Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[please please approve this! [please put as anon. this isn't a troll thread, I just really need a little advice ]]

I know it's normal for people my age (17) to go to bed late, almost everyone I know does. Thing is, I took it too far and it messed up my sleeping pattern.

Before, I'd stay up until about 2am most nights (even before school when I'm meant to be up at 7) but now, it's more like 6am - even on school days!

I've tried to correct my body clock by not sleeping at all one day and it didn't work - I fell asleep at 5pm and woke up at 11, which kept making it worse.

I was in school and at lunchtime, I was sitting in the common room relaxing and I tried taking a nap - then two of my friends started playing table tennis on the tables and I started dozing off, but then I jumped up and my eyes felt like they popped - it's been like that for too long. Now, even when I've had an eight hour sleep, I still feel very tired!

People are calling me lazy and stuff and I think they're right. I hardly have the energy to do anything these days!

How can I put this right again before it gets any worse? Thanks if you can find the time to help!

Is anyone out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is anyone out there?
    perhaps, i think everyone's asleep.

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to bed between 4-6am and get up at midday. I'm gradually getting myself to bed earlier but I still find myself getting up at the same time as when I went to bed much later.

They say oversleep can ruin your energy levels. I'm not one to give advice though, I have terrible energy levels and sleeping habits.

ReputationRep:
    Make a timetable and stick to it? Read before bed, drink milk before bed- these are meant to make you sleepy.

ReputationRep:
    Try sleeping half an hour earlier each night until say 12? Also set an alarm for a certain time, preferably 6 or more hours after going to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I've had similar problems over the past few years but I've found the only thing that really works is to get yourself into a good routine. Make sure that you never stay up later than midnight, even if you are shattered go to bed read a book and get some good rest. Also excercising and exhausting yourself during the day means you get a good nights sleep and gradually get into a good sleep pattern again.

ReputationRep:
    go see a doctor you may be have low iron levels, and he can sort it out for you, there might be other factors that you are less conscious of aswell - stress eating habbits etc
    in terms of regulating yourself -

get up go to school. you dont want to disrupt that routine
    when you get home as sson as you get tired, go to sleep in hour and a half intervals set an alarm to wake you up, get up and then when you get tired go to sleep again, make sure youve been up about 2 three hours before you go to bed at night, try to go between 11 and 12. and regarless of wether you can sleep or not just stay in bed because physical rest can help - so read or just relax if you cant sleep in bed
    its worked for me in the past

ReputationRep:
    You just need to correct it one day that's all. Forcing yourself not to sleep at 5pm, making yourself stay up until 10pm. Then you'l be so tired you'l fall to sleep within seconds. And wake up in the morning all refreshed.

ReputationRep:
    Start going to bed earlier each night and set your alarm for a decent hour in the morning.

So, instead of going to bed at 6, go to bed at 5, then the next night another hour earlier until you're getting to around midnight. The more you do it, the easier it'll be.

ReputationRep:
    If it is as bad as you make out, maybe you should be seeking proper medical advice? There is only so much information that strangers such as myself can give, unless you are lucky enough to get a doctor posting on here.

It can be down to a number of things, like life stress, heat, diet, boredom.....
    I always found going to bed boring, so started watching dvds and things when I went to bed, which helped.

Some common aids to sleep are:

reading, listen to music, hot drinks, avoiding caffeine in the evening or all together, watch tv, keeping active during the day, having a hot bath, getting more light during the day and keep a regular sleep pattern.

If none of this works, I suggest seeing your GP

ReputationRep:
    Search google on the 6 hour sleep for 40 days plan. Apparently it's quite good.

ReputationRep:
    Have a toss before you go asleep.If this doesnt work then have two in quick succession.If this doesnt work then have 3 and if this doesnt work have 4.This cannot fail

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.