Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm back again after asking a painfully simple question last time, and i have a feeling this one's even simpler, but here we go anyway...

So here's the question:
    "The half-life of Cobalt-60 is about 5,000 years. this means that every 5,000 years, half the remaining atoms will decay into another element. If a sample contains 40 grams of Cobalt-60 in the year 2005, how much Cobalt-60 will be left in the sample in the year 2550?"

Now in my class that I took this past year (Algebra II with Trigonometry), we literally did ONE half-life problem, so it's most definitely not my forte. Anywho, with some work and thought I came up with a final answer of 37.09g, which just doesn't seem right. Maybe it is? I don't know, any help's appreciated.

Again, sorry if it's a simple question, but maybe I'm just not thinking straight because it's 12:13am here (Wisconsin, USA).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I'd start by stating the equation for a quantity undergoing exponential decay, expressing the mass at time t, in terms of the initial mass.

Then use your knowledge of the half life to work out the constant.

See what you can do with that.

ReputationRep:
    (1/2)^((2550-2005)/5000) * 40 = 37.08922186...

37.1g to 3sf

yes you are correct

ReputationRep:
    mk thanks. it just seemed a little high but at least now i have a confirmation. thanks.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.