Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a debate on Tuesday and I can't remember how to start! I'm the first speaker affirmative. I know I have to introduce my speakers and stuff, I just can't remember how to start.

mopo11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mopo11)
    I have a debate on Tuesday and I can't remember how to start! I'm the first speaker affirmative. I know I have to introduce my speakers and stuff, I just can't remember how to start.

mopo11
    What style of debating is the competition? For Bp it's usual IIRC to start by thanking the chair then: 1) Introduce in general terms the motion - we shall be making the case for...; 2) Outline the arguments you will be making - I shall discuss the merits of this motion with regard to...(economic/social/etc benefits); 3) Outline the arguments that your partner will make (in very general terms, don't leave them with nothing to say on it; 4) delve into your own arguments - explore why the proposed motion shou.d be adopted by the house from the pov of those issues you said you would raise.

(Original post by mopo11)
    x
    It depends on who is organizing the debate. If it's not for a competition then I suggest you just cut the crap and get on with the argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    What style of debating is the competition? For Bp it's usual IIRC to start by thanking the chair then: 1) Introduce in general terms the motion - we shall be making the case for...; 2) Outline the arguments you will be making - I shall discuss the merits of this motion with regard to...(economic/social/etc benefits); 3) Outline the arguments that your partner will make (in very general terms, don't leave them with nothing to say on it; 4) delve into your own arguments - explore why the proposed motion shou.d be adopted by the house from the pov of those issues you said you would raise.
    Assuming it's BP do exactly this, though in introducing the motion remember to define exactly the terms of the motion so there is no ambiguity in the case.

Otherwise if it's not BP dispense with the formalities.and just do a quick intro outlining points, say the points (firstly, secondly, thirdly) then summarise.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm no expert, but from what I gather around here the proper approach is to put forward as vague and ambiguous proposal as is possible, quote the bible as evidence, back that up with such rocks as "obviously..." and "anyone can see that...", an in closing you must clarify that you're not a racist or paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    1. Team line / opening remark

2. Say the 'names' of your points (usually 2 or 3) and those of your partner. By point names, I mean a kind of catchy shorthand version of your point. For example, if one argument was that capital punishment is a bad idea because it doesn't function as an effective deterren, this is clearly too long to keep referring to, so you might refer to it as 'the nature of deterrence' or something like that.
    You might also say at this point what your team is going to try to prove more broadly, for example that X should be banned because it causes more harm than good / because it is morally reprehensible / because it is economically inefficient, whatever.

3. If you're in First Proposition, define the motion. This entails giving definitions of any ambiguous terms, but more importantly, saying exactly how you would put your policy into place.

4. Do your first point, followed by your others.

5. Recap by again stating the 'names' of the points you have made, perhaps once again referring to those your partner will make / has made.

6. Make some closing statement. At its briefest, this would usually be 'I beg to propose/oppose'.

Don't get caught up in all the 'Mr chairman, honourable adjudicator, etc.' patter. It takes far too long, sounds amateurish, and adds nothing.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.