Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    No we should not milk their system because we are not as closed minded and arrogant as the British of that time were, we are better than that. I do however believe that the Queen should return the jewels that were stolen from India simply as a gesture of goodwill.
    Closed minded? Arrogant? I don’t think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temptationsu)
    The British raped India, so shouldn't Asians living in the UK milk the British system as much as possible??
    Not just India - the entire Empire. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Closed minded? Arrogant? I don’t think so
    Closed minded? Arrogant? I think so. Anglicinising city names to suit themselves e.g. Mumbai to Bombay, putting the British flag in the Indian flag and the Queen thinking that she could actually rule India. Just accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Closed minded? Arrogant? I think so. Anglicinising city names to suit themselves e.g. Mumbai to Bombay
    So what? Having separate names for places in different languages is common. Made things a bit easier. It's not like we renamed the Punjab 'East Lincolnshire' or anything.

putting the British flag in the Indian flag
    Er, I believe the Union Jack was the only official flag of India at the time.

and the Queen thinking that she could actually rule India. Just accept it.
    Which Queen? Victoria? Well, why not - the British state ruled India for a good long time, and did so quite well if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Closed minded? Arrogant? I think so. Anglicinising city names to suit themselves e.g. Mumbai to Bombay, putting the British flag in the Indian flag and the Queen thinking that she could actually rule India. Just accept it.
    Bombay was the English version of the Portuguese version of the native name Bombai, that is not arrogance or close-mindedness.

What Indian flag, there wasn’t one before 1947. There was the flag of the British raj which naturally had the union flag in it alongside the star of India.

The Crown took over from the East India Company when that ****** up, note the Crown =/= solely the Queen but rather the British Government. I fail to see how this is close minded or arrogant in anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Bombay was the English version of the Portuguese version of the native name Bombai, that is not arrogance or close-mindedness.

What Indian flag, there wasn’t one before 1947. There was the flag of the British raj which naturally had the union flag in it alongside the star of India.

The Crown took over from the East India Company when that ****** up, note the Crown =/= solely the Queen but rather the British Government. I fail to see how this is close minded or arrogant in anyway
    Your right it was the English version of Bombai, however the British still did not refer to it in any remote way to its traditional names of Kakamuchee and Galajunkja, that is arrogance.

Regarding the flag, maybe I worded my original point wrong, I meant that instead of allowing the native Indians to design their own flag relating to their own culture the British simply plonked their own flag there with the star. They had no moral right to do that.

My final point regarding the Queen and the British Govt. The British should have allowed the native Indians to rule India or the separate states instead of allowing a foreign Govt. to control them.

ReputationRep:
    im not racist or anything but its nice to know that if u have true british blood, that blood dominated the world with its intellect and knowledge despite its tiny size. the romans were a joke compered to what we achieved.

ReputationRep:
    Your right it was the English version of Bombai, however the British still did not refer to it in any remote way to its traditional names of Kakamuchee and Galajunkja, that is arrogance.
    The city can only have one name, it’s the English version of one of the native names, what is your problem.

Regarding the flag, maybe I worded my original point wrong, I meant that instead of allowing the native Indians to design their own flag relating to their own culture the British simply plonked their own flag there with the star. They had no moral right to do that.
    The native Indians still had there flags for each princely state, the British flag was for the Raj which included a whole raft of different cultures which has been fighting for centuries, that would have been a very crowded flag lol.

My final point regarding the Queen and the British Govt. The British should have allowed the native Indians to rule India or the separate states instead of allowing a foreign Govt. to control them.
    That would have just been plain stupid to give up a territory as rich as the Indian sub-continent.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think Britain "raped" India but they didnt exactly handle the situation as well as possible. For one they only strted giving real thought to an all Indian government when they began to develop nationalism. If they had given serious thought Indian reprsentation they would have been able to hang on to British India, perhaps for a little longer and been able to avoid the partition of Pakistan and India.

However they did do great things for India, for example they helped overcome outdated culture by creating marrige age laws. Also they gave it a politcal system with which to run off, and aided it in joing a commonwealth. So in terms in creating a political democracy they succeded.

ReputationRep:
    if the British raped India, how come India now is a potential world power?

Surely the John Company and British Raj rule didn't screw India up too badly, did it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temptationsu)
    The British raped India, so shouldn't Asians living in the UK milk the British system as much as possible??
    but england raped everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieboy)
    im not racist or anything but its nice to know that if u have true british blood, that blood dominated the world with its intellect and knowledge despite its tiny size. the romans were a joke compered to what we achieved.
    The British are a mongrel race -- it is one of our greatest strengths. If we achieved anything, it is only by standing upon the shoulders of giants, wherever they were born, and wherever they lived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Indian Britain :king1:
    Soon everyone will be a PATEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL :king1:

J/k :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    OP: No.

ReputationRep:
    2 wrongs don't make a right ...

ReputationRep:
    No. The British had their fun raping countries etc, but now it's conveniently no longer acceptable i.e. Saddam tried to have some fun in Kuwait - look what happened.

Anyway, England has the largest Indian population outside India (Canada must be a close second), isn't that getting back enough?

The Queen should return the diamonds, *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    Anyway, England has the largest Indian population outside India (Canada must be a close second), isn't that getting back enough?
    How is that 'getting back', exactly? Most Indians are paying tax towards the country that apparently 'raped' them.

(Original post by AP_89)
    The Queen should return the diamonds, *****.
    Why the **** should she? You could apply this logic to all items which have been passed down through the generations.

Uneducated cretin.

(Original post by Ladipidoo)
    Soon everyone will be a PATEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL :king1:

J/k :ahee:
    I wish. :emo:

Would make it easier to find a wife though. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    How is that 'getting back', exactly? Most Indians are paying tax towards the country that apparently 'raped' them.

Why the **** should she? You could apply this logic to all items which have been passed down through the generations.

Uneducated cretin.
    major facepalm.

ReputationRep:
    The British massacred India, during the period of "good British governance" 25 million people were killed due to British economic policies, i suggest all people read Late Victorian Holocausts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.