malaria tablets Watch

dougiemacs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hey
im going to thailand cambodia and vietnam for a month this summer, and i have two malaria tablet options, doxycycline, which is £25 for the course, or malarone, which is £100. im leaning towards doxycycline, for obvious reasons, but has anyone taken either and hace any advice?
cheers!
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What's the difference? Is Malarone four times better?
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Both are supposed to be equally effective as prophylaxis. Doxycycline does have far more side effects than malarone, (Atovaquone and Proguanil) that does not, however, mean that you would be affected or that any side effects would be that important to you.
Apfel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They both work well or they wouldn't be sold.

Those things taste absolutely rank by the way, tip your head back and drop it down your throat, bypassing your tongue...try not to choke. Trust me on this one.
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.travelblog.org/Forum/Threads/3335-1.html

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=60275

Have a look at these two sites, the OP basically asked the same question as you did...
dougiemacs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
cool thanks guys, i guess ill go for doxycycline
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apparently in most if not all cases you can pick up anti malerial meds cheaper abroad (eg; at your destination) than at home. The only problem is that some require you to take them for x amount of days before you fly out. Something to bear in mind.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm going to thailand and taking doxycycline. You don't need protection in southern thailand btw (although if you are there in the middle of the trip you need to keep going as you keep taking it for 4 weeks after being in a malaria zone).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed