Turn on thread page Beta

No idea what to do in life watch

Hi all, just looking for some advice/support.

Im currently 19 years old and im in a real messy situation. Basically I have no idea at all what to do with my life. i left school in june 08 with a-levels bbb (business studies, geography, biology, and 9 grade A gcses). This year, I have taken what you could call a gap year where I basically worked all year in a retail job, nothing exciting but i got a great experience of real life as it is my first ever job, and has learned me quite a lot about life (its a job in a city about 30mins away from me). Its been a very boring year, as ive no real friends and i am depressed as a result( i have a few other probs, which i see a dr about).

I held a place for economics for entry in sept 09, but im not sure if i should take it or not( i wasnt sure when i applied, also as i am unsure what type of job i want to do).

Another option ive considered is going to spend 2 years to do different a-levels to take me into a more scientific career (ie maths/physics a-levels). Sometimes i feel i would like to try this path.

What Im getting at is that im in a really difficult situation, decisionwise. Im the most indecisive person you could meet. Its really wrecking my head at the minute, because ive no idea what i want from life and dont know what path to take.

I really feel so alone as so many people i went to school with have had clearer pathways in their head, regerding what they want to do in life. I just havnt a bl00dy clue, and for that reason i think at times i should just not do either of those options, but just work for another year at least (which isnt a year best spent, i think im quite a smart person, and would benefit from education rather than wasting intelligence by working in thanklesss jobs for another year). there is so much potential for me to make a wrong decision here and waste time effort and money big time.

I feel lifes just too complicated in the respect of making deciosions with careers, as uni is such a big financial and effortwise commitment.

Does anyone else out there have any problems in this respect like mine (no idea what carreer to do)?

and, anyone have any constructive advice??

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be surprised at how many people don't know what to do in their life - even those who've clearly known what they want to study. Few degrees actually lead into jobs; most people use the three years thinking about what they want to/can do afterwards. There are certainly enough graduates out there unsure of what path to take, so count yourself lucky you're facing this issue early. An undergraduate degree should fuel your academic interest, rather than be a stepping stone into a job (in my idealised world anyway).

I don't think you're going to be able to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life overnight/over weeks/the upcoming months. Nor should you. The question of entering the next stage of your life, is something you can deal with. University-wise, ask yourself:

Can I see myself doing this degree for three years (and enjoying it)?

Am I happy with the university/city that I've chosen?

Am I definitely more suited towards academic work as opposed to vocational work (I'd say you were given your grades)?

You've done the right thing by not entering into university lightly. It is a large financial/time commitment, but remember the ambiguity of your future is simply a part of being 19/20/21 i.e young.

Ask yourself if your interest in science is so great you want to undertake a degree in it, or if you're happy to keep it as a passing interest? An Economics degree is quite mathematical, so that should keep that side of your interest at bay. In two years time, you'll be a mature student as well (21). Do you really want to wait this long before university? My advice would be, if your 80% (or more) about going this year, then go. Don't be put off by niggling doubts.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all, just looking for some advice/support.

Im currently 19 years old and im in a real messy situation. Basically I have no idea at all what to do with my life. i left school in june 08 with a-levels bbb (business studies, geography, biology, and 9 grade A gcses). This year, I have taken what you could call a gap year where I basically worked all year in a retail job, nothing exciting but i got a great experience of real life as it is my first ever job, and has learned me quite a lot about life (its a job in a city about 30mins away from me). Its been a very boring year, as ive no real friends and i am depressed as a result( i have a few other probs, which i see a dr about).

I held a place for economics for entry in sept 09, but im not sure if i should take it or not( i wasnt sure when i applied, also as i am unsure what type of job i want to do).

Another option ive considered is going to spend 2 years to do different a-levels to take me into a more scientific career (ie maths/physics a-levels). Sometimes i feel i would like to try this path.

What Im getting at is that im in a really difficult situation, decisionwise. Im the most indecisive person you could meet. Its really wrecking my head at the minute, because ive no idea what i want from life and dont know what path to take.

I really feel so alone as so many people i went to school with have had clearer pathways in their head, regerding what they want to do in life. I just havnt a bl00dy clue, and for that reason i think at times i should just not do either of those options, but just work for another year at least (which isnt a year best spent, i think im quite a smart person, and would benefit from education rather than wasting intelligence by working in thanklesss jobs for another year). there is so much potential for me to make a wrong decision here and waste time effort and money big time.

I feel lifes just too complicated in the respect of making deciosions with careers, as uni is such a big financial and effortwise commitment.

Does anyone else out there have any problems in this respect like mine (no idea what carreer to do)?

and, anyone have any constructive advice??

sound like you do need a job role that is challenging to bring out your creativity and personality together and have them involved in whatever you're doing to be satisfed. But since you have completed a full year's employment place in the fashion, retail industry why don't you search on an internship programm abroad in countries like USA, france, Iltay that will be fun and also give you responsibilty working at catwalks, fashion houses plus travel experience before setling down.

ReputationRep:
    "Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don’t."

Break down your options: continue work, go to Uni, take additional A-Levels...

Then consider the advantages and disadvantages of the different routes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.