Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tired of being called skinny! Am i weak? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i am 6 feet tall and weigh approximately 70kg. I think i look resonably skinny but a lot of people keep telling me it and its getting annoying. So i started to go to the gym and people said that i have gotton bigger but im still skinny. Now im just worried about whether im actually weak-im getting so paranoid:confused: .
    im 16 years old this is what i can do at the gym (dont know the names of the machines :P:
    15kg curls on either arm using dumbells
    60kg bench a couple of reps prefer 50kg 10 reps
    butterfly maching: 70kg
    60 sit ups and pressups max
    30 pull ups and 40 dips
    but my shoulders are crap-90 pounds on the shoulder machines

from this info which isnt a lot am i weak? and should i look bigger than what people say to me...skinny lanky etc...

(been going to gym 3 times a week for a month)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali242)
    i am 6 feet tall and weigh approximately 70kg. I think i look resonably skinny but a lot of people keep telling me it and its getting annoying. So i started to go to the gym and people said that i have gotton bigger but im still skinny. Now im just worried about whether im actually weak-im getting so paranoid:confused: .
    im 16 years old this is what i can do at the gym (dont know the names of the machines :P:
    30 pull ups and 40 dips

from this info which isnt a lot am i weak? and should i look bigger than what people say to me...skinny lanky etc...

Im guessing thats not free weight bench?

Should should do a program like starting strength. As your current one seems to skip out most of the big muscle groups in the body... I see no leg work, no lower back work and little upper back work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Im guessing thats not free weight bench?

Should should do a program like starting strength. As your current one seems to skip out most of the big muscle groups in the body... I see no leg work, no lower back work and little upper back work.
    i do the back etc...dont know the names
    let me describe them:
    the back one :P two bars above my head and i have to pull them down infront of me-150 pounds
    another back one and arms: a bit like the rowing machine, sit straight and pull the bar infront of you-80pounds

what do you mean by free weight?

ReputationRep:
    if you turn sideways can people see you?

ReputationRep:
    Keep up the gym and eat big too.

That was my mistake, I never consumed more than 2500 kCal / day and being a 17 year old male doing all this exercise, that was burnt off in no time! You need to consume more than your BMR + the amount you'll use extra for the strenuous exercise, but make sure it's from healthy sources, binging on MacDonalds will do more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what others think? They're probably not perfect either so start criticising their appearance.

As long as your content m8, there is no need for change - unless it could cause ill-health ofc.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by free weight?
    Barbells. When you bench, is it a bench machine or a standard bench press with a barbell?

Anyway ... I wouldn't say you're weak. Someone mentioned on here a while back that apparently 60kg bench is around the 1rm for the average untrained man so you're probably about average or a bit above average. That said, you don't squat or deadlift it seems, so I personally find it unlikely that you're especially strong.

Regardless, if you want to get bigger, you have to lift heavier weights than you are now. Get on a good routine like Starting Strength or WS4SB.

ReputationRep:
    yup i use barbell
    60 for an average man but what age is a man lol im 16 :P

ReputationRep:
    If you're satisfied with yourself, get into martial arts and then kick their ass.

ReputationRep:
    yup i use barbell
    60 for an average man but what age is a man lol im 16 :P
    It has been said to you already, I just wanted emphasise it a bit more. Do a solid beginner routine that includes barbells and big heavy compound lifts.

I would recommend Starting Strength, but there are others too. Check here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

You are at about the perfect age for this sort of routine. It will change your life.

ReputationRep:
    same happens to me. but i dont care too much. I'm healthy so that's good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    thanks people

ReputationRep:
    30 pull ups and 40 dips

Erm...?

ReputationRep:
    Get some protien shakes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.