Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've just finished my first year of Psychology at Loughborough University and got 65% (a 2.1)
    I recently switched to a sandwich course for a year out doing a placement.
    I know i don't have to start applying till September ish but want to do some research into it this summer.
    I'm just looking for some ideas of where/what i could apply for. I'm interested in criminology/young offenders type thing but really don't know what part specifically.
    I remember the talk i went to on the open day for my uni and someone said that a student got a placement in the MI5 etc, which sounds interesting.
    Another issue is whether it is paid or not...i've heard that if its not paid you still get your grant etc from the government, is that true?
    I'd also love to do a placement abroad like in America or Canada if it was well paid.

I just generally need some ideas of where to start looking for placements cuz i wanna get a good one even if it means looking early!!

ReputationRep:
    It almost certainly won't be paid, but you'll probably get around 1/4th of your normal student loan and you will probably be expected to pay about 25-50% of your normal tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    If you looking for forensic settings try applying to HMS Prisons as they typically have psychologists about. In general dont feel limited by what your uni has on offer for placements, try sending letters out to facilities that offer what you may specifically want and you may get lucky as i did.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 13, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.