Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tomb Raider 9 Details Surface Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stunning details of Tomb Raider 9 show every sign of reinvigorating the series if leaked conceptual art published by 4Player Coop are to be believed. According to the web site, a 'mole' not only floated up the artwork, but also an internal brief on what players can expect from Lara's ninth outing.

"When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows.

"With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past.

"As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move."

A list of bulletin points were also attached to the brief.

* Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, trick and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
    * Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.
    * Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns, and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.
    * Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat game play options.
    * Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump: There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
    * One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
    * Origin Story: The new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.

As was expected, 4Player Coop received a stern letter from Eidos' legal team and have since removed the pictures. But a quick search on Google News will yield several more sites who have yet to feel Eidos' legal wraith.

Pics are now back up!

ReputationRep:
    Oh nice

ReputationRep:
    Looks rather strange and not like tomb raider at all! have to wait till I see it in action before I pass judgement though all be it weird to go from action/adventure to open world survival horror?

ReputationRep:
    I thought more people would be over this , pics are now up

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I don't like survival horror

ReputationRep:
    Wow it looks really good.

My heart still belongs with Tomb Raider 2 and 3.

anyone have a favourite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PirateFlag)
    Wow it looks really good.

My heart still belongs with Tomb Raider 2 and 3.

anyone have a favourite?

2 by far was the best

ReputationRep:
    cant say I care about TR anymore:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Old school Tomb Raider baddies, nice. And a reboot. Bit unnecessary, but cool nonetheless.

Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get scared of being in the cave with wolves in the first tomb raiders, hopefully this will make me scared again!

ReputationRep:
    i wish eidos focused more on the hitman games!

ReputationRep:
    In the first level of the first game, where you go down these stairs into this open space and the wolves are there. DAMN that music made me **** myself. The soundtrack to the old games were sick. Angel of Darkness was filth, Anniversary was alright because you got to see some of the original levels in detail. Anybody played the latest one, Underworld? I thought it was pretty good all round.

ReputationRep:
    They need to bring her home back as a training stage. They was cool

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been reading up on this. I've got to say, I'm pretty interested, but I'm not entirely sure how they're going to pull it off. I have a feeling that it's not going to be so much 'survival horror', as 'action game in a scary setting'. I mean, check out the image of Lara riding a horse while shooting baddies off with a bow and arrow. Survival horror my tits.

That said, I have to say I'm really interested in the concept of an open world. As long as they make sure there's a purpose of it being open ended (i.e, have proper side missions and substantial rewards for exploration, rather than a linear game with a large and redundant environment) then I have to say this is in with a shot of being halfway decent. I also find it a little amusing that they're claiming THIS is a 'reboot' when Tomb Raider: Legends was meant to be a 'reboot'. So it's essentially a reboot of a reboot.

Finally, I've heard on other forums that this release is going to be handled by Square-enix?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGyano)
    In the first level of the first game, where you go down these stairs into this open space and the wolves are there. DAMN that music made me **** myself. The soundtrack to the old games were sick. Angel of Darkness was filth, Anniversary was alright because you got to see some of the original levels in detail. Anybody played the latest one, Underworld? I thought it was pretty good all round.
    I was really enjoying Underworld until I hit the glitch on the Southern Mexico level which made it impossible to continue without restarting the level and doing it all again still haven't summoned up the will to do it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)

Finally, I've heard on other forums that this release is going to be handled by Square-enix?

I believe Square enix bought out Eidos

ReputationRep:
    tomb raider is jumping on the horrorfest bandwagon. *sad face*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslaurabee)
    I was really enjoying Underworld until I hit the glitch on the Southern Mexico level which made it impossible to continue without restarting the level and doing it all again still haven't summoned up the will to do it...
    Unlucky babe.

yeah I thought I got the glitch aswell but I didn't. That level was LONG and boring. I used to think it would be amazing to be able to use her bike in the first one but now that we can it just became annoying with all them jumps. But I managed to make it through to the underground next level.

ReputationRep:
    ...So we're going to have to fight Samara/Sadako in this Tombraider?

ReputationRep:
    i hope they change it from the last few games.
    they were good, but something about them didnt feel right.
    too many people i think
    i hope theres more monsters and creatures from now on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.