Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    White parents are pulling their children out of schools where they are outnumbered by ethnic-minority pupils, according to a report that shows increasing segregation in Britain.

Middle-class parents — who are usually white — were removing children from schools with growing populations of ethnic minorities because they didn’t want them to stand out, the authors of the report said. “Despite the fact that most people we spoke to in focus groups wanted their children to have a mixed education, parental choice tended to push people to what they saw as the safe option, where children with similar backgrounds went."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6682886.ece
    After one hundred thousand years of human experience, war and death, the planet was divided into countries of different ethnic groups. Now multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    Apartheid was a South African Policy - so your title is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually quite interesting, although no doubt people would see it as being racist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kickflip)
    After one hundred thousand years of human experience, war and death, the planet was divided into countries of different ethnic groups. Now multiculturalism.

Apartheid - any system or practice that separates people according to race, caste, etc

* I wouldn't say your news piece exihibits s a system at work. All it show is certain parents making an individual choice on their children's schooling. Then again, I don't know how widespread these type of considerations are amongst 'middle class' whites.

I went to school in Inner London. I wouldn't say it was a crap school, in fact it was pretty good and yes, there was a high proportion of ethnic minorities (40%). However there were never issues of 'race wars' or 'racial tension' - it wasn't a utopia but issues of race were never really that overt.

ReputationRep:
    That'll likely always happen all over the world. Can be called racism, but heck, everyone's minutely racist inside. Human nature.

Btw, I'm from a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Racism can also go both ways - some of the inner city schools, especially in a place such as birmingham...well, very few white kids would want to be at them. I don't blame the parents for taking their kids out.

Yes we want multiculturalism, and in a dream world we can all mix happily. Because why not? We're all equal, all have the same right to be here etc etc, but at the end of the day, our history won't leave us alone, and amongst the young, racial discrimination is HUGE and the bullying is horrific.
    They're not reverting to an aparteid, paretns are simply trying to remove their children from somewhere where a lot of bullying probably takes place. Of course a few are going to be racist and 'I don't want my kids mixing with that sort' because those kind of ignorant people will always exist, but the majority aren't. Those white kids in the mainly ethnic schools will face the same sort of behaviour as the ethnic kids do in the majoritively white schools.

Stop trying to make out the middle class white people as ignorant racists, please.

ReputationRep:
    What is happening in some areas is nothing short of ethnic cleansing against the native population.

ReputationRep:
    The number of schools with a huge ethnic minority (majority :P) is not very large, I'd imagine. It seems that the parents are in favour of mixed education as long as there are a 'safe' (read: token few) number of brown people.

What is happening in some areas is nothing short of ethnic cleansing against the native population.
    A+++++ Would laugh again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    A+++++ Would laugh again
    The population is 65,726, as of 2008.[15] The median age for males is 41 years and for females is 43 years. The population growth rate is 0.228% with 8.57 births/1,000 population, 10.09 deaths/1,000 population, and 3.8 migrant(s)/1,000 population.
    For such a staunch defender of the multi-cultural experiment, you seem awfully determined to live somewhere with a homogenous population. I recommend you go and live in Peckham in London, or Handsworth in Birmingham, and see your wonderful liberal experiment in full force.

ReputationRep:
    The number of schools with a huge ethnic minority (majority :P) is not very large, I'd imagine.
    In the Channel Islands I'm sure it isn't, in Tower Hamlets, Brent or Lambeth it's a different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    For such a staunch defender of the multi-cultural experiment, you seem awfully determined to live somewhere with a homogenous population. I recommend you go and live in Peckham in London, or Handsworth in Birmingham, and see your wonderful liberal experiment in full force.
    This

I lived in Jersey for 8 years and it's typical of the out-of-touch 'Rot Front' "viva la revolucion" kids with too much time on their hands to not actually understand the damages of multiculturalism. Where they're lucky to see one black face a day and are spoonfed with MTV/KISS positive parallels of cultural diversity, reality is clearly eluding them. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    This

I lived in Jersey for 8 years and it's typical of the out-of-touch 'Rot Front' "viva la revolucion" kids with too much time on their hands to not actually understand the damages of multiculturalism. Where they're lucky to see one black face a day and are spoonfed with MTV/KISS positive parallels of cultural diversity, reality is clearly eluding them. :teeth:
    And I'm sure if they saw more black faces every day they'd turn into flag wavers like yourself. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    And I'm sure if they saw more black faces every day they'd turn into flag wavers like yourself. :rolleyes:
    That wasn't my point. :rolleyes: I have nothing against blacks.

ReputationRep:
    "During the next two terms pupils from 15 to 20 Somali families joined"

That must have been 500 children :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    And this is the result of too much immigration - segregation. Is this really the Britain of the future that we want? One area of town with all Muslim schools/One all white? One area with all Indian schools, one all Black? Because that's whats happening at the moment and it won't just magically go away.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't lived in Guernsey my entire life, having lived in Stevenage for most of it. It's not entirely unexpected, you've just jumped on whatever minuscule evidence you can and have taken wild assumptions out of hand, something I have come to associate with BNP supporters. Can we talk like big boys again now or would you like to continue the typical bigot rhetoric of making outrageous claims backed by the weakest of evidence?

In before something about liberals

(Original post by LifeFreedom13)
    Apartheid - any system or practice that separates people according to race, caste, etc

* I wouldn't say your news piece exihibits s a system at work. All it show is certain parents making an individual choice on their children's schooling. Then again, I don't know how widespread these type of considerations are amongst 'middle class' whites.

I went to school in Inner London. I wouldn't say it was a crap school, in fact it was pretty good and yes, there was a high proportion of ethnic minorities (40%). However there were never issues of 'race wars' or 'racial tension' - it wasn't a utopia but issues of race were never really that overt.
    The education 'system' doesn't separate...it is the parents who do the separating for the reasons they give.

Historically, their children were identified by their sameness (colour of skin) and now they're identified by their difference.

So what...black kids were in that position for very many years.

It's part of the human condition. Unpleasant, but that's what we can be as humans.

ReputationRep:
    What do these parents think occur in the real world? They'll have to mingle eventually.

ReputationRep:
    cant have my children going to school with..... browns!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't lived in Guernsey my entire life, having lived in Stevenage for most of it. It's not entirely unexpected, you've just jumped on whatever minuscule evidence you can and have taken wild assumptions out of hand, something I have come to associate with BNP supporters. Can we talk like big boys again now or would you like to continue the typical bigot rhetoric of making outrageous claims backed by the weakest of evidence?

In before something about liberals
    Why move to Guernsey? It's so hideously white and homogenous there!

I'm sure the residents of Handsworth and Peckham would be more than happy to meet you, and you might even meet a real life black person!

While you are there you can help keep a few illegal immigrants off the radar aswell, because they are ever so deserving of our undying love,support and help,aren't they?

/sarcasm off

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.