Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Would You Get To Know Someone Better? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend have been together for a month now, and because of our lives we only get a certain amount of time together but we do text and/or speak regularly, but i do fear that we don't know enough about each other because tonight i was hanging out with some old college friends who i both haven't seen in a while (one 4 months, the other a year) who i get on so well with no matter how much time we've spent apart, but with my boyfriend i feel i have to warm up to him throughout the evening.

So, i decided i should take him out and get to know him better...

What i'm asking:
    - Where should i take him/Where would you take someone you wanted to know better?
    - Is this normal?
    - Does this mean i don't like him as much as i think i do?

Thank you, would really appreciate the help.

ReputationRep:
    It just comes really. You just have to spend time with them. Your friends you may have been speaking to for years and years. And even then you can be surprised by what you don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, what do you mean - warm up to him? I find that to be not a positive sign early on in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    sensual massage.

ReputationRep:
    it took me a long time to get used to being back with my boyf, and i sometimes still have trouble talking to him about certain things, especially hard when I realize what I talk about with my friends compared to him; It gets easier over time - that's all I can say, to give it time and just talk about current events and your interests - the conversation should flow from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erradhadh)
    Erm, what do you mean - warm up to him?
    I mean that when i first see him, i feel odd just kissing because when i meet him it's normally in public so i tend just to accept his hug and then kiss him a few minutes later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    sensual massage.
    lol... i mean actual personality - we spend enough time in bed as it is ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocoa)
    it took me a long time to get used to being back with my boyf, and i sometimes still have trouble talking to him about certain things, especially hard when I realize what I talk about with my friends compared to him; It gets easier over time - that's all I can say, to give it time and just talk about current events and your interests - the conversation should flow from there
    time... yeah it's all about time - but it is difficult when i think i can spend hours just talking to my proper friends and with him i fall silent lol time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    It just comes really. You just have to spend time with them. Your friends you may have been speaking to for years and years. And even then you can be surprised by what you don't know.
    yeah, with most other friends and such, i've always found that i've had the opportunity to spend loads of time with them when i've met them and with him it's so limited so it's taking longer to build up a true friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glo316)
    Me and my boyfriend have been together for a month now, and because of our lives we only get a certain amount of time together but we do text and/or speak regularly, but i do fear that we don't know enough about each other because tonight i was hanging out with some old college friends who i both haven't seen in a while (one 4 months, the other a year) who i get on so well with no matter how much time we've spent apart, but with my boyfriend i feel i have to warm up to him throughout the evening.

So, i decided i should take him out and get to know him better...

What i'm asking:
    - Where should i take him/Where would you take someone you wanted to know better?
    - Is this normal?
    - Does this mean i don't like him as much as i think i do?

Thank you, would really appreciate the help.
    out for a meal is always a good idea, its just you two and its based around conversation. i.e. cinema obv not
    and to be honest if yous jst sit in silence gd indication its not going well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glo316)
    I mean that when i first see him, i feel odd just kissing because when i meet him it's normally in public so i tend just to accept his hug and then kiss him a few minutes later.
    Oh, okay. I was thinking you had trouble speaking with him or something which would have been a bad sign. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LALA LAND)
    out for a meal is always a good idea, its just you two and its based around conversation. i.e. cinema obv not
    and to be honest if yous jst sit in silence gd indication its not going well
    it's not that we don't talk, it's more the fact i feel myself holding back information that i usually would say aloud when i'm in his presence - it's odd, and i'm still trying to figure out why that is hence this idea to get to know him better.

ReputationRep:
    surely that will come with time? You've only known him a month, even after a year and a half there will still be stuff you wont tell him even though he will probs know more about you than anyone else. Just talk and it will come as you trust/love him. You cant just expect to want to tell him everything from day one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    surely that will come with time? You've only known him a month, even after a year and a half there will still be stuff you wont tell him even though he will probs know more about you than anyone else. Just talk and it will come as you trust/love him. You cant just expect to want to tell him everything from day one.
    oh yeah, i agree...i personally believe that the more time you spend with someone, the more things you learn and the experiences you share (laughter, jokes and such) make you better friends... but the main cause for this thread was to get ideas of what to do with him - like situations that would prompt us to talk about things, a good idea for a date etc ??

ReputationRep:
    I totally get what you mean! This used to happen to me a lot, but I found the trick is to see them as regularly as possible until you feel more comfortable around him to see him less.

Talking is obviously key. Try and stray away from those small talk type of conversations and talk to him about his past, or his thoughts and feelings towards things. It might open him up and you'll feel like you know him better which'll relax you more when you meet.

ReputationRep:
    Try something orginal and creative!
    How about a nice walk in a quiet forest?
    A picnic?
    Something she won't expect and somewhere quiet where you can both relax and have good conversations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantomsimmer)
    Try something orginal and creative!
    How about a nice walk in a quiet forest?
    A picnic?
    Something she won't expect and somewhere quiet where you can both relax and have good conversations
    mmm... i like that idea.. i did suggest that the next time he's around, that we should sit around and eat pizza - not original, i know - but it was to do with our conversation at the time, and i feel it would be relaxing so we could just talk to each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I totally get what you mean! This used to happen to me a lot, but I found the trick is to see them as regularly as possible until you feel more comfortable around him to see him less.

Talking is obviously key. Try and stray away from those small talk type of conversations and talk to him about his past, or his thoughts and feelings towards things. It might open him up and you'll feel like you know him better which'll relax you more when you meet.
    yeah that's the bit that i find hard - so many of my friends only know me for what they've seen as opposed to what they know because i'm not a first-class-sharer, and for me to tell him things is difficult... and as for regularly, he's always away so its weekends only and i hate being a bother and keeping him away from his family and friends...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.