Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if a console is technological more advanced. If it's not as successful commercially, whether it's because of poor marketing or refusing to reduce prices, it will suffer in the market. Seen it happen with the Atari, Betamax and the Mac.

ReputationRep:
    The Dreamcast had games.

ReputationRep:
    i think its going to be more like the gamecube, except they won't make a profit on it like nintendo did

ReputationRep:
    Can't you guys see that this guy is trolling? He posted the same thing 2 weeks ago. A mod should lock this thread and ban this guy.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say the ps3 started of slow but is now gaining momentum. When i got mine, the day after it came out i think i was the only person in my college to have one...i didnt have a single friend on PSN for about 8 months, now i seem to be getting friend requests from people i know everyday...so i think things are looking up. There a lot of awesome games in store for the ps3 in the rest of 2009.

ReputationRep:
    No chance, PS3s are better and more popular than dreamcasts were!

Gamecube = Dreamcast = Sega Saturn

ReputationRep:
    People comparing xbox sales to ps3 sales, it means nothing. The 360 has been out about a year longer so of course they're going to have sold more.

ReputationRep:
    dreamcast had free games, and was awesome

PS3 has staggeringly overpriced games, and is cack

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to say because PS3 sales differ so much in different regions. Europe and Japan are keeping the PS3 alive, whereas in the US the 360 is dominating.
    In reality though, the PS3 needs a price cut. Especially with the economy like it is, £300 for a games console is just too much. Anyone remember the Kuturagi quote about people have two jobs to be able to get a PS3? rofl. However, you also have the fact Sony is still loosing money on each console sold, 3 years after its launch, so a price cut may be difficult. The slim version should help though, as it will be cheaper to make.

ReputationRep:
    I wish that they'd kept Kuturagi in for more priceless gems like that

ReputationRep:
    Would have been more amusing than Howard Stringers comments anyway. I wonder howhe would have responded to the whole Activision price cut thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Have you got a source for all of that please?

Last I heard, the PS3 slim is still just a rumour, and I've never heard anything about PS2 games on the PS store.
    Both came from an IGN podcast. Neither has been confirmed, but the PS3 slim has had a boxart leak and three companies in Japan have received orders from Sony to manufacture slims for them. Seems very unlikely that it won't ship this year. The fact that it's coming out at all is an absolute certainty after both of those leaks.

The backwards compatibility and PS2 games on the PS store comes from Sony patenting the software that allows PS2 games to be played on the PS3, and doing it very recently at that. It seems like a formality that they'd start putting them up digitally, particularly with the all of the PSP games they're going to put up there when the Go comes out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trolling. I'm just stating the painfully obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is my final attempt to stop you from trolling. You have posted a similar article 2 weeks earlier, so I don't know what you are trying to achieve. If you have a ps3 and don't like it, sell it off. If you have a 360 and are jealous of a ps3, get a life. If you have a 360 and don't like it, sell it off and buy a ps3. Simple as that.

Going back on topic. The dreamcast was released on November 1998, and discontinued in March 2001. That makes it 2 years in a console lifecycle before being discontinued. The ps3 on the other hand has already been released for 3 years now. Developers already have titles planned for both the ps3 and the 360 for 2010, so it is going to be there for another year, sorry to disappoint you.

The Dreamcast sold only 10.6 million units in its lifespan. The ps3 has already sold more than 21 million and has been selling at a faster rate than the 360.

From metacritic, Dreamcast had only 120+ games. Ps3 has 360+ games (that's 3 times as many games if you don't understand maths)

the dreamcast launch price was 199 dollars (admittedly 10 years ago). the ps3 launch price was 600 dollars. And it still outsold the dreamcast.

The dreamcast was a successor to the sega saturn, which again was not a popular console. The ps3 is the successor to the ps2, the best selling console of all time.

So to answer your question, no the ps3 is not like the dreamcast. Now go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    Ok so this is my final attempt to stop you from trolling. You have posted a similar article 2 weeks earlier, so I don't know what you are trying to achieve. If you have a ps3 and don't like it, sell it off. If you have a 360 and are jealous of a ps3, get a life. If you have a 360 and don't like it, sell it off and buy a ps3. Simple as that.

Going back on topic. The dreamcast was released on November 1998, and discontinued in March 2001. That makes it 2 years in a console lifecycle before being discontinued. The ps3 on the other hand has already been released for 3 years now. Developers already have titles planned for both the ps3 and the 360 for 2010, so it is going to be there for another year, sorry to disappoint you.

The Dreamcast sold only 10.6 million units in its lifespan. The ps3 has already sold more than 21 million and has been selling at a faster rate than the 360.

From metacritic, Dreamcast had only 120+ games. Ps3 has 360+ games (that's 3 times as many games if you don't understand maths)

the dreamcast launch price was 199 dollars (admittedly 10 years ago). the ps3 launch price was 600 dollars. And it still outsold the dreamcast.

The dreamcast was a successor to the sega saturn, which again was not a popular console. The ps3 is the successor to the ps2, the best selling console of all time.

So to answer your question, no the ps3 is not like the dreamcast. Now go away.
    Okay, so maybe it'll last into 2010. But after that, I think it'll come crashing down. Sony clearly has no intention of changing the way they're doing business. They may run on fumes for another year, but after that, it's game over. Of course, they'll still scream "10 year plan" even after they've closed the PlayStation division.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between the Dreamcast and the PS3 is that the Dreamcast drove Sega into the ground and the PS3 has the backing of the entire Sony corporation, meaning it will only die when Sony loses so much money that their stocks begin taking the hit. Not to mention the fact that the PS2 still makes them amounts of money you could only imagine.

If anything, the Wii would be this era's Dreamcast. But unlike the Dreamcast, the Wii managed to make a huge profit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by granzagirl)
    The difference between the Dreamcast and the PS3 is that the Dreamcast drove Sega into the ground and the PS3 has the backing of the entire Sony corporation, meaning it will only die when Sony loses so much money that their stocks begin taking the hit. Not to mention the fact that the PS2 still makes them amounts of money you could only imagine.

If anything, the Wii would be this era's Dreamcast. But unlike the Dreamcast, the Wii managed to make a huge profit.
    Sony's game division has been in the red for years now, they dont make enough money from the PS2 to come anywhere near negating the effect of the PSP and PS3 costs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Sony's game division has been in the red for years now, they dont make enough money from the PS2 to come anywhere near negating the effect of the PSP and PS3 costs...
    Yes but the PS2 was the most popular console ever, so I imagine they have quite a bit of money "in the bank", so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP has been smoking too much crack.

Step back from the crack, and place the pipe on the floor.

Idiota :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Yes but the PS2 was the most popular console ever, so I imagine they have quite a bit of money "in the bank", so to speak.
    But their PS3 losses easily outweigh any profits they make on the PS2. Their gaming division (as well as the rest of the company) has been bleeding money for years now and it only makes sense that they'd cut the one division that's hurting them the most: gaming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.