Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am completely baffled about this. When does the A* come into act. Like I'll be starting my AS Courses September 2009, so when I get my results in August 2010 the highest grade possible would be an A*???

And does that mean universities will change the entry requirements (increase them) according to the new system. And what would be the average grade boundaries for an A* (Im guessing 90%)

ReputationRep:
    80+ UMS at AS Level.
    90+ UMS at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makaveli_The_Don)
    80+ UMS at AS Level.
    90+ UMS at A2.
    I don't think 80% is necessary at AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masderchef)
    I don't think 80% is necessary at AS level.
    It is UMS not %

80+ UMS at AS level
    90+ UMS in all modules for A2

ReputationRep:
    I heard that Oxbridge and other leading universities will be changing their offer to one A* and two As.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry UMS. Okay so there really isnt anything to worry about. So before A* was introduced was the A UMS boundary 70UMS?

ReputationRep:
    90+ UMS on average in all modules.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you couldn't get A* at AS but only with A2.

With the universities at the moment only Cambridge are asking for it while many others and saying that they will wait to see how it's awarded to raise their standards or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    It is UMS not %

80+ UMS at AS level
    90+ UMS in all modules for A2
    From OCR website.

'Candidates achieving at least 480 uniform marks in their Advanced GCE, ie grade A, and who also gain at least 270 uniform marks in their three A2 units will receive an A* grade.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You can only get the A* grade for A2, in order to do this you need 80%+ UMS over the whole A-level (AS and A2) and 90%+ UMS in the A2 component.
    A deduction from my previous post.

If the specification states you need 480UMS (270UMS from A2 units) to achieve A*, then you would only need to achieve 210UMS at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masderchef)
    From OCR website.

'Candidates achieving at least 480 uniform marks in their Advanced GCE, ie grade A, and who also gain at least 270 uniform marks in their three A2 units will receive an A* grade.'
    I read what I posted from the AQA website.. or maybe it was Edexcel.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...des_at_A-level
    To get an A*, you must meet the following two requirements:

* 80% UMS overall (i.e. the current requirements for an A).
    * 90% UMS overall in the A2 units.

That's all there is to it. You don't get an A* for 90% overall. Only the A2 units (i.e. the units normally taken in Year 13) count towards the award of an A*. Even if you get 100% in your AS units, 89% in your A2 ones isn't enough for an A*.
    http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages/aea-ext-gce.aspx
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/EU34_MAR08_SUBJ.PDF

ReputationRep:
    How about the predicted grades at the end of your AS year. Can you be predicted an A* ? I Heard you can if you get 90+% in your AS modules. Is this true ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Indeed, but you could even get 100% UMS at A2 and only need 60% UMS at AS :yep:
    Yes, but what's the likelihood of someone getting low Cs at AS, upping their performance so much, that they end up with an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =EierVonSatan)
    I wasn't speculating on it's likelihood :p: Just merely commenting on the possibility
    Yeh, Iknow. I suppose it would would be awesome to get though.

ReputationRep:
    Is it only people who are in year 12 at the moment who are eligible to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    So you can get a B at AS and still get an A* overall??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    So you can get a B at AS and still get an A* overall??
    Yeah

I see in your sig that you did exams early...did you cash them in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MewMachine)
    Yeah

I see in your sig that you did exams early...did you cash them in?
    :yep: Economics, Physics and a Financial Studies Certificate, I carried on Economics to A2 in a different sixth form (thats the result im most worried about) and because they were different exam boards, I had to cash it in meaning I couldn't retake any modules (which was kinda annoying coz I was 2 UMS off an A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    :yep: Economics, Physics and a Financial Studies Certificate, I carried on Economics to A2 in a different sixth form (thats the result im most worried about) and because they were different exam boards, I had to cash it in meaning I couldn't retake any modules (which was kinda annoying coz I was 2 UMS off an A)
    Aww that sucks No reason why you can't have gotten an A for the full thing though

If you get the requirements for an A*, will you get your teachers to put it on your reference? (seeing as you can't get the grade)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MewMachine)
    Aww that sucks No reason why you can't have gotten an A for the full thing though

If you get the requirements for an A*, will you get your teachers to put it on your reference? (seeing as you can't get the grade)
    To be honest I haven't really thought about getting an A* in Economics, just been praying for the A lol if i get that I'll cry (with tears of joy) on results day :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.