Turn on thread page Beta

Explain the genetics of skin colour? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hm, my boyfriend has this gorgeous light brown skin (kind of mid brown now he has a tan) and dark hair, and basically he has really complicated heritage but to sum up, his mother has all British ancestors, his dad's dad was Irish/Armenian I think and his dad's mum was Portuguese/Irish and darker than the dad. My boyfriend's dad is a lot lighter than him though, kind of Iranian looking, so is his sister, so I'm thinking is there any possibility that the genes for dark skin can be recessive?
    Also, if by some crazy chance we end up marrying and having kids, will they turn out light but the grandkids are darker?:p:

Sorry, I'm a biologist and find genetics fascinating

ReputationRep:
    I don't know nearly enough about genetics, but surely if it was a recessive gene, he'd need two copies of it to have darker skin, which he isn't getting from his mum? So it must be dominant...

Bear in mind I haven't done genetics since I was in yr 11, lol

ReputationRep:
    I am blonde with greeny blue eyes.

Parents are dark haired, brown eyes and tan easy, my brother is also exactly like them. Cannot find anyone in the family like me, family gatherings are mind bogggling.

I FAIL.

I guess I am living proof that DNA FAILS. Hah I joke, I wouldn't like to take on science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    I am blonde with greeny blue eyes.

Parents are dark haired, brown eyes and tan easy, my brother is also exactly like them. Cannot find anyone in the family like me, family gatherings are mind bogggling.

I FAIL.

I guess I am living proof that DNA FAILS. Hah I joke, I wouldn't like to take on science
    Haha that's pretty cool.
    My dad has blue eyes, my mum and sis have brown and I end up with green like my nan :p:

ReputationRep:
    The weirdest thing is that in pics of him when he was little, he looks...well completely white lol, so I don't know if he's just seriously tanned atm or what! (we haven't been together so long lol)

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Remember that skin colour is a polygenic trait - it is controlled by more than one gene. I expect there are tens, maybe hundreds of genes affecting it which explains the existence of the many variations possible. I expect that some of these genes are recessive, and some are dominant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    We're all thinking it...
    I am not adopted. Mum has lots of baby pictures of me with all of them...maybe they borrowed a small blonde girl for the pictures..Also my mum is a bit of a worrier and wouldn't let the hospital take me away from her after I was born, there were some awful stories around that time of 'baby swaps' where babies got mixed up! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    if i remember rightly ( correct me if i'm wrong) the genes for skin colour are neither recessive or dominant but are expressed as a mixture of the parents genes (there is a special name for that kind of gene but i can't remember it) e.g if a red rose and a white rose cross pollinated they would produce pink roses.

ReputationRep:
    these like 4-6 genes all operate under incomplete dominance, each gene comes in several alleles

these are cases like this, there have been cases where black parent, have had white kids

which every gene gets switched on, do you get crossing over when the cell divide down into the gametes, you have environmental factors

you can write books on this stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbo99)
    if i remember rightly ( correct me if i'm wrong) the genes for skin colour are neither recessive or dominant but are expressed as a mixture of the parents genes (there is a special name for that kind of gene but i can't remember it) e.g if a red rose and a white rose cross pollinated they would produce pink roses.
    that's pretty much what incomplete dominance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    these like 4-6 genes all operate under incomplete dominance, each gene comes in several alleles

these are cases like this, there have been cases where black parent, have had white kids

which every gene gets switched on, do you get crossing over when the cell divide down into the gametes, you have environmental factors

you can write books on this stuff
    aha...yeah I remember reading that a black couple had white babies, or the other way round, crazy! I guess you just don't know what's going to pop out, do you?
    And thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    aha...yeah I remember reading that a black couple had white babies, or the other way round, crazy! I guess you just don't know what's going to pop out, do you?
    And thanks
    no real way of telling, it be a bit of a shock, sort of thing you won't think will happen, until it happens

you can prob look at the genetic make up of the unborn, as you pretty much know which gene should be where, its just something your think will never happen

ReputationRep:
    I'm white, so pale.
    My mom is from far east Asia.
    My brother is white but tans well, so he's always tanned. Takes after my Italian dad.
    Really I shouldn't be soooooo white, let alone white at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    I'm white, so pale.
    My mom is from far east Asia.
    My brother is white but tans well, so he's always tanned. Takes after my Italian dad.
    Really I shouldn't be soooooo white, let alone white at all.
    East Asian and Italian? That is an amazing combination! :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    East Asian and Italian? That is an amazing combination! :love:
    Oh and you're tall and gorgeous! I could not be more envious lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.