Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    heyy, recently i was diagnosed with cancer and am just about getting over it now :woo:
    I just wanted to know how you would react to this and especially girls i am starting to see? I only ask because before i had it, this probably would of disturbed me if the person i was seeing had been through it.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't matter, i'm interested in the persn., not their medical history, i'd be curious about their experiences, but as long as they're a nice person then it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care in the slightest, it wouldn't matter as it doesn't affect anything to do with the relationship.

Fancy a date OP?

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry to hear of your sad news!! *hugs*

This must be an extremely difficult time for you, and I think a lot of people when they think of people getting cancer, tend to bypass these little details that are concerning you, but I can totally see why these would bother you. These are the normal issues in everybody's lives, that bother us every day and they don't just go away when you have cancer to think about, only amplify I guess! I've never experienced anything like what you're going through so really, I am in no position to make comment.

About a year and a half ago now, one of my male friends was diagnosed with cancer. He is still suffering from it but he is doing extremely well, he's still often seen out and about and is still popular with the girls, because he has always been such a nice, charismatic guy. I'm not a close friend of his and therefore not in a position to talk to him about these feelings, or as to whether he has gotten involved/ considered getting involved with any of these girls. So unfortunately I can't give you much information in regards to how he finds things with girls. I know that he has had a serious girlfriend throughout his illness, I'm not sure whether they became an item before or after his diagnosis, I think it was after. Though they're no longer together now I'm certain this has nothing to do with him being ill!

All I know is, that if my boyfriend turned up at my house and told me he had cancer, there is absolutely no way on this earth I would "freak out" and abandon him. I would be very upset and frightened for his sake, and yes it would be a shock to hear it initially. But I know I would stand by him and carry on as normal. I think the situation is probably slightly different if it's someone you've just started seeing, or want to start seeing. However, for me personally, I would still keep the same mindset; if I genuinely liked this person, then an illness would not deter me, I would continue to get to know them etc.

I hope you're coping ok with your news, and I wish you the very best of luck with all your future treatment in the hope that it leads to a speedy recovery!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for all your nice words, i will go to uni with my usual confidence. I might see you PurpleMonkeyDishwasher at sheffield, since they've made me an unconditional offer!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Would make no difference to me, and im sure it wouldnt the vast majority of people. People may be a little intimidated but as long as they were not closed minded and accepted some sort of explination of such it would be okay.

Im sorry to hear about everything aswell.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.