Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate to be a minority in a school so I'd probably ask my parents to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I spent effectively half my time in the squallor of the Midlands; so I had a chance to perceive both worlds.
    Fair enough. It's just that squalor isn't something I would naturally associate with someone who went to those schools (even if one of them is state), so I thought I'd ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harr)
    Fair enough. It's just that squalor isn't something I would naturally associate with someone who went to those schools (even if one of them is state), so I thought I'd ask.
    Do you know me? :holmes: (PM if so) :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I am honestly confused. Has no one on TSR experienced the benefits of multiculturalism? Even the Londoners here seem against it!

I take it people wouldn't mind or change university if they were planning to go somewhere with a high proportion of foreign students at degree level? The difference being they will not mug/knife/sell you drugs because they are normally wealthy and well educated. This is an issue of poverty, not race. If the ethnic areas became poor white areas, they would still be just as bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    For such a staunch defender of the multi-cultural experiment, you seem awfully determined to live somewhere with a homogenous population. I recommend you go and live in Peckham in London, or Handsworth in Birmingham, and see your wonderful liberal experiment in full force.
    I've gone to school in Islington (lots of diversity) and in rural Hertfordshire (virtually no diversity). Can't say it's mattered one jot to me as a Persian chap when I was one of the few ethnic people in my secondary school. And by few, I mean the number of ethnics in my year could be counted on one hand. I never felt intimidated by the English kids or uncomfortable that no one else was Persian.

I've got on well in inner city London and Hertfordshire and I remain a staunch supporter of the "wonderful liberal experiment" :top:

These parents who are worried about their kids "standing out" need to get some perspective, they're setting their kids up to become superficial cowards. Who honestly cares if you stand out cause of your skin colour/background? That shouldn't matter in this day and age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I've gone to school in Islington (lots of diversity) and in rural Hertfordshire (virtually no diversity). Can't say it's mattered one jot to me as a Persian chap when I was one of the few ethnic people in my secondary school. And by few, I mean the number of ethnics in my year could be counted on one hand. I never felt intimidated by the English kids or uncomfortable that no one else was Persian.

I've got on well in inner city London and Hertfordshire and I remain a staunch supporter of the "wonderful liberal experiment" :top:

These parents who are worried about their kids "standing out" need to get some perspective, they're setting their kids up to become superficial cowards. Who honestly cares if you stand out cause of your skin colour/background? That shouldn't matter in this day and age.
    As a Persian in Hertfordshire I can't imagine you would suffer any kind of intimidation- the establishment bends over backwards to accommodate minorities ( as long as they aren't British) in these situations- it has been drilled into those children you were amongst from an early age that racism is not acceptable and to treat everybody equally. Whilst I am not necessarily arguing this is a bad thing ( racial conflict in these situations is obviously not a good thing, and as we are all together efforts should be made to get along), however no effort is made to combat the increasing problem of whites being the minority in certain situations- and the people they find themselves amongst have a completely different way of life which hasn't been subject to liberal brainwashing- so naturally they find themselves mistreated. As a Persian you benefit in both situations- you can fit in amongst the white majority areas due to a liberal idealogy, and you can fit in amongst more ethnic areas due to your own ethnicity. However, for white people this is not the case- a white person in Islington could probably tell us a different story.

I would also like to point out as a Persian you would most likely be in favour of the multi-cultural experiment,having most likely benefited from it.

ReputationRep:
    As a Persian in Hertfordshire I can't imagine you would suffer any kind of intimidation- the establishment bends over backwards to accommodate minorities ( as long as they aren't British) in these situations- it has been drilled into those children you were amongst from an early age that racism is not acceptable and to treat everybody equally. Whilst I am not necessarily arguing this is a bad thing ( racial conflict in these situations is obviously not a good thing, and as we are all together efforts should be made to get along),
    No, my point was however, I have the experience of being someone who was surrounded by people from other ethnicities (in this case 99% white British). It didn't bother me one bit. I don't see why parents of White British children should let it bother them if their child's class is 25% Black, 25% Bengali, 25% Polish and only 25% White. It didn't bother me, I made plenty of friends and had a good time at school even though I was one of the "minority".

however no effort is made to combat the increasing problem of whites being the minority in certain situations- and the people they find themselves amongst have a completely different way of life which hasn't been subject to liberal brainwashing- so naturally they find themselves mistreated.
    "Mistreated". What exactly have the big bad ethnic kids done to the poor white people then?

As a Persian you benefit in both situations- you can fit in amongst the white majority areas due to a liberal idealogy, and you can fit in amongst more ethnic areas due to your own ethnicity. However, for white people this is not the case- a white person in Islington could probably tell us a different story.
    You what? Ethnics are all the same now are they? :confused: I don't think I'd find it any easier to "fit in" with a Chinese person because my family are from, erm, Iran.

Besides, my life is run on a decidedly colour blind basis, I don't care if someone is black, white or rainbow coloured, I'd get on with them exactly the same. This is not due to me being Iranian. I know plenty of Iranians who only stick together, and some who actively avoid other Iranians. It's about my personality: I genuinely don't give a damn about skin colour or ethnicity.

Also: I am white myself, but if you mean White British by ethnicity, my White British classmates in Islington had no problems with sharing a school with people from other ethnicities and cultures. We all got on fine actually.

I would also like to point out as a Persian you would most likely be in favour of the multi-cultural experiment,having most likely benefited from it.
    The only benefit I can think of is that it means people can move here and live their life and raise their children without skin colour being an issue any longer. I imagine that's fine with most people in this country, regardless of their skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: ''Whites should never be a minority!! how dare those foreigns outnumber us in OUR country, how dare they seek an education, its disgusting if they want to go to school they shouldnt go to the nearest one they should take it upon themselve to equally distribute so we can have a token ethnic person in all classes, then I can make friends with him and pretend not to be a bigot...but not real friends, after all he is different from us''

:rolleyes: Idiots.

Honestly, what the hell does it matter if there are more ethnic people than whites, they are people not a voracious pack of wolves out to get white children. I hate the middle classes grrrrr

ReputationRep:
    No, my point was however, I have the experience of being someone who was surrounded by people from other ethnicities (in this case 99% white British). It didn't bother me one bit. I don't see why parents of White British children should let it bother them if their child's class is 25% Black, 25% Bengali, 25% Polish and only 25% White. It didn't bother me, I made plenty of friends and had a good time at school even though I was one of the "minority".
    My point was that,these days, a minority ethnic group surrounded by British people is very unlikely to be a victim of racism or even feel uncomfortable. Especially amongst schoolchildren. I don't feel this extends to when British are the minority, due to the nature of the white apologetics culture we have created, and the often non welcoming mindset of minority groups who do not wish to integrate.

"Mistreated". What exactly have the big bad ethnic kids done to the poor white people then?
    I think being in a minority as an ethnically British person is a very awkward situation to be in these days, and the attitudes of many third world immigrants could lead to racist behaviour being displayed.

You what? Ethnics are all the same now are they? :confused: I don't think I'd find it any easier to "fit in" with a Chinese person because my family are from, erm, Iran.
    The more "diverse" areas in the country are seeing waves of "white flight", not "Persian flight" or "Chinese flight". Obviously, this is because the natives are racist and not because of any underlying social problems that come from third world immigration :rolleyes:.

Besides, my life is run on a decidedly colour blind basis, I don't care if someone is black, white or rainbow coloured, I'd get on with them exactly the same. This is not due to me being Iranian. I know plenty of Iranians who only stick together, and some who actively avoid other Iranians. It's about my personality: I genuinely don't give a damn about skin colour or ethnicity.
    As do I- I would never be so narrow-minded to judge an individual solely on the basis of their skin colour. However, I think that attitude is not the dominant one from certain immigrant communities- hence the ghettos they are beginning to create for themselves.

Also: I am white myself, but if you mean White British by ethnicity, my White British classmates in Islington had no problems with sharing a school with people from other ethnicities and cultures. We all got on fine actually.
    An individual case that may or may not reflect everywhere else. You can't pretend anti-white racism isn't a problem, even if you want to say that it isn't a very big one.

The only benefit I can think of is that it means people can move here and live their life and raise their children without skin colour being an issue any longer. I imagine that's fine with most people in this country, regardless of their skin colour.
    You personally have benefited from a multi-cultural society I would imagine, so it puts you in a position of considerable bias.

ReputationRep:
    When your majority ethnic child is a minority in a minority-dominated school, it's a good idea to get them out of there if you want them to have a good education free from reverse discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    You personally have benefited from a multi-cultural society I would imagine, so it puts you in a position of considerable bias.
    Yes because its actually a gift we have given, he should feel damn lucky that we have taken it upon ourselves to give him requal rights and a chance to live here without discrimination.

:rolleyes:

Are you being serious? or do you honestly think that multiculturalism has given him some kind of special advantage over everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    My point was that,these days, a minority ethnic group surrounded by British people is very unlikely to be a victim of racism or even feel uncomfortable. Especially amongst schoolchildren. I don't feel this extends to when British are the minority, due to the nature of the white apologetics culture we have created, and the often non welcoming mindset of minority groups who do not wish to integrate.
    Why? Do you have tangible evidence to show a widespread, recurring problem to the effect that white children are being consistently targetted due to anti racism?

I think being in a minority as an ethnically British person is a very awkward situation to be in these days, and the attitudes of many third world immigrants could lead to racist behaviour being displayed.
    Well do remember that the majority of children from non white backgrounds in schools are not immigrants. Most of them have grown up here, and so are not alien to the idea of white people or indeed British culture. I myself am perfectly comfortable with British culture, or western pursuits, e.g. going down the Pub as I am with my Persian culture. Most of my friends who are from a non white background are much the same.

The more "diverse" areas in the country are seeing waves of "white flight", not "Persian flight" or "Chinese flight". Obviously, this is because the natives are racist and not because of any underlying social problems that come from third world immigration .
    Of course not. It's not that simple, often white British people are racist, and often non whites are. I don't think it's fair to blame it on any one group totally. I do think however that often the media paints an unrealistic and undesirable picture of ethnic minorities that makes parents believe schools with large numbers of ethnics are areas where white children go to die. Which is patent nonsense as most white and non white children get on fine.

The only "benefit" I've gained is being able to have the same rights as someone who's white British by heritage. I haven't won the lottery you know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    Yes because its actually a gift we have given, he should feel damn lucky that we have taken it upon ourselves to give him requal rights and a chance to live here without discrimination.

:rolleyes:

Are you being serious? or do you honestly think that multiculturalism has given him some kind of special advantage over everyone else?
    As a person who benefits from the multi-cultural environment, it is only natural he will be in favour of it.

ReputationRep:
    As a person who benefits from the multi-cultural environment, it is only natural he will be in favour of it.
    There is no bloody benefit, I don't get a tax rebate on account of being a White Other on an application form you know.

The only benefit is to be treated for who I am, as opposed to what my heritage is. If I were the most ethnically English person in the UK, I'd still support that because I believe people should be judged on their individual merits, and not pre judged due to their ethnicity.

So frankly, even if I was Prince Charles, I'd still support multiculturalism, as people from other backgrounds don't bother me in the slightest. That belief is due to my personality not because I'm biased due to my heritage.

ReputationRep:

What are these mysterious benefits you speak of? You mean the benefits of not being a second class citizens, of not being discriminated against, you see I thought those were intrinsic and all people had them...but apparently according to you they are just for whites.......

ReputationRep:
    There is no bloody benefit, I don't get a tax rebate on account of being a White Other on an application form you know.

The only benefit is to be treated for who I am, as opposed to what my heritage is. If I were the most ethnically English person in the UK, I'd still support that because I believe people should be judged on their individual merits, and not pre judged due to their ethnicity.

So frankly, even if I was Prince Charles, I'd still support multiculturalism, as people from other backgrounds don't bother me in the slightest. That belief is due to my personality not because I'm biased due to my heritage.
    The irony is that Prince Charles is descended from the House of Hanover, and thus is not particularly British in origin at all.

We even import our monarchy from abroad, how's that for multiculturalism?

On another note, I have friends from Mexico, India, Poland, Italy, Argentina, Hungary, Australia and Sudan, in addition to my friends who are British, though many of those "British" friends are of mixed heritage, whether it is being part Irish, part French or whatever. And I think they've integrated fine. Far better than the white nationalist idiots who want form of ethnic Britishness which almost certainly never existed.

Can we start deporting BNP supporters? I don't think they're integrating into our tolerant society, they undermine our values and therefore we must deport them to protect ourselves. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Why? Do you have tangible evidence to show a widespread, recurring problem to the effect that white children are being consistently targetted due to anti racism?
    No, such evidence hasn't been collected, or would be distributed due to the current state of politics. I think my point,even if it does not reach the education system as it may not, certainly stems throughout wider society in any case. Perhaps through a childs eyes, especially one in primary school, they will see everyone through equal eyes and the discrimination I mentioned will not occur. I somehow doubt this will be the case in secondary schools,especially inner city comprehensives.

"White flight" from schools,and indeed whole areas, is not a result of some spreading,racist idea through the white population. There are clear problems that stem from multi-cultural Britain which is isolating the majority,and democratically ethnically cleansing them out of certain areas,and schools.

Well do remember that the majority of children from non white backgrounds in schools are not immigrants. Most of them have grown up here, and so are not alien to the idea of white people or indeed British culture. I myself am perfectly comfortable with British culture, or western pursuits, e.g. going down the Pub as I am with my Persian culture. Most of my friends who are from a non white background are much the same.
    Whether they are direct immigrants or not is fairly unimportant if they live in a majority non- British area or attend a majority non-British school. I am not saying that this is the case for everyone, but it is fairly clear those who find they are not a minority in certain areas will not assimilate or adapt to mainstream British culture and in a way why should they? They come from an entirely different civilisation,and moving into an ethnic ghetto is just a home from home scenario.

Of course not. It's not that simple, often white British people are racist, and often non whites are. I don't think it's fair to blame it on any one group totally. I do think however that often the media paints an unrealistic and undesirable picture of ethnic minorities that makes parents believe schools with large numbers of ethnics are areas where white children go to die. Which is patent nonsense as most white and non white children get on fine.
    White British people are becoming increasingly less racist,however I see no evidence that the increasing immigrant and immigrant descendant population is cutting down on racism in any way. All anti racism campaignss that indeed schoolchildren are often the receivers of,carries the idea that white people need to be more liberal and accomodating and get rid of their racist ideas. The racism from non-white groups however, is left untreated to grow and continue.

The only "benefit" I've gained is being able to have the same rights as someone who's white British by heritage. I haven't won the lottery you know :rolleyes:
    On a wider scale, you have benefited from multi-culturalism because of the very fact you were allowed to be here due to mass immigration. The two go hand in hand.

(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Can we start deporting BNP supporters? I don't think they're integrating into our tolerant society, they undermine our values and therefore we must deport them to protect ourselves.
    I know you implied this was in jest, but you have made a very good point...

ReputationRep:
    No, such evidence hasn't been collected, or would be distributed due to the current state of politics. I think my point,even if it does not reach the education system as it may not, certainly stems throughout wider society in any case. Perhaps through a childs eyes, especially one in primary school, they will see everyone through equal eyes and the discrimination I mentioned will not occur. I somehow doubt this will be the case in secondary schools,especially inner city comprehensives.
    Ah I see. So they system is against you eh? Is it cause of the ZOG? :awesome:

I don't doubt it occurs in some schools, but certainly not in all, and it's certainly not a widespread form of thought amongst non whites. Therefore I find the reaction from White British parents hysterical and unnecessary.

"White flight" from schools,and indeed whole areas, is not a result of some spreading,racist idea through the white population. There are clear problems that stem from multi-cultural Britain which is isolating the majority,and democratically ethnically cleansing them out of certain areas,and schools.
    Again, unless you have sources to show that the non whites are directly responsible for this (as opposed to paranoia on the part of middle class white British parents) I can't really accept that as fact. I do accept racism happens against white children, the same way it happens to black, brown or mixed children, though I do not accept that White people are being driven out of their communities and herded into ghettos by the evil ethnic minorities.

Whether they are direct immigrants or not is fairly unimportant if they live in a majority non- British area or attend a majority non-British school. I am not saying that this is the case for everyone, but it is fairly clear those who find they are not a minority in certain areas will not assimilate or adapt to mainstream British culture and in a way why should they? They come from an entirely different civilisation,and moving into an ethnic ghetto is just a home from home scenario.

School is not the be all and end of your life. You're missing the point: it's pefectly possible to hang around with your own culture a lot but still adopt British culture and furthermore not turn into a white hater.

White British people are becoming increasingly less racist,however I see no evidence that the increasing immigrant and immigrant descendant population is cutting down on racism in any way. All anti racism campaignss that indeed schoolchildren are often the receivers of,carries the idea that white people need to be more liberal and accomodating and get rid of their racist ideas. The racism from non-white groups however, is left untreated to grow and continue.
    Yeah, could you give us some evidence that racism from non whites is equal to or exceeding that of whites when mass immigration to the UK first occurred?

On a wider scale, you have benefited from multi-culturalism because of the very fact you were allowed to be here due to mass immigration. The two go hand in hand.
    By that argument your mother is biased everytime she votes, cause 200 years ago she wouldn't have been allowed to. Your argument is ridiculous, it's neither here nor there or at all relevant. Your mother and women like her have a right that is undeniable and unequivocally hers, the same way every migrant/child of a migrant has the right to live and grow up free from prejudice. That is not a privelege or a benefit, that's a right.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. So they system is against you eh? Is it cause of the ZOG? :awesome:

I don't doubt it occurs in some schools, but certainly not in all, and it's certainly not a widespread form of thought amongst non whites. Therefore I find the reaction from White British parents hysterical and unnecessary.
    Naturally it won't occur in all schools, but in schools where whites are the minority not only in the school but also the surrounding area, I have no doubt it occurs in such a way as the minorities may have faced at the beginning of mass immigration in the 1950's, before the liberal brainwashing of Britain began.

Again, unless you have sources to show that the non whites are directly responsible for this (as opposed to paranoia on the part of middle class white British parents) I can't really accept that as fact. I do accept racism happens against white children, the same way it happens to black, brown or mixed children, though I do not accept that White people are being driven out of their communities and herded into ghettos by the evil ethnic minorities.
    It is common sense that non-whites are responsible. Having been subject to such inclusive,liberal minded brainwashing from such an early age as much of the current population have, it makes little sense that irrational judgements have been made on their part. Unrestricted mass immigration has flooded specific areas and created ghetto's there, and the treatment of white people in these areas amongst the natural climate of fear of living in what is effectively second world Britain, has caused "white flight" and the occupation of certain areas of the inner cities.

School is not the be all and end of your life. You're missing the point: it's pefectly possible to hang around with your own culture a lot but still adopt British culture and furthermore not turn into a white hater.
    Not in a predominant non British ghetto it isn't. In a truly mixed area,which are few and far between but do exist, I have no doubt the more educated immigrants are able to adapt and fit in to both cultures,most likely like yourself. The anti-white feeling that stems through majority ethnic areas is far greater than the anti-immigrant feeling that stems through majority white areas.

Yeah, could you give us some evidence that racism from non whites is equal to or exceeding that of whites when mass immigration to the UK first occurred?
    When mass immigration to the UK first occurred such racism from non whites would be hard to find, however many years on we are in a situation where white apologetics and liberal messages being directed solely at the white British population has resulted in the breeding of anti white messages in certain ghettos going unnoticed.

By that argument your mother is biased everytime she votes, cause 200 years ago she wouldn't have been allowed to. Your argument is ridiculous, it's neither here nor there or at all relevant. Your mother and women like her have a right that is undeniable and unequivocally hers, the same way every migrant/child of a migrant has the right to live and grow up free from prejudice. That is not a privelege or a benefit, that's a right.
    I'm not debating that every migrant/child has a right to grow up without prejudice, however it cannot be argued that mass immigration and multicultural Britain has not been to your own advantage in life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.