Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What kinda qualifications would one expect to have for helpdesk support roles.

All I have is an just an AVCE in ICT and two years BSc CompSci.

I have been looking at the Comptia A+ cert.

I have downloaded practice exams from http://www.simulationexams.com
    A+ Essentials 220-601
    A+ IT Technician 220-602

Having done two out of three exams in the IT Technician section I just scraped a pass.(With just my own knowledge no studying)
    In general I know must of the answers just some of the detailed stuff that I have never used eg. IRQ numbers, printers.

Anyway questions:

What I want to know is would this cert help me get at least an interview?
    (I haven't gotten any interviews no surprise I have no experience or qualified lol)

What material did you use to prepare for this exam?
    (trainsignal.com)

Anyone recently A+ certified and now stated there first ever IT job?
    (Hopefully this will be me but I am lacking the working experience which other candidates will have)

Whats your age and your certs
    (23, A-levels)

Anyone else trying to enter the IT sector?

Anything you need to tell me?
    (ie make sure you know .... for the exam)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi206)
    What kinda qualifications would one expect to have for helpdesk support roles.

All I have is an just an AVCE in ICT and two years BSc CompSci.

I have been looking at the Comptia A+ cert.

I have downloaded practice exams from http://www.simulationexams.com
    A+ Essentials 220-601
    A+ IT Technician 220-602

Having done two out of three exams in the IT Technician section I just scraped a pass.(With just my own knowledge no studying)
    In general I know must of the answers just some of the detailed stuff that I have never used eg. IRQ numbers, printers.

Anyway questions:

What I want to know is would this cert help me get at least an interview?
    (I haven't gotten any interviews no surprise I have no experience or qualified lol)

What material did you use to prepare for this exam?
    (trainsignal.com)

Anyone recently A+ certified and now stated there first ever IT job?
    (Hopefully this will be me but I am lacking the working experience which other candidates will have)

Whats your age and your certs
    (23, A-levels)

Anyone else trying to enter the IT sector?

Anything you need to tell me?
    (ie make sure you know .... for the exam)
    The exam costs about £100-115 each try, so its probably best to make sure you pass it first time.

I'd recommend self-studying as it'll be cheaper(about £20 or so for a book) than going through a training provider which will charge you about £2000 for the whole course. It'll enhance your chances of getting a job but the problem at the moment is that most employers will prefer experience even though you have the cert, so it's probably best to try and find a low job e.g. at your local computer shop while studying for the cert, that way you're getting experience, and you'll have the cert..

I have a BND in IT and I'm currently studying for my CompTIA A+ and N+ It's fairly easy and common knowledge really.

edit: Book im using atm: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cert...7397471&sr=8-1

The spec is changing at the end of july but i've been informed it won't be changing much so it should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    The exam costs about £100-115 each try, so its probably best to make sure you pass it first time.

I'd recommend self-studying as it'll be cheaper(about £20 or so for a book) than going through a training provider which will charge you about £2000 for the whole course. It'll enhance your chances of getting a job but the problem at the moment is that most employers will prefer experience even though you have the cert, so it's probably best to try and find a low job e.g. at your local computer shop while studying for the cert, that way you're getting experience, and you'll have the cert..

I have a BND in IT and I'm currently studying for my CompTIA A+ and N+ It's fairly easy and common knowledge really.

edit: Book im using atm: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cert...7397471&sr=8-1

The spec is changing at the end of july but i've been informed it won't be changing much so it should be ok.

I was looking at CompTIA A+ and N+ aswell as some microsoft certified courses. Which are the best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobycs)
    I was looking at CompTIA A+ and N+ aswell as some microsoft certified courses. Which are the best?
    I'd recommend the MCDST, however do NOT get lots of certificates with NO experience, it will go against you.

I'd stick with gaining the CompTIA A+ and N+(If you're interested in networking) at first, then after experience, the MCDST. It all depends on the role you wish to work in, may I ask what sort of role interests you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    I'd recommend the MCDST, however do NOT get lots of certificates with NO experience, it will go against you.

I'd stick with gaining the CompTIA A+ and N+(If you're interested in networking) at first, then after experience, the MCDST. It all depends on the role you wish to work in, may I ask what sort of role interests you?
    i most likely want to be an it consultant and part time programmer/web dev in my own business

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.