Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do my History Masters part time in September and am unsure of what would be the best to apply for . A taught MA or a MRes . Firstly , is there any difference in the cost? Would the research MA be the most beneficial if I wanted to pursue the phd route in a couple of years? And what are the pros and cons? Any advice/personal experience would be really appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbain)
    I want to do my History Masters part time in September and am unsure of what would be the best to apply for . A taught MA or a MRes . Firstly , is there any difference in the cost? Would the research MA be the most beneficial if I wanted to pursue the phd route in a couple of years? And what are the pros and cons? Any advice/personal experience would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    Depends on the MA in Research to be honest. If you look at the one at the IHR (here: http://www.history.ac.uk/study/histo...search/details )

That is NO different to my normal taught MA in History in terms of essay length, number of essays required, the research element and length of the dissertation.

Other MRes courses are much more theory based with fewer essays and a much long dissertation (20 000+ words).

4 of my 6 MA essays have been research based, the other two have been methodology/theory. Currently doing a diss of between 12 500 and 15 000 words. I feel completely happy about going onto a PhD but I did have fantastic research training at undergrad which taught me far more than my MA has done! It really does depend on how much actual research you've done beforehand and whether you need to tailor the choice of course to gaining more research experience.

Cost wise - I'd imagine tuition fees would be roughly the same - most taught MA courses are around the £4000 mark. All depend on where you go as the more popular unis charge more.

Pros and cons:

Pros for the MRes - longer dissertation if you choose where you go wisely; you're not doing loads more taught modules on subjects you might not to want to study/have had enough of reading about stuff etc. Debatable whether they're better for PhDs, again depends on the course and how it's done.

Pros for the taught MA - more like a 4th year, just with far more research involved. Chance to study subjects you've not done before. Not as highly focussed on research

Cons - can be pretty boring, you might cover stuff you've already done, just a usual MA. Can be an expensive waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Is an MRes more likely to have ESRC approval than an MA, or is this sort of thing totally specific to individual courses rather than forming a trend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Is an MRes more likely to have ESRC approval than an MA, or is this sort of thing totally specific to individual courses rather than forming a trend?
    It completely depends. The normal Economic & Social History MSt at Oxford qualifies for example. The ESRC has quite specific requirements about their funding and only select departments have it. Also if you want to go for a ESRC funded PhD, it'll most likely be a 1+3 as they require you to have the right MA too. Ilex woukd be the one to ask about ESRC, I'm more a AHRC expert :o:

(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    x
    For AHRC, it's much wider and most MAs and MRes courses will fit their criteria. They seem to be much more open about requirements and I've never seen a list of which unis & courses the AHRC approves of, unlike the ESRC.

Here's the list of unis and subjects that can be currently funded by the ESRC: http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre...tcm6-13834.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    It completely depends. The normal Economic & Social History MSt at Oxford qualifies for example. The ESRC has quite specific requirements about their funding and only select departments have it. Also if you want to go for a ESRC funded PhD, it'll most likely be a 1+3 as they require you to have the right MA too. Ilex woukd be the one to ask about ESRC, I'm more a AHRC expert :o:
    Thanks. Sociology, and my preferred MPhil, are eligible but I think specific Sociology MAs here and there aren't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.