Turn on thread page Beta

Do the Britons want more international students? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, having just completed my A-levels and predicted 3 Bs, I have offers from quite some British unis. Bt I'm beginning to doubt if the British society is actually willing to have more overseas students. Not that I judge you for not wanting more immigrants to seize your PT jobs or stuff but I really need to know. I want to land up in a place where I'm wanted, study in peace n dignity... Furthermore, the new visa system for Britain doesn't feel like they are interested on getting an award for best host nation either. Well, even British sitcoms lack coloured characters and since the UK wasn't made up of immigrants unlike the US or Canada, racial discrimination seems to politically accepted. well, it's just my opinion. Any suggestion and corrections are welcome!!!
    CIAO

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I think I'm going to the uni of east anglia this fall incase I decide to take on my offer. Anyone else going to enjoy the Norwich sun?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind, you should also bring your friends if you get bored!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un_gars_romatinque)
    Well, even British sitcoms lack coloured characters and since the UK wasn't made up of immigrants unlike the US or Canada, racial discrimination seems to politically accepted.
    Your post was fine, until I stumbled on this misinformed, baseless tripe.

How would the fact that British sitcoms lacking 'coloured' characters imply that you would receive harassment or racial abuse once entering this country? Such factors do not correlate. This statement is also highly ignorant, as there are plenty of 'coloured' characters in British sitcoms. Over 90% of Britain is white, so if television should be representative, then British TV is adhering to this guidance. Funnily enough, the BBC is notorious for positive discrimination and hiring people of varying ethnic origins to appear more diverse.

Actually, you could argue that the UK was made up of immigrants, if you consider the Normans and the Anglo-Saxons. I don't see how that has any bearing on racism whatsoever. Racism is most definitely not politically accepted, I would go as far as saying that the current UK government has gone out of its way to tackle racism and discrimination within this country, to the point of absurdity.

I wouldn't let these baseless, fabricated views of Britain prevent you from studying here. Your sheer ignorance, however, may be something which will conflict with a university education.

ReputationRep:
    Well, having just completed my A-levels and predicted 3 Bs, I have offers from quite some British unis. Bt I'm beginning to doubt if the British society is actually willing to have more overseas students. Not that I judge you for not wanting more immigrants to seize your PT jobs or stuff but I really need to know. I want to land up in a place where I'm wanted, study in peace n dignity... Furthermore, the new visa system for Britain doesn't feel like they are interested on getting an award for best host nation either. Well, even British sitcoms lack coloured characters and since the UK wasn't made up of immigrants unlike the US or Canada, racial discrimination seems to politically accepted. well, it's just my opinion. Any suggestion and corrections are welcome!!!
    CIAO
    I go to London or Harrow and i CANT SEE AN ENGLISH PERSON. Then when i think i see a white person, turns out they speak a foreign dialect anyway!
    My friend was actually on the phone to me 'How many english people you see?'
    'None'

Yes some places can be racists but the majority of cities are extremely multicultural....Sheffield, London, etc.

I don't have a problem with foreign students because they're working and just wanting to study like anyone else.

As for 'politically correct'...completely ridiculous.
    London is one of the most multicultural places in the WORLD.

Depends where you are applying to uni, what ones you have in mind?

ReputationRep:
    'United Kingdom

Multicultural policies were adopted by local administrations from the 1970s and 1980s onwards, in particular, by the Labour government of Tony Blair. In national policy, legislation includes Race Relations Act and the British Nationality Act of 1948. The United Kingdom now has the highest immigration rate in the EU[citation needed]. '

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicu...United_Kingdom

Tyvm...'politically correct'....bloody hell....

But yes atm there is a general anti immigrant feeling although no one has a problem with immigrant workers as such...its the ones that claim of the government and never work a day in their lives.

One many paid for a house, had 5 children and never worked a day in his life. The rest of us are struggling to pay bills!! You can understand your anger from that .

But then polish people, where i am (one of the only places BNP got in) they are not minded at all because their is an incentive they work their butts off .

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so certain. I'm an Australian student applying to a couple of universities this year and have found that whilst your government seems to support their students quite well, the opportunities for overseas students to do the same is ... lacking. Many scholarships offered to international students are directed particularly at asiatic regions - China, Malaysia - I know I'm having difficulty finding scholarships I am applicable for as an undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    Well nevermind the UK, the Universities presumably welcome internationals with open arms because of the massive fees they pay. Your University will be your community if you study here, so it will be the environment which most affects you. If you're worried about racial issues, why not choose a London University? I'm guessing they're the most ethnically diverse, but I don't know any real figures

ReputationRep:
    I like international students. I would rather have lots of internationals then 100% British, lots of interesting people with different stories.

ReputationRep:
    CIAO
    At my college (TVU Reading) there was a Nepalese community, a lot of British Muslims over here too, and Africans/ Jamicans... you'll be fine dw =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Your post was fine, until I stumbled on this misinformed, baseless tripe.

How would the fact that British sitcoms lacking 'coloured' characters imply that you would receive harassment or racial abuse once entering this country? Such factors do not correlate. This statement is also highly ignorant, as there are plenty of 'coloured' characters in British sitcoms. Over 90% of Britain is white, so if television should be representative, then British TV is adhering to this guidance. Funnily enough, the BBC is notorious for positive discrimination and hiring people of varying ethnic origins to appear more diverse.

Actually, you could argue that the UK was made up of immigrants, if you consider the Normans and the Anglo-Saxons. I don't see how that has any bearing on racism whatsoever. Racism is most definitely not politically accepted, I would go as far as saying that the current UK government has gone out of its way to tackle racism and discrimination within this country, to the point of absurdity.

I wouldn't let these baseless, fabricated views of Britain prevent you from studying here. Your sheer ignorance, however, may be something which will conflict with a university education.
    Hmm, You caught me here. I grew up watching American sitcoms and the only british sitcoms I've ever heard of is the big brother and may be the catherine tate show: I ain't bovered. lol!
    But the entire racism controversy with big brother wasn't helpful. Anyway, in American TV shows like Desperate housewives et al, u don find racism or stuff whatsoever. I don't remember anyone from the show who has a problem with Gaby. I know that the correlations I'm trying to draw out seem strange, but I believe that TV programs represent the society they are based on. BTW, is it true that the English would rather have a foreigner speak with a thick accent than speak like an American? Or is it just that I'm getting worried to the point of sounding like an obsessive compulsive disordered guy, because of all the fabricated stories they tell me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well nevermind the UK, the Universities presumably welcome internationals with open arms because of the massive fees they pay. Your University will be your community if you study here, so it will be the environment which most affects you. If you're worried about racial issues, why not choose a London University? I'm guessing they're the most ethnically diverse, but I don't know any real figures
    OH yes, don even tell me bout the fees: painfully high. Took an eternity to talk my dad out of his desire to send me to an American uni. They can be much inexpensive because they have scholarships and stuff. However, I couldn't be bothered with spending like 4 yrs to get a freakin' degree.I HAVE HONESTLY NOTHING AGAINST THE AMERICANS, I even sound like one. Nonetheless, America lacks culture that Britain is enriched with: the castles, the Tudors and everything. WOW!
    About London, the living expense is way too high. Mrvr, I didn't get into LSE or UCL so I rather chose Norwich.

ReputationRep:
    OP's post is a load of tripe. As an international student, I've found Britain to be one of the most tolerant places I've been to, in some ways more than the US or South-East Asia. Its not "politically correct" to be racist, and if you think the lack of colored people in a sitcom you might have watched is indicative of a non-inclusive society, you might want to visit places like London or Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    OH yes, don even tell me bout the fees: painfully high. Took an eternity to talk my dad out of his desire to send me to an American uni. They can be much inexpensive because they have scholarships and stuff. However, I couldn't be bothered with spending like 4 yrs to get a freakin' degree.I HAVE HONESTLY NOTHING AGAINST THE AMERICANS, I even sound like one. Nonetheless, America lacks culture that Britain is enriched with: the castles, the Tudors and everything. WOW!
    About London, the living expense is way too high. Mrvr, I didn't get into LSE or UCL so I rather chose Norwich.
    Fair enough.
    I don't like America either (having been).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)

Depends where you are applying to uni, what ones you have in mind?
    Hmm,
    University of East Anglia- BBB (for BSC in economics)- firm
    University of Northampton-BBC (BSC in accounting and finance)-insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayla Phoenix)
    I'm not so certain. I'm an Australian student applying to a couple of universities this year and have found that whilst your government seems to support their students quite well, the opportunities for overseas students to do the same is ... lacking. Many scholarships offered to international students are directed particularly at asiatic regions - China, Malaysia - I know I'm having difficulty finding scholarships I am applicable for as an undergrad.
    I agree on that front . Unfortunately due to crap economy and crap government handling of it lol this may be why.
    We're already facing 50k English students unable to attend university due to government cutting costs so i'm assuming all their resources will mostly be going to citizens.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.