Turn on thread page Beta

A suitable degree for graduate entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would Medicinal chemistry be a good degree to study if I was aiming to get into graduate entry medicine? Is there any disadvantages compared to people who study Biomedical science?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

I'm not sure when the last time this was updated, but generally you'll want to call up the admissions of the unis you're going to apply to so you can be sure.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much any degree will do, I know people who had offers for 4-year programmes with philosophy/psychology degrees (of course most 4-years require something life/health science related, but not all). It's not so much which degree as much as what you do with it and how much work experience you get during the course of it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get in to GMP without any experience in volunteering or social service?
    I have my bachelors in physiology (1st) and masters in pharmacology from Oxford. Now I am finishing up my phd in gastroenterology (8 months to go ).

The reasons (for not volunteering) are pretty straight forward... well

a)As an undergrad, didnt think about it.
    b)as a postgrad, didnt find enough time to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victork)
    Is it possible to get in to GMP without any experience in volunteering or social service?
    I have my bachelors in physiology (1st) and masters in pharmacology from Oxford. Now I am finishing up my phd in gastroenterology (8 months to go ).

How do you know what medicine and hospitals are like? How do you know that you can work with (indeed, enjoy working with) ill people? You need to convince universities (and yourself, of course!) that you have a pretty good understanding of what you're letting yourself in for and that you have the makings of a good doctor. It's hard to see how you'd do this without having any experience in a healthcare/social care setting.

ReputationRep:
    It's not your degree it's how you use it

(That didn't have the double entendre effect that I intended :/ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victork)

Find time now.

It isn't just about ticking things off on a list, it's about whether you actually think you'd be able to get through the course and do the job.

They get thousands of applicants who are very busy and find the time to do work experience so if you are organised there is no reason why you can't too.

ReputationRep:
    Dear victork,

I noticed that you did an MSc in pharmacology at Oxford. Was it the taught MSc? If so, what was it like? Was it very intensive? Would you recommend it? I ask as I am considering the taught MSc there.

Thanks a lot

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.