on ebay and they prohibit selling used makeup - the vast majority of my makeup has been tested, so it's pretty much all 'used'.

Any ideas how I can shift it? To buy new it comes to £560, so I would like to sell it all for a decent price, but since I can't use ebay, I'm stuck for ideas....

ReputationRep:
    gumtree? Make up forums? it is pretty iffy selling used make up

ReputationRep:
    ...here?

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope this doesn't effect results

Men

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people will want to buy it because of all the health and safety stuff to be honest I guess you could give it away but thats not much use

ReputationRep:
    well like people said people probably won't buy it cause it's used - do you have a 'friday ad' in your area? cos that is a good place to sell stuff. if not i think you're screwed!

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty sucky really. It's such an extensive kit too some of it was only used on a couple of jobs. I'll offer to sell it to a mate who's off to uni in Sept to do a makeup degree...

Ta for your input girlies.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are you selling? I might be interested in a bulk job lot.

ReputationRep:
    It's a mixture of theatrical, stage, fashion and special effects makeup and some misc items.
    Some hairdressing stuff too, like mannequin training heads with long human hair, hairbrushes, rollers, tongs etc.

ReputationRep:
    some of it would sell well on blogs etc, but if you want to keep it all together as a kit then the friend option sounds good
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sterilise what you can with alcohol, you can dip lipsticks in it and it works with powders too because it just evaporates off.... then put it on a blog, where you have to comment to reserve an item and then accept payment by paypal. A lot of the Beauty Gurus off Youtube do it, just advertise on forums you belong to, twitter, facebook etc.

That's just another idea if you reconsider I suppose, or for anyone else

ReputationRep:
    You can try selling it on here :awesome:

To me :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    gumtree/ads? or here? :p: if people know you're a trained make up artist and are hygienic (i'm guessing you used clean brushes/washed between uses) then they might be more inclined to buy.
    training heads and stuff would prolly sell easy in september.

ReputationRep:
    I've bought used makeup from ebay before, which suggests they don't really police it. If you just put it in small print I reckon you'll be fine.

However, if that doesn't float your boat, try a car boot sale, where you can personally explain to people what's been used and how etc.

ReputationRep:
    Local paper maybe? Selling it as one lot together to a student is probably your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    ebay aren't super strict on the used makeup front. i've sold used makeup on there before, i just sanitize it if possible and state that, also how many times it's been used. believe it or not, people *are* willing to buy used makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I'm having a clear out, and want to sell some of my professional makeup kit. Just had a look on ebay and they prohibit selling used makeup - the vast majority of my makeup has been tested, so it's pretty much all 'used'.

Any ideas how I can shift it? To buy new it comes to £560, so I would like to sell it all for a decent price, but since I can't use ebay, I'm stuck for ideas....
    Hmm...You could swap online at makeupalley, if there was other make-up you were after. It would save money.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll put it on ebay... try it anyway. I just don't want my account to be suspended or owt, got a lot of stuff to sell right now lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of putting some stuff (clothes, shoes, hats, lingerie) on ebay, I'll post the link when it's all on!

ReputationRep:
    You could always stick an ad up in your local college and hope a student notes it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.