Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Renner)
    Did I say immigrants should leave, no. All I ask is that they do not change our ways. ....
    Can I ask what 'our' ways are though? Am I, being white and born in England, allowed to deviate from 'our ways'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    It depends entirely on which type of European. For example, an Italian-American would be permitted to return to Italy by means of a voluntary resettlement scheme, whereas for a German - although they could leave - they'd most probably be part of the same Anglo-Saxon genome. Don't be pedantic - I only cited 'European' so as to stop people saying "it wasn't only the British who comprise Americans of European descent".
    So we can have Germans and Scandinavian people in Britain too? I'm not being pedantic, I'm just trying to work my way around these confused social policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Very well. Nothing wrong with wanting to stop illegal immigration, and at it's current rate extreme measures will have to be taken.

Lives would be saved rather than killed with that policy- think how many die in the terrible conditions they endure on the boats on their way over. By going just off the shores of Africa,sinking the ships and throwing them liferafts you prevent the conditions they endure on the journey and show them there is no way they will reach the shores of Europe.
    What utter bullsh*t.

You do realise that many illegal immigrants arrive on cargo ships?
    Think before you write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    One or two? How amusing. If you find it so abhorrent to live beside a relatively large number of immigrants then I suggest you become more tolerant. Just because two people have two different concepts of culture doesn't mean they can't live side-by-side.
    Britishness. I have a passport, that's all that matters to me about being British. I am English, and inhabitant of the Greater World. I'm not going to believe being English gives me the right to say that anybody who isn't strictly English should **** off back to their own country. Death to "British" culture arrived long ago, way before the arrival of mass immigration; the metamorphosis from arbiters of nations into a consumer culture with no real sense of its own purpose. A house divided against itself which builds idols in the image of football heroes but which has neither visions nor dreams to add. Britishness is just a convenience. It is primarily an invention for the benefit of incomers, so that they feel they belong.
    Why should I tolerate people who conflict with my interests, and follow an alien religion that wants to kill me? No matter what the media wants you to believe, 'tolerance' is not an habitually British trait. If your cultural identity is reduced to a piece of paper then you barely deserve to have it. It's funny that you acknowledge you are 'English' when you oppose any citation of the English ethnic genome (which is, along with English culture, what effectively comprises 'Englishness'). For the millionth time, there's nothing immoral about encouraging immigrants who conflict with my interests to be permitted onto a voluntary resettlement scheme. And yes, British culture has been diluted for many reasons, but you can't just do what you're doing and put it entirely down to globalisation and the consumer culture. The latter and British culture are, in my view, mutually exclusive anyway. It's the way it's been handled that is the biggest problem. The rise of fundamentalist Islam, and the mongrelisation of the British way of life is an ominous prospect. If you think it's just going to remain in a state of blind secularism you're truly deluded.

(Original post by 35mm_)
    See above. As I've said, if you can't make your own identity without relying on those with a similar skin colour to make you feel as though you "belong" then you're a pretty sad human being. Get real.
    It depends entirely on what identity you are talking about. I feel a personal identity, but I also feel an identity among other people who are similar to me, on a local and national level. I don't need to abandon any pride in a common culture to feel a strong sense of individual identity. Your points are logically bankrupt I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    So we can have Germans and Scandinavian people in Britain too? I'm not being pedantic, I'm just trying to work my way around these confused social policies.
    We can have anyone in Britain who are already here. I'm not talking about kicking anybody out. I wouldn't accept immigration from anywhere; Germany, Scandanavia, Iraq, Congo, Sudan, Nigeria, wherever. Britain's full; shut the doors.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I tolerate people who conflict with my interests, and follow an alien religion that wants to kill me?
    Oh, do be quiet. Who wants to kill you? I'll hazard a guess, Muslims? You're pathetic if you truly believe what you're saying here. Just because two people have different beliefs doesn't mean they can't get on. Most of my friends don't agree with me, does this mean we shouldn't be friends? I'm Christian (by definition), but I have many, many, Muslim friends, should this not be happening?
    It depends entirely on what identity you are talking about. I feel a personal identity, but I also feel an identity among other people who are similar to me, on a local and national level. I don't need to abandon any pride in a common culture to feel a strong sense of individual identity. Your points are logically bankrupt I'm afraid.
    How cute. Well, you go ahead and feel like pals with everybody else who is "British", but leave me out of your kinship group, I don't like to be associated with such shortsighted idiots

p.s. I just noticed there's now a BNP group trying to form on TSR, why don't you join them? They seem more appropriate than the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    We can have anyone in Britain who are already here. I'm not talking about kicking anybody out. I wouldn't accept immigration from anywhere; Germany, Scandanavia, Iraq, Congo, Sudan, Nigeria, wherever. Britain's full; shut the doors.
    Would emigration (of ethnically British people) be stopped too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    What utter bullsh*t.

You do realise that many illegal immigrants arrive on cargo ships?
    Think before you write.
    Nothing wrong with the policy nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Oh, do be quiet. Who wants to kill you? I'll hazard a guess, Muslims? You're pathetic if you truly believe what you're saying here. Just because two people have different beliefs doesn't mean they can't get on. Most of my friends don't agree with me, does this mean we shouldn't be friends? I'm Christian (by definition), but I have many, many, Muslim friends, should this not be happening?
    Nobody is truly a friend of a Muslim. All the supposed friendship is simply COMMUNIST MEDIA BIAS

:ninja:

Presumably the BNP would also, as well as kicking out (sorry, asking for the departure of) non-white people, be placing bans on any culture that didn't fit their fantasy of morris-dancing and folk-music. Out with the curries, out with the jazz and the hip-hop, out with anything that isn't flag-waving, fish and chips and just plain old 'being white in the company of white people' lol

ReputationRep:
    He could say what he likes but he and his cronies will always be transparent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    It's alright for you to look at isolated cases where the better parallel is present; but if you ignore the negatives you're, well, by definition, being ignorant. You can be friends with individuals all you like; but when the collective is being permeated by extremist poison of radical imams who overtly promote Al Qaeda in their mosques, I'll be wary of the collective.

(Original post by 35mm_)
    p.s. I just noticed there's now a BNP group trying to form on TSR, why don't you join them? They seem more appropriate than the Tories.
    Maybe because I'm not a BNP supporter, as much as I'd describe myself as a minor sympathiser.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright for you to look at isolated cases where the better parallel is present; but if you ignore the negatives you're, well, by definition, being ignorant. You can be friends with individuals all you like; but when the collective is being permeated by extremist poison of radical imams who overtly promote Al Qaeda in their mosques, I'll be wary of the collective.
    Islamic extremists are, by and large, the minority. They never really get far. So I wouldn't worry, you aren't going to be killed

ReputationRep:
    Why do people always concentrate on Islamic extemists, though? Every single religion in the world has extremism, Christianity has some of the worst. NB, do you want to deport Christian extremists too, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Yet Griffin said on the program this morning he doesn’t have a problem with immigrants "like Sir Trevor" who come here, accept British values and don’t try to change our ways. It would be great if he was telling the truth as it would give us a party with a realistic and popular immigration view but I'm not sure if he can be trusted and deep down he wants them all out.
    The State should decide what Britishness is, like a hegemonistic assimilationist? Criminals get put through the judicial system, regardless of their race. That's all we need. There's really no need for governments to dictate cultural norms. Individuals choose their own lifestyles (which is becoming increasingly relaxed and liberal with respect to our views towards drugs and homosexuality and house husbands...) You'll probably find that most ethnic minorities fit nicely into a tolerant Britain. If you can't tolerate them, then fine: don't let them on your property. But the world doesn't stop turning just for you m'fraid. People are already allowed to go back to their country (much like many Brits travel to and from Spain, buying and selling property).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Islamic extremists are, by and large, the minority. They never really get far. So I wouldn't worry, you aren't going to be killed
    A minority today, but with the growth of Islamic influence, they could potentially gain a stranglehold over young Muslim individuals. The 7/7 bombers were homegrown; a recent statistic indicated 13% of British Muslims between 18 and 24 sympathising with the bombers. When this poison is being spread throughout the Islamic community, I have little doubt that extremism will continue to flourish into potentially cataclysmic results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    "Not doable" is not the same as "Not desirable."
    This. (Although I'm sure it's been this'd already)

In fact the subtext of "not doable" is "we'd still really, really like it to happen."

A minority today, but with the growth of Islamic influence, they could potentially gain a stranglehold over young Muslim individuals. The 7/7 bombers were homegrown; a recent statistic indicated 13% of British Muslims between 18 and 24 sympathising with the bombers. When this poison is being spread throughout the Islamic community, I have little doubt that extremism will continue to flourish into potentially cataclysmic results.
    What a fraud. Are you talking about the statistic which had 13% of young British Muslims suggesting that they 'understood' the motives? We've pulled you up on that one already. I'm not a Muslim and even I think I 'understand' what their motives were, doesn't mean I agree with them. Poison is the racism of the BNP cynically attacking Muslims as part of their white-nationalist/'racial brotherhood'/English-genome (whatever that is) fantasy. It used to be the Jews of course, and I don't think they've been forgotten either.

ReputationRep:
    A minority today, but with the growth of Islamic influence, they could potentially gain a stranglehold over young Muslim individuals. The 7/7 bombers were homegrown; a recent statistic indicated 13% of British Muslims between 18 and 24 sympathising with the bombers.
    Get your facts correct, please. They didn't "sympathise" with them, but "understood". There's a huge difference. Don't spread lies, you're as bad as extremists themselves.
    When this poison is being spread throughout the Islamic community, I have little doubt that extremism will continue to flourish into potentially cataclysmic results.
    Every single one of my Muslim friends abhores extremism.

I'd love to sit here and continue to discuss why hating living next to those who aren't of a similar race to you is wrong, but the weather is lovely, I think I'll go and read a book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Get your facts correct, please. They didn't "sympathise" with them, but "understood". There's a huge difference. Don't spread lies, you're as bad as extremists themselves.

Every single one of my Muslim friends abhores extremism.

I'd love to sit here and continue to discuss why hating living next to those who aren't of a similar race to you is wrong, but the weather is lovely, I think I'll go and read a book
    The bit in bold proves nothing. I'm not disagreeing with you, but surely providing random statements with no statistics is exactly what people hate the BNP for... I could just as easily say, "I know Muslims who support extremism. Yay, BNP ftw" but that would be silly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.