Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've been asking too many vague questions for too long, so I just want to get to the bottom line. Do you think the PS3 will go the way of the Dreamcast? Clearly, it's not doing so well and the only reasons anyone has to hope for improvement are just rumors and a few leaked photographs. Sony execs constantly stress that they will NOT cut the price and Sony continues to lose $40+ per console sold. So, taking all of this into account and assuming that nothing changes (no price cut, no BC, no slim, etc.), will the PS3 eventually suffer the same fate that the Dreamcast did? Furthermore, I've heard a lot of people comparing Sony to Sega recently, so do you think the PS3 is Sony's last console?

By the way, I've asked this on a few other forums. Just want to clarify that it's so that I like getting as many answers as possible. Not trolling.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post19703653

ReputationRep:
    nahh ps3 has done quite well just not as well as expected im sure if you ask people what a ps3 is they would know unlike the dreamcast i know soo many people who haven't even heard of a dreamcast even though they were amazing! i've got a ps3 and i love it

ReputationRep:
    Unlike sega however, Sony make more than consoles. If the PS3 gets Bluray into homes, and gets people buying bluray disks, then losing $40 a console will seem like chicken feed. I think sony will make more consoles and will do well from it. some of the tech in the PS3 is very VERY clever, and I think that the PS3 has longer legs than its rivals.

ReputationRep:
    PS3s are the same generation as the 360 and don't carry out much more than the 360, but the console's hardware is streets ahead. Unfortunately, not many people can afford a PS3.

Microsoft and Sony's marketing has been appalling and has let the Wii overtake through marketing so it now outsells both consoles. Sony's marketing has been the worst though and the PS3 needs more exclusives. Little Big Planet seems to be the only effort they've made to compete with the Wii children's market.

ReputationRep:
    Backwards compatibility is coming soon, along with a raft of PS2 games on the PS Store. Plus PS3 slim and PSP Go and a load of cracking exclusives (Uncharted 2 looks like the ****, in a good way), yeah, I think it'll be fine. Certainly not enough to sink any future Sony gaming hardware plans. Maybe if the PS4 tanks. Cause it wasn't simply the Dreamcast not selling that killed Sega, it was also the Saturn being a fat turd that killed their sales AND their reputation. I have no idea how Nintendo survived the Gamecube after the N64 and the emergence of the Xbox, but all credit to them that theyve found a way to make ALOT of money from their system. Even if it is a piece of ****.

Tl;dr - No, PS3 = Saturn if the Saturn had been any good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    PS3s are the same generation as the 360 and don't carry out much more than the 360, but the console's hardware is streets ahead. Unfortunately, not many people can afford a PS3.

Microsoft and Sony's marketing has been appalling and has let the Wii overtake through marketing so it now outsells both consoles. Sony's marketing has been the worst though and the PS3 needs more exclusives. Little Big Planet seems to be the only effort they've made to compete with the Wii children's market.
    Only the CPU is ahead of the 360's CPU, when it comes to the GPU the 360 has a more powerful one tucked away in it's case than the ps3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)

It's not the children demo that's the problem, it's the whole casual gamer market. So that encompasses middle aged couples and girly girls and ironic 30 year olds and anyone who wouldn't touch a real console. I also happen to think Nintendo's marketing is strange at best, but mostly offputting; all white and Stepford Wifey and dystopian future where having fun is mandatory. Though neither Sony nor Microsoft have had a big marketing push, so maybe that's the difference, just Nintendo getting themselves out there in a big way, even if it is a creepy way.

I think Sony just pushed Blu -Ray a little too soon, cause that's what makes the damn thing cost so much to make. Although if they'd have stuck with DVD tech, would it have been a more powerful console than the 360? Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auronuk)
    Backwards compatibility is coming soon, along with a raft of PS2 games on the PS Store. Plus PS3 slim and PSP Go and a load of cracking exclusives (Uncharted 2 looks like the ****, in a good way), yeah, I think it'll be fine.
    Have you got a source for all of that please?

Last I heard, the PS3 slim is still just a rumour, and I've never heard anything about PS2 games on the PS store.

ReputationRep:
    Please remember that Playstation 2 gave Sony a license to print money.

Sega Saturn was a complete failure thanks to Playstation 1 and Sega didn't have any backup cash dolla billz.

I also think the PS3 has been a modest success and the best is still to come.

I think it's more accurate to compare PS3 to the first Xbox, which although technically superiour to the Playstation 2, never took off in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    I think people overstate the PS3 not selling well. I thought that the numbers said that it had sold faster than the PS2? That's quite fast.

ReputationRep:
    this year is a turning point, previous years it was all about the 360 whereas this year the ps3 now has as good as if not better games than the 360, there are a ton of epic games to come out for the ps3 whereas the 360 has already blown it's load, it is only up from here for the ps3, it's not 2007 anymore.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the children demo that's the problem, it's the whole casual gamer market. So that encompasses middle aged couples and girly girls and ironic 30 year olds and anyone who wouldn't touch a real console. I also happen to think Nintendo's marketing is strange at best, but mostly offputting; all white and Stepford Wifey and dystopian future where having fun is mandatory. Though neither Sony nor Microsoft have had a big marketing push, so maybe that's the difference, just Nintendo getting themselves out there in a big way, even if it is a creepy way.

I think Sony just pushed Blu -Ray a little too soon, cause that's what makes the damn thing cost so much to make. Although if they'd have stuck with DVD tech, would it have been a more powerful console than the 360? Probably not.
    Yeah I find the adverts showing families in very very white rooms quite cringeworthy as they've all been told to look like they're having loads of fun. There were a couple of adverts for Wii music. One had two parents and two kids playing it on a sofa, while another showed four twenty-somethings playing it in a trendy apartment. Pretty disturbing to say the least, as I doubt any of the above would touch an XBox or PS3.

Also what's with the DS Animal Crossing ads with the chicks playing it?

It seems Nintendo are taking their consoles away from males of 10-20 years old and giving it to their parents/big sisters/little brothers. I don't know what Nintendo's game is but it's probably making them big bucks.

XBox and PS3 are sticking to the young male audience by marketing games such as Gears of War 2 and Forza Motorsport continually.

If parents are buying Wiis instead of PS3s because of Nintendo's recent marketing then this is the reason why PS3s aren't selling too well I reckon. XBox have just managed to stay in the game due to selling low price consoles to its traditional market.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it selling at the same rate as the 360 for the same time period?

And Microsoft is yet to make a profit on not only the 360, but the xbox brand as a whole. So as a consumer, don't let the money bother you.

ReputationRep:
    Well EA support the PS3 so I think they will be fine. Plus although it wasn't great, the timing with PS3 was nowhere near as poorly judged as the release of the dreamcast. I'm still not sure whether it competes with the n64 or the PS2 =P

ReputationRep:
    Hardware Sales

Wii – 679k
    Nintendo DS – 511k
    Xbox 360 – 309k
    PlayStation 3 – 203k
    PSP – 172k
    PlayStation 2 – 101k

these are the sales for this year, ps3 isnt doin 2 bad lmaoo

ReputationRep:
    overall i think microsoft have sold about 30 million 360s and sony have sold 20 million ps3s.

ReputationRep:
    Backwards compatibility is coming soon, along with a raft of PS2 games on the PS Store. Plus PS3 slim and PSP Go and a load of cracking exclusives (Uncharted 2 looks like the ****, in a good way), yeah, I think it'll be fine. Certainly not enough to sink any future Sony gaming hardware plans. Maybe if the PS4 tanks. Cause it wasn't simply the Dreamcast not selling that killed Sega, it was also the Saturn being a fat turd that killed their sales AND their reputation. I have no idea how Nintendo survived the Gamecube after the N64 and the emergence of the Xbox, but all credit to them that theyve found a way to make ALOT of money from their system. Even if it is a piece of ****.

Tl;dr - No, PS3 = Saturn if the Saturn had been any good.
    I want more than digital backwards compatibility though. I just don't realise why they don't unlock the PS2 emulating software, its in the coding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    overall i think microsoft have sold about 4 million 360s and sony have sold 2.1 million ps3s.
    :facepalm:

30.20 million for Xbox 360

22.73 million for PS3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    :facepalm:

30.20 million for Xbox 360

22.73 million for PS3
    sorry that was the sales in uk only

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.