Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey
    im going to thailand cambodia and vietnam for a month this summer, and i have two malaria tablet options, doxycycline, which is £25 for the course, or malarone, which is £100. im leaning towards doxycycline, for obvious reasons, but has anyone taken either and hace any advice?
    cheers!

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference? Is Malarone four times better?

ReputationRep:
    Both are supposed to be equally effective as prophylaxis. Doxycycline does have far more side effects than malarone, (Atovaquone and Proguanil) that does not, however, mean that you would be affected or that any side effects would be that important to you.

ReputationRep:
    They both work well or they wouldn't be sold.

Those things taste absolutely rank by the way, tip your head back and drop it down your throat, bypassing your tongue...try not to choke. Trust me on this one.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.travelblog.org/Forum/Threads/3335-1.html

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=60275

Have a look at these two sites, the OP basically asked the same question as you did...

ReputationRep:
    cool thanks guys, i guess ill go for doxycycline

ReputationRep:
    Apparently in most if not all cases you can pick up anti malerial meds cheaper abroad (eg; at your destination) than at home. The only problem is that some require you to take them for x amount of days before you fly out. Something to bear in mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to thailand and taking doxycycline. You don't need protection in southern thailand btw (although if you are there in the middle of the trip you need to keep going as you keep taking it for 4 weeks after being in a malaria zone).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.