The Student Room Group

new country, new school

Hi!
I've just moved from the UK to New Zealand, met some new people, but none of them go to the high school i'm starting next week!

I've never had to start a new school on my own, the transfer from primary to secondary in the UK i found easy 'cos i knew people, but here i'm a complete stranger! It makes it even worse that i have to get on the bus in the morning on my own!

I'm really bad in those kind of scenarios, where i absolutley know no one, i don't even know how i'll react! No idea how to approach people at all, really want to make a good impression!

haha and i'm not even sure where my bus is picking me up!:woo:

cheers!
Reply 1
lilyfern
First of all: find out where the bus stop is!

Second: Relax. Just be yourself. The first couple of weeks at a completely new school by yourself are always weird but you've got a completely different school system to get used to so that will probably take up most of your time. Once you get into the swing of things you'll be fine, and you'll meet plenty of people too, so you'll be able to make some friends.

How are you finding NZ so far? I remember your thread about moving there. You're in the Hawke's Bay region, if I remember correctly?

yup i'm in the bay!
nice to hear from you again!

yeah i got a big leaflet on the school in the post, it all works differently here! but i've got a feeling that it's going to be better than the UK! :P
Reply 2
I've done this..except it was to France where the language was also different! Just make sure you're friendly and talk to as many people as you can :smile: Try not to shy away as difficult as it may seem. Though..the new kids always get loads of attention :smile: So i'm sure you'll have plenty of people eager to make friends with you.

Good luck! I remember I was ******** bricks before I started my new school. And I'm jealous...New Zealand looks an amazing place.
Reply 3
Nattynoo101
I've done this..except it was to France where the language was also different! Just make sure you're friendly and talk to as many people as you can :smile: Try not to shy away as difficult as it may seem. Though..the new kids always get loads of attention :smile: So i'm sure you'll have plenty of people eager to make friends with you.

Good luck! I remember I was ******** bricks before I started my new school. And I'm jealous...New Zealand looks an amazing place.

wow! well done for surviving!
i'll be thankful on my way to the school that i'm speaking the same language as them!
i guess the fact that i'm foreign will attract some attention anyway :P
Reply 4
lilyfern
I'm heading back to NZ myself at the end of this month. Two weeks in Christchurch, two weeks lazing around in the mud pools in Rotorua :woo: and then over to my Uni (Massey) in Palmerston North. I can't wait!

Yeah our education system is pretty different to the UK, but once you get your head around all the NCEA jargon, it's all good. Good luck!

i'm pretty chuffed with myself that i actually know where all of those places are! :biggrin:

was thinking i might apply to uni over here if i like it, so far so good! Have been hearing the term "weatherbomb" lately, but it's actually nothing compared to scotland! :P
Reply 5
Also, find out what time the bus is. That might help if you get there on time.
Reply 6
Should be fine, you say you went from Primary to Secondary with people you know, but i didn't really and made a bunch of new mates quickly and so did others.

It's natural, you'll get to know ppl in no time.
Reply 7
seejayybee
Hi!
I've just moved from the UK to New Zealand, met some new people, but none of them go to the high school i'm starting next week!

I've never had to start a new school on my own, the transfer from primary to secondary in the UK i found easy 'cos i knew people, but here i'm a complete stranger! It makes it even worse that i have to get on the bus in the morning on my own!

I'm really bad in those kind of scenarios, where i absolutley know no one, i don't even know how i'll react! No idea how to approach people at all, really want to make a good impression!

haha and i'm not even sure where my bus is picking me up!:woo:

cheers!

Show um how to play rugby properly.

Latest

Trending

Trending