Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When my elbow is at a 90 degree angle, there is a gap of an inch between my antecubital and my flexed bicep. Is this normal?

I acknowledge that it may be a result of poor form in my early gym days, but just wondered if anyone else has noticed something similar.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same gap.

ReputationRep:
    As do I. Pretty sure it's normal and genetics determines the size of the gap.

ReputationRep:
    If your antecubital is the inside of your elbow, I have the same gap.

ReputationRep:
    Insertion points

how far/close your muscle connects to the tendon

just genetics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    Insertion points

how far/close your muscle connects to the tendon

just genetics
    What would be beneficial? Do bodybuilders tend to have larger or smaller insertion points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DriftingBore)
    What would be beneficial? Do bodybuilders tend to have larger or smaller insertion points?
    generally long

so closer to the joint

on biceps, you get a smaller peak but they look more awesome when arms are straight

calves are another one, like my calves connect very far away from the ankle

so if someone had same sized calves as me, but their muscle attached nearer to the ankle it just look bigger overall

but it's genetically... some BB'ers have some parts long, some short

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    generally long

so closer to the joint

on biceps, you get a smaller peak but they look more awesome when arms are straight

calves are another one, like my calves connect very far away from the ankle

so if someone had same sized calves as me, but their muscle attached nearer to the ankle it just look bigger overall

but it's genetically... some BB'ers have some parts long, some short
    cool, thanks for that.

i've always been a bit annoyed by biceps when straight: they look really tiny compared to when contracted. now i see its cos my insertion point is pretty far from my elbow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DriftingBore)
    cool, thanks for that.

i've always been a bit annoyed by biceps when straight: they look really tiny compared to when contracted. now i see its cos my insertion point is pretty far from my elbow.
    Yer but thats because the bicep is the muscle in the body that grows the most when flexed :eyeball: i think it's like up to 40% or something. whereas you don't get that with other muscles. if the pecs grew by 80% or something, we'd all flex those instead of our bi's.

And yer insertion points xD

Whats the other end called i forgot?

ReputationRep:
    I think I read somewhere that the size of the gap and you're potential for arm growth were linked. It said something like the shorter the gap the easier it is for you to increase the bicep size.

I think it might have been in Flex.

Anyone else read anything similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    Yer but thats because the bicep is the muscle in the body that grows the most when flexed :eyeball: i think it's like up to 40% or something. whereas you don't get that with other muscles. if the pecs grew by 80% or something, we'd all flex those instead of our bi's.

And yer insertion points xD

yeah, i get that, its just that cos im tall and have long arms my biceps look especially skinny when my arm is straight. they are 15 inches when flexed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Insertion points as Adonis has already said. Generally, bodybuilders want low insertion points because I have heard it allows for further growth potential, or something, and it just looks better. However, this is not true for the biceps as a low insertion point means a weak peak. Look at Kevin Levrone, for example; he has no peak and low biceps insertion points.

It's genetics and you can't change it. It's no big deal either unless you want to compete at a high level in bodybuilding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    Origin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Origin.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    just cos he stood out as having really short insertion points

now relaxed, his bi's wouldn't look great

but he has awesome peaks

so pro's and con's of both

I'm glad I have relatively long insertion points

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.