She's Leaving Home - The Beatles
    Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley
    Five Years - David Bowie
    Wake Up - Arcade Fire
    Last Goodbye - The Enemy

Corr, forgot the ultimate miserable git song:

It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry - Glasvegas

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Joy Division and Radiohead and The Smiths, some Paul Baribeau songs are really tragic too.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo anything by Coldplay.

ReputationRep:
    Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths (although the smiths are :coma:)

Anything by Morrissey or the Smiths - Morrissey is never happy it seems :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Many things by Alice in Chains, Breaking Benjamin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Soilwork, Demon Hunter, Linkin Park, Bullet for my Valentine, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and so on.

ReputationRep:
    My Chemical Romance- Desert Song
    My Chemical Romance- Cancer
    Keane- Bedshaped (well the video makes me cry anyway ^.^)

Thoroughly depressing =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruitcakey)
    Could anyone suggest to me some dreary miserable songs to make me feel sad? Just have a strange urge for it now.
    I was thinking something like Creep, or Mad World.

The original version of Mad World is quite upbeat, actually :yep:

And just generally- why does everyone say Radiohead are depressing?

If you don't mind just some music, then I love this. Not exactly depressing, but melancholic (at least listen to around the 3:00 mark if nothing else):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5C99JyP2ns

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much anything by nine inch nails. I have "every day is exactly the same" stuck in my head a lot...

A lot of the cooper temple clause can be pretty miserable. And of course an awful lot of the other stuff mentioned in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    you said james blunt so GTFO you complete idiot (that was as nicely as it could be said) profresh you entioned elliot smith, and the smiths, and catatonia, whoever knew you had such a lovely taste in music .
    Wtf, lol.
    OP,I suggest James Blunt- Goodbye my Lover or No Bravery (First one is more upsetting, lol)

Also, although it's not exactly a sad song, Peter Gabriel's 'The Book of Love' never fails to upset me, lol.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Amy Kuney - All downhill from here
    Moby - natural blues
    Cat Power - the greatest
    Tegan and Sara - nineteen

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty damn depressing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I2KBRIoMaY

ReputationRep:
    Hey, OP here, thanks for all the contributions, didn't expect the thread to take off, especially as i made it at 4am today.
    And Crazybeautiful, I'm going to see Radiohead in Prague in august, and i'm a massive fan, but even I have to concede they have a fair few songs that are depressing. Just look at Knives Out, that's about caniballism, and wolf at the door: "Steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom"

ReputationRep:
    must listen if you want sad song:
    Lonely Soldier - Damien Rice

ReputationRep:
    Anything by The Smiths

ReputationRep:
    The Smashing Pumpkins - The Crying Tree of Mercury
    Skillet - Comatose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruitcakey)
    Hey, OP here, thanks for all the contributions, didn't expect the thread to take off, especially as i made it at 4am today.
    And Crazybeautiful, I'm going to see Radiohead in Prague in august, and i'm a massive fan, but even I have to concede they have a fair few songs that are depressing. Just look at Knives Out, that's about caniballism, and wolf at the door: "Steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom"

But in terms of their entire discography, they aren't a 'depressing' band. and certainly I don't think any of their songs that are 'miserable git songs' are just that. Meaning they are still good, enjoyable and melodious songs to listen to, and not merely to wallow in

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, I reckon Creep is pretty miserable, but I see where you are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    Orestes - A Perfect Circle
    Orestes is lovely! The Noose, however..

:emo:

ReputationRep:
    Run On Sentence - The Afterlife Part 1. Beautiful, but yeah, bleeeeeak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVKKk...eature=related

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.