Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello

i have recently finished my gcse's and am planning to avoid going to sixth form and doing a-levels and doing a national diploma/btec with an a-level on the side at a college instead as i believe it is the best option for me. However it would mean i would have an extra hour of travel in the morning and evening and i would be leaving all my friends who are staying at sixth form. I am also getting a lot of prejudice from parents/relatives/older people in general about it saying "its not the right path", "its not academic enough", "it will be harder to get into uni/employment" are they right? I am really confused now because i was so sure before but now seriously taking into account other peoples views i dont know if i would regret taking a btec over a-levels.

Can you tell me what your routes are and how you feel?

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it!

ReputationRep:
    I left my friends to go to a different sixth form, and haven't regretted it.
    The sixth form I'm at now is just over 10 miles away from where I live, but I consider the travelling worth it.

Also, just remember that it's no big deal to change college if you're unhappy now that you'll be in voluntary education!

As for your other points, sorry I'm not really in a position to help on them.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna go to a top uni then A-levels are almost expected. However if you don't want to go to uni, then they're not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABS II)
    hello

i have recently finished my gcse's and am planning to avoid going to sixth form and doing a-levels and doing a national diploma/btec with an a-level on the side at a college instead as i believe it is the best option for me. However it would mean i would have an extra hour of travel in the morning and evening and i would be leaving all my friends who are staying at sixth form. I am also getting a lot of prejudice from parents/relatives/older people in general about it saying "its not the right path", "its not academic enough", "it will be harder to get into uni/employment" are they right? I am really confused now because i was so sure before but now seriously taking into account other peoples views i dont know if i would regret taking a btec over a-levels.

Can you tell me what your routes are and how you feel?
    Do you plan on going to uni? if so, do a-levels. If not, maybe dont do them, but they are still regarded a lot better than diplomas/btec

ReputationRep:
    yeah i am intending to go to uni
    i have looked at entry requirements and most do accept btecs

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    If you wanna go to a top uni then A-levels are almost expected. However if you don't want to go to uni, then they're not really.
    Almost expected? If your going to a top Uni they'll want A levels...or IB..or something equivalent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Almost expected? If your going to a top Uni they'll want A levels...or IB..or something equivalent...
    OK, not everyone does A-levels, but some form of sixth form qualification like IB, Pre-U etc.

Not all unis accept BTECs.

ReputationRep:
    Mabe you could be more suited to the IB?

ReputationRep:
    What BTEC are you thinking of doing and what would you like to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    What BTEC are you thinking of doing and what would you like to study?
    media print and publishing national diploma and a geography a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    Mabe you could be more suited to the IB?
    whats an IB?

ReputationRep:
    Jeez at least tell us what you plan on doing in the future. If you say doctor is not a great plan, if you say a bum then go for it :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Most universities accept BTECs, very few do not. E.g. for Law quite a few accept DDD as an alternative to AAA at A level. Do whatever you think is right for you. Your A level on the side will certainly help you. The BTEC subject which you are doing will play a part also. Most people on these forums are very misinformed about BTECs so it's probably not the best place to ask, you're probably better off seeing a careers advisor. You can PM me with any specific questions if you like ... I've just completed a BTEC ND alongside 2 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    media print and publishing national diploma and a geography a level
    If you checked the entry requirements for the subject you want to study at the uni you want to study at, and they accept it - then sure, why not.

It's only a problem if you change your mind later and want to do something completely different. In that case you'd probably be better off with a set of A-Levels.

A-Level subjects related to your current choice could be English Lang/Lit, Media Studies, Art or ICT, Sociology, Psychology, History, Geography, maybe Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cconstant)
    Jeez at least tell us what you plan on doing in the future. If you say doctor is not a great plan, if you say a bum then go for it :gthumb:
    ideally i would like to work in a magazine, cliche i know. surely doing something practical pays off more in that industry than something academic?

ReputationRep:
    It usually depends on what degree you want to do and what uni you want to go to. If you want to do a degree where a practical element is a requirement (and you don't learn it at A-Level) then do a BTEC, but if you want to do a theory heavy degree then take the A-Levels, as they will set you up better

ReputationRep:
    BTECs are much less valued. Take A-levels

ReputationRep:
    whats an IB?
    IB = International Baccalaureate

At the end of the day do what you want to do and not what other people want you to do. All I say is to thoroughly research potential universities you could be interested in and see what they ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.